• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Am I crazy?

308garand

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Mesquite, TX
I am thinking about changing the scope that I have on my .308. I currently have a Leupold Mark 4 PR 4.5-14x40 Duplex. I am thinking about possibly replacing this with a Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 FFP. The reasons behind this is I really would like a mil/mil scope and a little more magnification. My concerns are what kind of difference am I going to be looking at in glass and overall quality? This also leads to my second concern I have a lifetime warranty with the Leupold and the Falcon only has 5 yrs. Am I crazy for thinking about replacing my scope?

Re: Am I crazy?

I doubt you are insane, but that has little to do with scope choice! I like 14X in a scope, but if you really think you need more mag go for it.

If you sell the Leupold I believe moving up to a NF is doeable. Heard good and bad about Falcon, I personally go with lifetime warranties.

Good Luck

Unless you're hard up for money, I would say "big NO". I have a Falcon 4X14X44 on mine and I think it's a good scope for the money, but probably couldn't compete with yours. Put yours on gunbroker, be patient and save some additional money to get a NF.

I think a falcon would be a step back from you leupold. I recently got my first nightfoce, and also have a leupold mark 4 on another rifle.

I would suggest what I am going to do! Save up some extra funds, then sell the leupold and buy a nightforce.

You can look in the optics for sale section and see what guys are giving for a similar scope.

The Bushnell 3-12x44mm FFP Mil/Mil can be had for less than $600 right now. I don't think there is anything with the magnification you seek that I would give up the leupy for Until you get to Nightforce land. Some will probably tell you to give the Vortex Viper PST's a look, but they are so new that I am unable to say one way or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308garand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't have anything bad to say about the Leupold. There are just some things that I would like to have that it just doesn't do.

308</div></div>

this is the key, if the scope doesnt fit what you need from it, then you dont have the right tool for the job. a scope isnt all about the best glass or most magnification, its about which scope does what you need from it the best.

I just bought one in 56mm from a hide member, it seems to be a decent scope, but I haven't used it yet. It will be going on a .22 trainer today. I wanted to mimic my USO SN-3 on my big stick for much shorter cash, so it would be effective as a trainer. I too can see a Nightforce in your future, but if you go with this route for now, you will be training in the same style that you will later move up to. It is certainly a step down now, but a step in the direction that you want to go for later. Make sense?

Gregch44

What you said made perfect sense to me. I would love to have a USO but figure I'll probably upgrade to a NF before I make it to a USO. I really want a mil/mil scope but am not in a position to upgrade to a NF yet. I am thinking of trading to the Falcon and start saving for a NF. That way buy then I would already be use to the mil/mil setup. Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do?

With the nightforce you can go MOA/MOA works better for me at the range when I can't see impact and have to go down range to see targets to make adjustments! Just works for me, I'm sure not everyone!

i was going to buy a falcon menace and some people told me to just wait and get a more expensive scope...then i started reading people say how the reticle sticks and dosent fully return to the zero when you start cranking on the turrets...people were saying to use hair dyers etc to heat up the thick lube inside and that was enough for me to never want a falcon mencae... unless falcons come with a blowdryer in the kit its not worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dismas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the falcons... take off the turrets and manually wipe off most of the lube. Will take out the mush and help with this issue. </div></div>

the issue is supposidly internal...thick grease INSIDE the scope that makes the reticle stick up or down or what ever. just what alot have said...

I would save up and get the NF. You'll have enough dough before long , just start eating top ramen and youll be on your way. I have not heard someone say they didn't like or regret buying their NF.