• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Alliant Reloader 17 accuracy?

fastgixxerlv

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Las vegas NV
Does this powder suck or what? Sure I'm getting higher velocities with Berger 185gr. VLDs, but the accuracy isn't where I want it. I've tried them jammed and off the lands and still getting over 1 MOA. What other powders can I try with the VLDs? I guess I can order but mostly limited to what Bass Pro has. They carry Hodgdon but never any Varget.

Re: Alliant Reloader 17 accuracy?

Yea...having the same issues myself with 17, faster but usually not as accurate. Sometimes there is a very narrow "node" in the ladder tests that it likes but generally it is more erratic.

I didn't like RL17 at first, but the 6.5 Creedmoor changed my mind. I picked up close to 200 fps over Hornady factory 140 Amax with my 142 SMK load. It must have gone right to the next accuracy node too. It shoots great (though I have only shot to 500 yds).
I never tried it in a magnum gun.

RL17 has shot well for me so far.

I just ran a preliminary load test for the new 6.5x47 and it was spot on. 39.1gr under a 123 Scenar put 5 shots in nearly the same hole.

I shot 38, 38.5, 38.8, 39.1 @ 5 shots each just to see what would happen.

There was a node on the low end at 38, then immediately opened up until it reached the 39.1gr load. It shrank dramatically. I'm gonna do some more testing at & around this charge weight to see what it gives me. I'm curious to see what the numbers are as well.

Wil
those loads seem on light side, but if they shoot

I run 42.7 under 123skinny in virgin brass
43.3 in fired brass

no ejector wipe etc, but definitely compressed load

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this powder suck or what? Sure I'm getting higher velocities with Berger 185gr. VLDs, but the accuracy isn't where I want it. I've tried them jammed and off the lands and still getting over 1 MOA. What other powders can I try with the VLDs? I guess I can order but mostly limited to what Bass Pro has. They carry Hodgdon but never any Varget. </div></div>

185s might be a tad light for optimum performance with RL17 (assuming 308 Win). I'm loading 50gr under a moly'd 208 AMax for 2620 fps and good sub-moa accuracy, from a 1/12 twist 20.5" Rem bbl.

These five went over the chrono at 2599, 2611, 2617, 2618, 2618 fps, measured at 30 feet from the muzzle.

IMG_2506.jpg

1050 yds, I fired 8, missed four (barely.....(wind).
IMG_2508.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this powder suck or what? </div></div>

Must be 'or what'.

My Sako Varmint 308 like heavy and fast. slightly less than 1/2 moa for 180 SMK or 200gr Accubond from a rest.

I'm another 208gr a-max guy using RL-17. I think Varget might be a tad more accurate, but I'm hoping to dial in the accuracy (like MontanaMarine has), because of the velocity gains from it.

Having a 26" bbl I'm getting a little better velocity anyways but I've always found using less powder is better for accuracy, so I'm hoping it will work out just fine. Over the next couple weeks I'll be posting my results in the 208 gr a-max with RL-17 thread.