• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AI stock color

SANDMAN555

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
MIAMI FL
hey guys, greetings from the sandbox, and the war on terror!!! I am building a precision rifle for myself as a welcome home gift while i am over here. I was wondering if anyone know the best cerakote color to match ( or come close to) an AI tan AICS stock. If you have pictures they would be appreciated as well. Also Im looking for desert camo finish ideas to top off my weapon, so any pics of those are welcome too. Thanks everybody, and god bless.

Re: AI stock color

I think that the closest color match to those panels is Smith Brown, it is a color match to S&W's pistol frames. If I remember though it is still not all that close.
It is also a near exact color match to Marine MARPAT Khaki.
If you are looking for color matches the best thing to do is have everything coated the way you want it to look.

Here are a couple of examples of coated AIs:
nyv4fo.jpg

s10sn8.jpg

2pytca8.jpg

it does not necessarily have to be an exact match, but just something to go well with it. i mean i don't want the stock a dark color, and the metal a light one, you follow? also is cerakote the best thing to finish the rifle, its going on a virgin barrel and and a sandblasted action so its gonna be the only finish on the gun. anyone else have any desert cerakoted gun pics they can post?

P.S. what color would you say knights armament m110 sws

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunboy2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got another one coming, just finish this up last night, take around 2 hour for the mill, but finally done.
IMG_2903.jpg
</div></div>

whats this have to do w desert anything or ai tan stocks? im lost

You From the Sandbox, You haven't have enough Sand color?
How about this.
IMG_2847.jpg

Start out as Rem700PSS 26" barrel, cutted down to 20", do Muzzle break, Match Rechamber, Square Action, and lap Locking Lug...
does 1/4" at 100meter with 168grain, 45Gr BC-2 Powder.
IMG_2845.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunboy2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You From the Sandbox, You haven't have enough Sand color?
How about this.
IMG_2847.jpg

Start out as Rem700PSS 26" barrel, cutted down to 20", do Muzzle break, Match Rechamber, Square Action, and lap Locking Lug...
does 1/4" at 100meter with 168grain, 45Gr BC-2 Powder.
IMG_2845.jpg
</div></div>

wow that's a great looking gun. i like the way the scope matches. is that the factory AICS or did u finish them to match? LOL about the sand, its a welcome home gift to myself, kinda like a desert momento lol. some people like key chains, i like guns hahahahaha.

when your ordering one through a supplier you can specify the color afaik. I generally go with the rifles they have in stock and one of them I ordered happened to be available in Tan. The FDEs were a set of bought from stacey a year or so back when he was still selling them. The FDEs replaced the original blacks that rifle came with.

If you are having you barrel and action done anyway, just have him paint your skins too.

Niether of the AI colors are what I would consider sand color. Tan is very light and FDE is more like dirt.

Your best bet is going to be to have them spray everything at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the contour of those billets you call barrels? </div></div>

I would guess...

none </div></div>

That was kinda my point.....

I would guess they are a peach to shoot standing.
whistle.gif

The green and spare barrel are straight contour 1.25" all the way from the breach to the muzzle, while the sand color one are heavy varmint contour. here is another on off the mill yesterday.

IMG_2918.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFTexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Todd, what colors are the actions/bbls on the bottom two rifles? </div></div>
The middle one is Desert Sage and the bottom one is Coyote Tan.,owws

Another thought would be to coat the barreled action, rings and some of the accessories in the same color and not worry about trying to match the panels. It would end up giving you a nice two tone look. When you get around to getting your coating done, give me a call and I will give you a good price.
Thanks,

sounds good, I appreciate the offer. The thing is that the package i bought to build the gun comes w/ a 1 color cerakote finishing on all the metal for the gun (minus the scope because the finish is getting baked on)what i was thinking was the two tone idea and was looking for a color that was fairly close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDMAN555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds good, I appreciate the offer. The thing is that the package i bought to build the gun comes w/ a 1 color cerakote finishing on all the metal for the gun (minus the scope because the finish is getting baked on)what i was thinking was the two tone idea and was looking for a color that was fairly close. </div></div>
Just to let you know cerakote can be applied to a scope too. Even the bake on. It is just a matter of lower temperatures for longer periods of time. If you are wanting to match the fde AI panels then a color match is always possible. It is just a matter of taking the time to figure out the mixture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDMAN555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds good, I appreciate the offer. The thing is that the package i bought to build the gun comes w/ a 1 color cerakote finishing on all the metal for the gun (minus the scope because the finish is getting baked on)what i was thinking was the two tone idea and was looking for a color that was fairly close. </div></div>
Just to let you know cerakote can be applied to a scope too. Even the bake on. It is just a matter of lower temperatures for longer periods of time. If you are wanting to match the fde AI panels then a color match is always possible. It is just a matter of taking the time to figure out the mixture. </div></div>

OKAY WE WILL DEF TALK THEN. IT WILL BE TOWARDS THE END OF THE YEAR WHEN I LEAVE THIS SHITHOLE THOUGH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a secret to coating the AICS skins? I have heard paint doesn't like to stock. I am planning on using duracoat. </div></div>

Sand blast the crap out of it and wipe down with degreaser. With Duracoat it is a real pain. The best thing to do is a lot of light coats and let them cure overnight before applying the next one. That was the only way that I ever got Duracoat to adhere to AICS panels.
I've learned from many headaches. The black is the easiest to work with. It seems to have the least amount of oils in the panels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDMAN555</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDMAN555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds good, I appreciate the offer. The thing is that the package i bought to build the gun comes w/ a 1 color cerakote finishing on all the metal for the gun (minus the scope because the finish is getting baked on)what i was thinking was the two tone idea and was looking for a color that was fairly close. </div></div>
Just to let you know cerakote can be applied to a scope too. Even the bake on. It is just a matter of lower temperatures for longer periods of time. If you are wanting to match the fde AI panels then a color match is always possible. It is just a matter of taking the time to figure out the mixture. </div></div>

OKAY WE WILL DEF TALK THEN. IT WILL BE TOWARDS THE END OF THE YEAR WHEN I LEAVE THIS SHITHOLE THOUGH. </div></div>
Try and keep your spirits up and give me a shout when you get back Stateside.