• Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support
  • Precision Rifle 101

Check out this course from CR2 Shooting Solutions on essential skills to elevate your marksmanship.

View course

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint CompM3 vs ML3 with a PVS-14....

MrButterpants

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Recently bought a PVS-14 from TacticalNightVision (thanks Victor...great unit) and just for shits and giggles I mounted it behind an Aimpoint CompML3 2moa on AR....it works perfectly....but I figured due to that model not being designed for NV, there would be issues. When I mount it behind a M3 it looks the same! What am I missing here?

Is it possible that some ML3's were built to the M3 spec? When I first turn on the ML3 the red dot is not visible under any conditions for the first 2 clicks....even in a lightless room to the naked eye...but of course the 14 picks it up. On those settings with a moderate gain setting there's no blooming or washout....just a crisp dot. I've heard there is a possibility of 'burning in' the intensifier tube with bright light but this dot is much less bright then any ambient fixtures even from hundreds of yards away.....I'd put it on par with starlight.

I guess what I'm getting at is why charge 100$ more for a unit (M3) if both work for NV? Just chewing on the gov't tit more?

Hopefully someone with more experience on these units can chime in....

Re: Aimpoint CompM3 vs ML3 with a PVS-14....

Sorry for the delay, I just saw your post.

All of the Aimpoints can be used with Night Vision Devices. The M2, M3, M4, MPS3 and T1 are all designed with optimal lens coatings for IR light transmission to pass through the optics and into the NV tube, to be amplified. Other than these four systems, the coating is absent and the settings are different on the selector switch. There are some other issues like “downrange signature” that are involved, as well. This becomes increasingly important when on the two-way rifle range, which is where we suspect our NV capable devices to wind up. So, AP builds them accordingly. For the average user, who is not concerned about these things, the other models are just fine, just not quite up to the same specs. Hope this helps.

Edited, thank you for the 14 order, glad you're enjoying the gear!