• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Airbrushes and Airbrushing

Edited 8-13-12 – It has been brought to my attention that all my pictures are missing from this thread. Well, that's completely my fault. The server where I host my business website is the same place where I had those progress pictures hosted. I've recently started redesigning my website and those pics got deleted. I can't find any backups of them for the life of me. I have a Remington 700 that I am going to paint in the next few weeks. I will take new progress pictures of this project to go with the tutorial.

I believe most of the original tutorials will still be helpful even without pictures. For the meantime, I'll repost pictures of the finished rifles from the projects below along with some of my non-firearm artwork that I had posted up before.
Thanks for looking and sorry for the problems,
Matt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody. I have lurked on this forum for a long time. I have never really posted much because there are numerous other people here who are far more knowledgeable and experienced in everything firearm and shooting related. I have been thinking about painting some of my firearms and have come to the conclusion that I may actually be able contribute something of value to this forum after all.

I am an artist with a fairly extensive knowledge of the airbrush. I am going to use this post to try to explain the different types of airbrushes and some aspects of their proper usage. Over the next few months I will start another thread with progress pictures and explanations as I actually paint some firearms. I intend to use Duracoat and will paint some solid color, some camouflage, and some “detailed” work (possibly skulls or something similar).

I am not always very good at explaining things so you will have to help me out and let me know when something is unclear or has been omitted. Also, please feel free to ask absolutely any questions on the subject and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Please remember everything here is MY OPINION only, take it for what it's worth! As always, use proper safety. Some of these chemicals you will be spraying can be very dangerous. They can not only soak in through your lungs but also your eyes and skin. Do your research and read the MSDS sheets for your products. At the very least plan to spend the $30 or so on a proper respirator for your particular products and spray in a well ventilated area.

Types of Airbrushes
Internal Mix vs External Mix- The mix of an airbrush refers to whether the paint and air are mixed together inside the body of the airbrush or outside the body of the airbrush.

Single Action vs Double Action- When you push down the trigger of a single action airbrush both paint and air come out. (like spraying a “rattle can”/”Krylon”) When you push down the trigger of a double action airbrush only air comes out. While pushing down the trigger you can then pull back on the trigger and paint will come out. You can vary the amount of paint coming out of the airbrush by varying how far back you pull on the trigger.

There is absolutely no reason to purchase either an external mix or a single action airbrush. I'm not saying that if you already have one you shouldn't consider using it. With enough knowledge and experience, you can certainly make an amazing piece of artwork with one and you can certainly use it to adequately paint your firearm. However, you can find internal mix double action airbrushes for just as cheap, it will be easier to use, produce better quality results with less hassle and frustration, and have more functionality. Unless otherwise specified whenever I refer to an airbrush from here on out it I will be referring to an internal mix double action airbrush.

Siphon Feed vs Gravity Feed- The feed of an airbrush refers to how the paint enters the body of the airbrush. A gravity feed airbrush has a cup or bowl of some sort above the body of the airbrush and the paint naturally flows down into the body. A siphon feed airbrush has a cup or jar of some sort below the body of the airbrush and uses the airflow through the body to siphon paint up into the body of the airbrush. Neither one is necessarily better or worse than the other. In general siphon feed airbrushes will be used for more “production” type work such as T-Shirts and gravity feed airbrushes will be used for more detailed types of work such as fine art. As far as firearm painting is concerned I would suggest using a gravity feed over siphon feed. You will have a little bit less wasted paint and easier clean up. Either airbrush will work.

To make things a little bit more complicated for you. I use side feed airbrushes. There is no cup on top or jar on the bottom. There is a hole on the side of the airbrush where a cup is attached. Depending on the cup used this will be either a siphon feed or gravity feed system although it doesn't actually make any difference in this instance. I prefer side feed because it has the advantages of a gravity feed airbrush but there is no cup on top to obstruct either my view of what I'm painting or my finger from freely moving the trigger.

How an Airbrush Works
Very simply an airbrush is a tube with a needle and nozzle making a valve at one end. When the valve is opened an air paint mixture is allowed to spray out of the airbrush in a controlled fashion.

When you push the trigger of an airbrush, it opens a valve that lets the air flow through the body and out the tip of the airbrush. When you pull back on the trigger it moves the needle back through the body of the airbrush opening up the needle/nozzle valve that gives you control of the sprayed air paint mixture.

An on line search will surely give you a more detailed explanation. A cutaway view or exploded parts view of your particular airbrush will definitely help you understand how an airbrush works. Be sure to pay close attention to where all the o-rings are located.

Using an Airbrush
There are many factors that can be altered to change the spraying characteristics of the airbrush. Some of these are changed while airbrushing like trigger position, distance of airbrush from surface, speed/movement of the airbrush. Some can only be changed when not airbrushing. Such as thickness of paint being sprayed and air pressure (regulated at the compressor). It is all of these factors combined, in any given moment, that give you the desired characteristics and spray patter for any particular task.

It's important to consider the size of the nozzle when shopping for an airbrush. For something like firearms a relatively large nozzle is important for a couple reasons. It will allow you to have a wide spray with “lots” of paint being applied while still maintaining control of your spray. It will also allow you to use thicker paints and paints with larger pigments. Something in the .5mm to .35mm should work well for most applications. If you get much larger than .5mm you will lose some ability for detail. If you go much smaller than .35mm you will spend all of your time fighting the airbrush. You will be frustrated trying to get the paint mixture and air pressure just right. It will spray to little paint, spider, run, clog, spit, not spray smooth, etc...

Brands of Airbrush
There are many different brands to choose from. It is very much like firearms. All experienced airbrushers have their favorites. Choosing is very much personal preference.

As far as I'm concerned Iwata makes the best airbrushes. They are the best of the best. If you plan on doing a lot of airbrushing consider an Iwata. They are also one of the most expensive and have expensive replacement parts. As a professional it's completely worth the price to me, that may not be the case for an occasional user or hobbyist. Paasche makes a good affordable kit with different size needle nozzle combinations. They are, I believe, made in the USA. Badger makes a great product for a good price. They are also made in the USA and are known for their excellent customer service. Thayer and Chandler is another USA made brand that makes good quality airbrushes.

If you decide against Iwata stay with one of the brands I've listed, or at least made in the USA and you should be happy.

I will be the first to admit that there are certainly better airbrush artists out there; but, I am going to post up pictures of some of my non-firearm airbrush artwork to show you what can be done with an airbrush. All of this artwork was done by me and all of it is airbrushed. I also did all of the bodywork and clear coat where applicable.

I'm sure that was about as clear as mud so please let me know and I will try to make more sense of it. There is also no telling how much information I've accidentally left out so please let me know and ask any questions you have. I'll be glad to try and help you out. Also watch out for another thread sometime soon with more of a how to and actual work in progress pics of firearms being painted.

Re: Airbrushes and Airbrushing

Here are some pictures of stuff I've airbrushed.
sr.jpg

vargasstudy.jpg

grandpa.jpg

connor2.jpg

connor4.jpg

camo4.jpg

fish1.jpg

flameguitar1.jpg

fireguitar1.jpg

bmsg1.jpg

WOW, excellent. Love those red flames on the second guitar. Man those would look wild on my Duece.

Lots of talent posted there. Great thread with lots of info on airbrushes. Most of us can read forever but never achieve what some folks have naturally.

Amazes me how much talent people can have to create such a piece of art out of nothing.

Topstrap

Hey Matthew, Great work, I have had one rifle airbrushed by a local guy who specializes in vehicles. I love your guitar skull and the "Mike Level" like red flames. There is a market for your work on rifle stocks. Mostly the benchrest and F-Class guys will be interested (in my opinion). The "real" tactical guys here are pretty rough on their rifles and may not want to invest big $$ on a sweet airbrush job. Then there is me, I got soul and love to trick stuff up. I will try to PM you for some pricing. You might also look at accurateshooter.com and benchrestcentral.com.

The second rifle here is my next candidate for a new finish. Maybe something in flames or the skull look. We can discuss.

LSSO065.jpg

LSSO067.jpg

LSSO064.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

Topstrap, thank you. It's not so much talent or anything I have naturally. It's very much learned, lots of hard work, determination, willpower, etc... to gain the knowledge, technique, muscle memory, and maybe “eye” to be able to do this stuff. With enough time and determination pretty much anyone that has the dexterity to hold and use a pencil or similar tool could also do anything that I can do.

Buzzsaw, thank you. You are probably right about the benchrest community, It's something I will have to look into in the future. I am here at this forum because I am more drawn to the “long range tactical” types of rifles and shooting styles rather than the hunting or bench rest types. Feel free to pm if you want to talk about your future projects. That's a great looking blue flamed stock. I have done a motorcycle very similar to that.
blue4.jpg

ARPredatorHunter and M. Winslow, thank you. I'm glad to help. Let me know if you have any questions.

Now to start on some actual airbrushing. Instead of starting another thread I think I'll just continue in this one. Disclaimer: I'm going to show you how I do things. It's probably not the right way, quickest way, easiest way, or most efficient way. It is however, my way, so take that for what it's worth. Also, I am new to Duracoat, so if anyone more experienced sees that I'm doing something wrong, feel free to chime in. It won't hurt my feelings any, learning is what this thread is all about. If you have any questions on how or why I'm doing anything I'm doing, please ask.

Here is a picture of most of the tools, equipment, and supplies I intend to use for the Duracoated firearms projects.
gunp1.jpg

Here are the before pictures of my first two projects. The metal parts will be all Duracoated one solid color first. Next week I hope to get to a three color camouflage on the stock.
gunp2.jpg

First I use brake cleaner to clean and degrease all of the parts. It's important to get all of the oil off. Even what's in the cracks, corners, and pores of the metal. Next I use green painters tape to mask off anything that will not be painted. After that, I use a red scotch brite pad to thoroughly scuff all of the surfaces that will be painted.
gunp3.jpg

When that is completed, I arrange everything in a way that It can be painted.
gunp4.jpg

Rinse everything off with brake cleaner one last time, then clean everything again with Duracoat True Strip.
gunp5.jpg

I used three full cans of brake cleaner to prep all of the metal parts.
gunp6.jpg

Safety First!
gunp7.jpg

Shake the paint up, then shake it up some more!
gunp8.jpg

Mix up the color and the catalyst according to the directions. 12 to 1 I believe.
gunp9.jpg

Finally we are ready to airbrush!
Hold the airbrush like this. With your finger relaxed on the trigger.
gunp10.jpg

Not like this. You will have less control and fatigue your finger.
gunp11.jpg

Spray the Duracoat in light coats, don't try to get full coverage in one coat. It may take two, three, or four coats. Spray a little on something else to test your spray and make sure you have the airbrush working correctly, the correct consistency of paint, and the correct air pressure. Also make sure the color looks how you want. It will dry different than it looks in the bottle.
gunp12.jpg

I think I used 2 to 3 ounces of color and 1 ounce of clear for these parts.
gunp13.jpg

Hope this helps, I'll continue with the stock next week. Please ask any questions.

Excellent write up. Answered a lot of questions that I had about airbrushes and airbrushing. Your work is excellent... that Blackbird is unreal! I'd swear it were a photo.... wow...

Casey, that blackbird took a very long time. I painted it a little at a time here and there and unfortunately didn't keep up with my hours so I don't know how long it actually took. I want to say it was probably in the 50+ hour range. It may have been considerably more than that.

adkmtnman and dt00083, thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Very impressive work! You are very talented.

When it comes to applying firearms coatings, do you think an airbrush is a better tool for the job or a touch up gun? I can see where an airbrush is best for small detail like some camo jobs, but for one color covering which is best?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wackedoutstudios</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Casey, that blackbird took a very long time. I painted it a little at a time here and there and unfortunately didn't keep up with my hours so I don't know how long it actually took. I want to say it was probably in the 50+ hour range. It may have been considerably more than that.

adkmtnman and dt00083, thank you very much, I appreciate it. </div></div>

Hey dont mention it buddy.... totally unreal. Shown a few people those pics and all were floored... The sr71 totally blew them away.....
Wish I could draw a stick figure!

Excellent work wackedout. I'm thinking about trying my hand at some coating soon so I'm looking forward to more of your "how to" posts. I'm especially glad to see you here because I have a Colcord address. Hell, we're almost neighbors.
wink.gif
Look forward to your posts and keep up the good work.

okie

Thank you VERY MUCH everyone for the compliments!

Hntbambi, for solid color, a touch up gun will be slightly easier and quicker but will have a little bit more wasted paint. Either will work just fine. For anything larger than a firearm, or more of a production type setting, definitely a touch up gun.

Thank you everyone!! I'll try to get some more done and have some more pictures up in the next few days.

ARPredatorHunter, I use the hp-sbs, hp-sb, and cm-sb. For fine artwork in general the cm-sb is definitely best. It can be finicky however. I have a feeling duracoat may be too "grainy" of a paint to spray well through it even when thinned down. It is pretty overkill for this type of stuff anyway. Duracoat seems to spray just fine through the hp-sbs, hopefully it will spray ok through the hp-sb for detail work. After I try some detail work with the Duracoat I'll let you know how they do.

I have a couple of the HP-BCS, along with quite a number of Badger and Paasche and deVilbiss, which work great with DuraCoat and CeraKote and on the plus side they are on the less expensive side considering some of the Iwata brushes run into the many hundreds of dollars category

Hello everyone. I textured a couple stocks and am waiting on that to completely dry before I start on painting them. Maybe I can get to it in the next few days. I will quickly go over a few things that I have done in the past couple days.

I did a little bit more painting on one of the barreled actions from before. I can't take credit for the stock, it came with a USMC paint job on it. It is very simple to create the grassy effect. I simply made a mask by taping together some bristles cut from a whisk broom. Held this up directly to the surface and sprayed through it. Doesn't get much easier than that. I also intentionally created a little bit of distressed effect by leaving some paper towel fuzzies all over before spraying. Then later wiped them off leaving the lightest color to show through.
gunp14.jpg

As you can see I filled in the lettering on both stocks with black paint. The 308 on the bottom shows very well what it looks like before and after the paint is applied. I used One Shot, and simply filled up the grooves with a paint brush then wiped away the excess and kept wiping with a paper towel. I sometimes used mineral spirits to help. It's not as simple as it sounds, but it worked out ok.
gunp15.jpg

The stock on the top was textured with Devcon and the bottom with MarineTex. I won't go into much detail because it's been gone over quit a bit. However, the method I used to get the texture might be a little bit different. I first apply the product, then slap the stock with my hand, wearing a glove, to create the texture. It seemed to work well.
gunp16.jpg

Here you can see the mask I made with the bristles.
gunp17.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully I will have some more airbrushing up soon.

How about some three color camo?
gunp19.jpg

To start off I paint the stock a solid color. I then applied these masks I cut out of some vinyl mask material. Sprayed a second color, applied more masks. Then sprayed a third color.
gunp18.jpg

I removed the masks and decided the colors I chose had too much contrast. I then sprayed more paint over everything. This worked great and made the colors look much more similar.
gunp21.jpg

It turned out just like I wanted. I then apply flat clear to finish it off.
gunp20.jpg

Now for some freehand airbrushing.

I decided on a snake for this rifle. I printed it out, the size I wanted, on regular printer paper. I then cut this out and also cut out the silhouette in vinyl mask material.
gunp22.jpg

I then cut some of the dark areas out of my paper mask. This will be a guide for my freehand airbrushing.
gunp23.jpg

I paint the stock a solid color and apply my mask.
gunp24.jpg

I spray my camo pattern, in this case it's just the grassy effect as before, and then remove the vinyl mask.
gunp25.jpg

I hold my paper mask in place and very lightly spray a medium brown color all over the mask.
gunp26.jpg

Next I freehand airbrush some detail with the medium brown color. The paint is very over reduced. I probably have about 2.5 hours into the snake here.
gunp27.jpg

This is a bad picture. I now switch to a dark brown paint and continue freehand airbrushing until I am satisfied. I have about 3.5 to 4 hours into the snake. I could have done more but decided to quit here, I just didn't want to put any more time into a “truck gun”.
gunp28.jpg

This photo shows better what the snake actually looks like.
gunp29.jpg

The other side.
gunp30.jpg

I like the look of the grassy camo, and it's very easy to paint.
gunp31.jpg

I'll try to get better pictures of the snake. Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions.

Wackedoutstudios,
What do you use for an air supply? I was just given an old paash siphon feed and I have been told an aquarium pump is all I need. I have an air compressor with a separate portable tank, am I better off tapping off of that? Having a small aquarium pump would be nice for portability though....

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattja99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wackedoutstudios,
What do you use for an air supply? I was just given an old paash siphon feed and I have been told an aquarium pump is all I need. I have an air compressor with a separate portable tank, am I better off tapping off of that? Having a small aquarium pump would be nice for portability though....

Thanks</div></div>
i tapped into my big compressor, just put a small regulator on the airbrush line. been working good so far.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I sure appreciate them.

mattja99, what you need is a source of regulated, clean, dry air.

An aquarium pump might work but it will almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth. They make some small compressors just for airbrushing that are essentially the same thing, a diaphragm compressor without any external/storage tank, they are also just not worth it. With these compressors you will get a slight pulsing of air rather than a "constant" supply, which can show up in your artwork. Also, with these you will also have a harder time controlling your air pressure than a regulator on a regular compressor.

Any size compressor, with a storage tank, large or small will work just fine. From the $100 special on sale to the very large shop compressors. All you need is a regulator and possibly some sort of filters depending on your compressor.

An option for more portability is CO2. You can rent the tank from your local welding supply and get a regulator either there or from a beer making supply or possibly fountain drink supply stores. The big advantages to this are silent use and clean dry air.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.