All new gear setups

chase01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2024
Texas
Afternoon Folks,

Long story short, we had our house robbed ( I suspect a contractor, but whatever) All long guns stolen (all pretty old 7yrs. +/-) Insurance covered it all.

So, I'm on the hunt for new gear and Its been a while since I've done any shopping or any read any reviews.

Thought this would be the place to go. If we're going to get 2-3 new rifles, covering all the basic needs, what setups would you get?

I don't have a specific purpose, just your basic zombie apocalypse, burglar, occasional hunting and steel. Have in the area of about
2500-3K per not counting glass.

Appreciate it.

.223 bolt gun
6mm or 6.5 creed bolt gun
.22lr Vudoo or CZ 457

Then run of the mill build AR of your choice.

These rifles will allow you to shoot the myriad of competitions and have a good time.

AR because everyone should own at least one but enough for all your friends as well.

Reactions: chase01
For $ 3K you could buy a switch barrel action using prefits with 3 barrels, 2 bolt heads, and a stock. I think

Caliber barrels - 223/6.5CM/308
Bolt heads - 223/308
Chassis - Not sure

You may want to look at CDG's actions. I have heard good things. Others here can be of greater help than I can with the specifics.

A single rifle with multi-caliber capability has many uses.

Like Nik said, lot can be done with a switch barrel.

My Origins run heavy steel barrels in heavy stocks.
Quick swap to a Proof CF prefit and a CF stock (used) and they are an 8 lb hunter.

Works for me.

My 12 yr daughter is mtn hunting this year, so I had to get another light stock so she isnt hiking at 9500 ft with a 14-16 lb target rifle.

Reactions: chase01 and Nik H
-Knights armament sr-15
-Terminus action quick change barrel with mdt elite chassis
-vudoo 360 in hnt 26 chassis

2 different chassis give you the ability to go shoot for fun or hunt light weight. Knights because it’s priced right for you and their value goes crazy up when times get crazy. Buy the newest Kahles scope with super high fov and move that around all the rifles.

New account.
Dumb question.
Reeks of data mining or BS.

No one knows what you want to do, what you hunt, what your experience is, what your likes and dislikes are. Ask 1000 people and you will get 1000 different answers.

It's like asking a 12 year old if you gave him a million bucks what would he buy.

New account.
Dumb question.
Reeks of data mining or BS.

No one knows what you want to do, what you hunt, what your experience is, what your likes and dislikes are. Ask 1000 people and you will get 1000 different answers.

It's like asking a 12 year old if you gave him a million bucks what would he buy.
I scrolled through about 100 questions re: what’s the best….? Which would you buy…? But somehow my “what would you buy” was different? And WTF data am I mining, peoples thoughts on rifles? Hope the two paranoid cynical-ass people in here fill that void someday.

Reactions: Mumzergadol
I scrolled through about 100 questions re: what’s the best….? Which would you buy…? But somehow my “what would you buy” was different? And WTF data am I mining, peoples thoughts on rifles? Hope the two paranoid cynical-ass people in here fill that void someday.
Don’t listen to him. He’s a master of nothing.

Afternoon Folks,

Long story short, we had our house robbed ( I suspect a contractor, but whatever) All long guns stolen (all pretty old 7yrs. +/-) Insurance covered it all.

So, I'm on the hunt for new gear and Its been a while since I've done any shopping or any read any reviews.

Thought this would be the place to go. If we're going to get 2-3 new rifles, covering all the basic needs, what setups would you get?

I don't have a specific purpose, just your basic zombie apocalypse, burglar, occasional hunting and steel. Have in the area of about
2500-3K per not counting glass.

Appreciate it.
Do you hunt or shoot comps if both which must often and what do you hunt

Do you hunt or shoot comps if both which must often and what do you hunt
Hogs and deer. Not a lot, but occasionally. My question was more in terms of the “latest and greatest stuff” last time I was on here it was GAP, Larue, and Wilson, but I know stuff changes and brands fall in and out of favor. Appreciate it.

For the record, I’m replacing a phoenix 6.5, a noveski, and a home build

The ~null hypothesis~ is always:

Are you better off buying a $900 tikka
and shooting it for a year "as a research project?"

In other words, lets assume a magic widget rifle X doesn't exist.

Are you better at "guessing" what the best is, from a menu
or by actually going out there and shooting...and

discovering via trial and error...
(a/k/a experience...)

Reactions: R_A_W
Hogs and deer. Not a lot, but occasionally. My question was more in terms of the “latest and greatest stuff” last time I was on here it was GAP, Larue, and Wilson, but I know stuff changes and brands fall in and out of favor. Appreciate it.

Impact or loan peak manners foundation bix and Andy triggers scopes are pretty user/budget specific. Order a prefit or use a smith you like. I was a trigger tech fan for a while and they did take care of me on warranties but I switched to bix and Andy tac sport pro and won’t change again. 6.5/7/300 prc can’t go wrong on a hunting rifle. Then always a good ar with a low to no power optic. I like sons of liberty gun works and their warranty is insane if that’s not your style a good Bcm.

Appreciate all the input.
I'm in a rural town in Texas... putting my hands on these things before buying can be quite the drive.

Thank you
Where abouts? Lots of matches all over.

An origin action, prefit creed barrel, chassis of choice, bix or trigger tech and scope of choice is what I would do on my first again.

An origin action, prefit creed barrel, chassis of choice, bix or trigger tech and scope of choice is what I would do on my first agagain.
Origin, Impact, Defiance or CDG. I like how my Impact feels the best and hate the CDG measure with a ball tennon but I think all are beyond good.

You could always get a AI and go to the dark side....

Stephenville. Without going into dallas or something, most the places here pretty much have just hunting rifles
Gravestone is a new range opening up soon and is hosting a match in a month, in Lipan, looks like its 60% of the way to mineral wells from you.

I bet you could find a copy of most anything there, lots of impacts in foundation stocks in that part of the world but all sorts would still be present for you to see and feel.

Edit: crap, RAW beat me to it

Reactions: R_A_W
or
and

pick optic

To have a decent basic bolt gun that you could use for various task, .308 or 6.5, pick one and a decent scope.

Now if you have a specific requirement, then tweak the above to fill the roll.

Bottom line--you need to define what you need them for, be smart and spend wisely--and get a freaking good safe!

or
and

pick optic

To have a decent basic bolt gun that you could use for various task, .308 or 6.5, pick one and a decent scope.

Now if you have a specific requirement, then tweak the above to fill the roll.

Bottom line--you need to define what you need them for, be smart and spend wisely--and get a freaking good safe!
Appreciate it man... thats a lot of work. Had all in closet. Nobody comes this way... guess I was wrong. Lesson learned

Well, you could probably just buy a 6.5 Grendel AR for your hog and deer escapades. Look on this site for a dude named @LRRPF52 ’s posts on the subject.

Then buy a 233 Wylde upper for that same lower Install a nice trigger in that lower.

For a bolt gun, buy a Tikka. If you want, add a chassis. I like KRG chassis like the Bravo and Whiskey 3.

You could spend a lot more, if you want. But no comps, and maybe not a ton of shooting…I dunno? Seems like you don’t need some super fancy setup, although sounds like you might want one. That’s ok too.

You could also blow a wad on thermal and NV for shooting hogs (and coyotes).

If you were shooting longer ranges or small varmints, the sky’s (almost) the limit on higher mag optics. But you’re not doing that, it seems.

For a 22LR I like a Kidd Supergrade, which is a high-end switch barrel 10/22. It is sweet.

The Kidd is a switch barrel? What other calibers can you switch to?
None. But you can switch to different types of 22LR Kidd barrels even faster than you can with an AI.

I have a heavy 20” target barrel and their super lightweight 16.5” sleeved hunting barrel. Their QC system is very slick.

Reactions: Nik H