• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Alignment Rod for a 22lr suppressor?

I use drill rod from McMaster. There are two sizes which may be useful for rimfire (0.207" & 0.212"); buy both because it's only about $25.

You will need them, because there are a disappointing number of firearms which have unacceptable run-out on the barrel shoulder. A few thou at that location turns into way too much at the end cap. The good news is that baffle strikes with a .22LR aren't typically catastrophic.

They are barely needed even for centerfire. I’ve been shooting suppressors for decades and the only baffle strike I’ve ever had was from me being dumb and “trying something.”

Look down the barrel from the chamber end. The human eye is very good at identifying bad concentricity.

Never used one. Never had a baffle strike. But if it’s crooked enough you’ll get a strike, regardless of centerfire v rimfire.

You can get away without checking alignment, right up until you can't - at which point you're on social media bitching about your favorite manufacturer's ability to rebuild your can in less than six weeks.

In the precision shooting world, I think we take for granted things such as concentric and square muzzle threads. While I agree that there may not be much reason to check the alignment on rifles from high-end manufacturers and gunsmiths, my experiences with higher-volume manufacturers suggests otherwise.

I assume you’re replying to me; the vast majority of my suppressors are on non-precision guns. Alignment rods weren’t even a thing until the last like 5-7 years, we somehow went 80+ years with suppressors without needing them and now everyone acts like you are a fool if you don’t spend $75 on a metal rod you’ll use once a year.

I know of two instances of strikes on high end rifles with work done from very high end manf and gunsmithing outfits. Not catastrophic...but definite strikes to baffles and end cap.

Don't want to use one....then don't. Not my suppressor so do as you wish.

But the "I never used one and I've been shooting suppressed since George Washington was President...har, har, har" strikes me as being as lacking in thought as saying "well, we didn't use seat belts for decades and I'm still fine"...unlike the many who died from such.

I really don't care if anyone wants to use one or not...I have a Griffin and yes, it doesn't get used often but it does get used and gets lent out if a friend needs one.

But the fact remains that the OP is looking for a source...not really anyone's opinion on the need for one.

Carry on, I'm out.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I don't know if I'm just crazy here, but I wrap painter's tape around a cleaning rod until it's just this side of snug in the bore, then check concentricity.

Not sure why folks need a precision machined part, but I can understand how folks want to be cautious.

Reactions: Baron23
Are alignment rods needed for 22lr suppressor as much as they're needed for centerfire? If so, not seeing much out there when looking around the internet. Did find one: https://accuracy-solutions.com/products/22-lr-carbon-fiber-bore-alignment-rod anyone use them or have other suggestions?
A.S. rods are good to go. 👍🏼

I have 3 Surefire/Geissele rods, and the rest are the A.S. alignment rods, including a .22LR one. They are very high quality, and Justin seems like a good dude. He’s one of very few that makes a 7mm alignment rod. I even talked him into making a run of .257 alignment rods a while back, so if anyone wants one of those, he’s got them in the carbon fiber version, which is super lightweight.

Reactions: Sblzrd65