• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AI AXMC Long Action and Small Rifle Primers

jps24

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Virginia
Does anyone have input on using an AI AXMC Long Action with brass using small rifle primers? A few years ago I used the 6.5CM Lapua brass with small rifle primers, and the spent primer would mushroom. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is the AI AXMC long action not recommended to be used with small rifle primers?

Follow up: once I switched to large rifle primers I no longer had this issue.

Thanks.

I had issue in a couple platforms like AI and savage with the CCI 450 in 6.5.

The one thing for sure is make sure you’re using a small firing pin bolt. The LFP bolts will have way to much primer flow and eventually you’ll pop one and damage the bolt face. Bushing the bolt also works but then you’re limited to using that firing pin with that bolt or others bushed at same time as well

If you’re using a SFP bolt then try a harder primer or back the charge off. I got rid of my 6.5 because the speeds were crap compared to my 260. I would have pressure issues and could only run low to mid 2700’s with a 142 smk. Compared to 2800+ in my 260

I had issue in a couple platforms like AI and savage with the CCI 450 in 6.5.

The one thing for sure is make sure you’re using a small firing pin bolt. The LFP bolts will have way to much primer flow and eventually you’ll pop one and damage the bolt face. Bushing the bolt also works but then you’re limited to using that firing pin with that bolt or others bushed at same time as well

If you’re using a SFP bolt then try a harder primer or back the charge off. I got rid of my 6.5 because the speeds were crap compared to my 260. I would have pressure issues and could only run low to mid 2700’s with a 142 smk. Compared to 2800+ in my 260

I think I can only use a large firing pin in the long action bolt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the small firing pin can be used in the AXMC long action bolt body.

All 3 AXMC bolts used to be large firing pin only which sometimes would lead to cratered primers especially with small rifle primers, but AI now offers a full set of 1.6mm small firing pin bolts (308/300WM/338L) for the AXMC that play nicer with small rifle primers... but bring your wallet.

A complete SFP 308 AXMC bolt and small firing pin assembly is about $900, or you can buy the SFP bolt bodies individually at $750 each and then you need a small firing pin for your current firing pin assembly at about $120, or you can buy a complete small firing pin assembly for $550ish.

Or save some money and send your LFP bolts and firing pin off to LRI and have them bushed for $175 or so. I had LRI bush my 300WM and 308 bolts, don't have a 338L bolt yet. Works perfect with small rifle primers. The only drawback is you're now using a modified factory AI large firing pin so if something happens you can't just buy one from Mile High or Euro. If you go this route I strongly recommend buying a spare large firing pin and have LRI turn it down at the same time they're doing the bolts so you have a spare ready to go just in case.

I keep debating if I'm going to plunk down the big bucks to buy all 3 of the factory SFP bolts, but the LRI bushed bolts work great and were way easier on the wallet.

I think I can only use a large firing pin in the long action bolt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the small firing pin can be used in the AXMC long action bolt body.
They make SFP bolt with .473 (308/6.5) bolt head

You see them in the px here from time to time which would save some money.

Or just buy new or have existing lfp bolt bushed. As pointed out the bushed bolt is limited to the that firing pin.

When I owned mine I had the lfp bolt and lfp bolt bodies for my 300/338. Then a SFP bolt/firing pin assembly for my 6.5.

My gun started life as a 338 Lapua though. So it made most sense for me to buy the complete SFP bolt

Great. Now if I could just figure out if it's possible to get a 6.5x47 or 25x47 Lapua barrel for the AXMC? I've got an email sent in to Mile High Shooting to see if there are any barrels.
Talk to some guys who machine them. I’m sure you can but they could run into more feeding issues. I’m not positive on that though. Certain rounds in 6mm even in the short actions require upgraded AW/AT/AX mags to run reliably

Reliability would be my biggest concern. Otherwise talk to short action customs, Manzella or some others here who machine AI barrels on a regular basis. They could probably tell you

Also jump on the AI pic thread. Tons of info there from AI guys

Reactions: jps24