New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

Gunsmithing Aluminum Oxide Blasting Action/Barrel

Insayn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
DFW, Texas
When blasting an action and barrel with 120 grit aluminum oxide in preparation for cerkote do you blast the raceway area and inside the action? The action is coated with black oxide. And what about under the scope base...do you typically remove it and coat it or do you leave it in place?

Re: Aluminum Oxide Blasting Action/Barrel

I turn a piece of aluminum to fit the bolt raceway and plug all holes before blasting @ 80 psi w/ 120 grit ao.

Took a quick, crappy picture to show you one that I have drying now.

On most M700's, the bolt is loose enough to allow cerakote to cover the raceway behind the bridge. If coating an aftermarket receiver or a 700 with a tighter bolt, I'll tape the raceway behind the bridge before putting the aluminum bar in and cut the tape so it only covers the contact surface of the raceway. This way, I don't have a sticky bolt on tighter fits.

Obviously, also plug the chamber with a rubber cork and stuff foam behind it to keep blasting media out.

Notice the wooden plug in the ejection port indentation to hold aluminum in and keep ao out.

This is air cure "C" series

002.jpg

You can get silcon plugs from Shercon to plug the chamber and bore.

I typically blast the raceway and coat it, unless i have reamed the reciever raceway and sleved to bolt to tight tollerances.

I also remove scope bases and insert the base screws part way so the heads get coated too.

No need to parkerize first.

Cerakote, if applied properly, is only one mil thick so you only get 2 mil total, which is fine with all but the tighest fit custom 700's.

-Ernie

NIC Certified Applicator and Primier Partner

To obtain the full benefits of Cerakote I was trained to strip the action and fully blast and coat it inside and out. Anywhere you miss is not getting the rust or wear protection that Cerakote is famous for. My bolts glide like they are riding on bearings when they are done. I remove all sight bases and coat them off the receiver. Handguns are done inside and out. The Cerakote acts like a lube. Makes them feel super smooth too.
img3368i.jpg

img3267js.jpg

I strip the action completely and also blast inside and out (after plugging the chamber) and coat everything. As Hired Gun said....very nice and smooth bolt surfaces.