• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

American sniper

Re: American sniper

That is pretty damn awesome, and the NightForce scope mounted makes the photo somewhat sweeter.
wink.gif
Thanks for sharing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Secluded on the top floor of a bombed-out four-story apartment building north of war-scarred Fallujah, Iraq, Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle is just getting comfortable.

It’s November 2004. Thanksgiving time. The second battle of Fallujah has launched, and Kyle is swaddled in silence atop an upturned baby crib, studying the enemy through a Nightforce 5.5-22x power scope attached to a .300 Win Mag rifle.

He’s feeling badass.

“We just got word that the president of Iraq said that anyone left in the city is bad — meaning, clear to shoot,” he recalled for The Post. “From that point on, every fighting-age male was a target.”

That was just fine with Kyle, who spent five weeks in the hideout, protecting Marines on the ground and bagging seven confirmed kills — adding to his official total of 160, making him the deadliest sniper in US history.

“After the first kill, the others come easy. I don’t have to psych myself up, or do anything mentally — I look through the scope, get the target in the cross hairs and kill my enemy before he kills one of my people,” Kyle writes in his new autobiography, “American Sniper.”

During his 10-year career as a member of SEAL Team 3, Kyle, 37, saw action in every major battle during Operation Iraqi Freedom.He became known among his fellow SEALS as “The Legend.”

The enemy was less complimentary.

In Ramadi, insurgents put an $80,000 bounty on his head and branded him “Al-Shaitan Ramadi” — “The Devil of Ramadi.”

“That made me feel like I was actually doing my job and having an effect on the war,” he said.

In north-central Texas, Kyle grew up dipping tobacco, riding horses and hunting deer, turkey and quail — a cowboy at heart.

He got his first gun at 8 years old — a bolt-action 30-06 rifle.

The son of a Sunday-school teacher and a church deacon, Kyle credits a higher authority for his longest kill.

From 2,100 yards away from a village just outside of Sadr City in 2008, he spied a man aiming a rocket launcher at an Army convoy and squeezed off one shot from his .338 Lapua Magnum rifle.

Dead. From more than a mile away.

“God blew that bullet and hit him,” he said.

For Kyle, the enemy is a “savage” — there’s no room for gray, only black or white. His Charlie platoon even adopted the insignia of the comic-book vigilante The Punisher, spray-painting skulls on their body armor, vehicles, helmets and guns.

“You see us? We’re the people kicking your ass. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfucker,” he writes.

The married father of two is now president of Craft International, an outfit that provides sniper and security training for the US military.

He teaches what’s required to take that perfect shot: Study the terrain, correct for elevation and wind, prepare for the vibration after the shot, and keep in mind the Coriolis effect, the effect of the rotation of the Earth on a bullet’s trajectory.
“You need skill to be a sniper, but you also need opportunity. And luck,” he said.

He retired a chief petty officer, and along the way, collected an armload of hardware, including two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars with valor.

“That’s just candy,” Kyle said. “That’s not why we were there.”
</div></div>

Source - The New York Post

sniper2-620x362.jpg

01.1n017.sniper2--300x300.jpg

01.1n017.sniper1--300x300.jpg

Doesn't reading some of the comments in that link make you want to go out and slap the "stupid" out of some people.

However, I think this guy got it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MeteoricLimbo
Posted on January 2, 2012 at 12:15pm
Methinks the moral of the story is that he has saved far more lives then he has taken.. .</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't reading some of the comments in that link make you want to go out and slap the "stupid" out of some people.
</div></div>

You'd tire yourself out before you managed to accomplish that.

Flyingbullseye

Just finished reading this book. My wife pre-ordered it on her iPad for me. I thought it was kind of cool when he talked about his preferred equipment and dropped George Gardner / GA Precisions name. I liked this book WAY better than that drivel "Shooter" from Gunny Coughlin. I would recommend this book, especially if you have an iPad. For $2 more you can get the "Enhanced Version" that has video clips in it too.

Operationally he was spot on. I was there in Fallujah for Operation Ripper Sweep, right after the contractors were killed. Ended up being a disappointment because we technically never crossed the Euphrates and entered the city but we secured the two bridges from were the BW guys were killed down to the damn. Had the damn place surrounded. Waited a few days to enter then we were told to pack up and head back to our original AO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He was just on Fox News. The reporter asks a bunch of stupid questions.....

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1363164924001/?test=faces</div></div>

That is no shit. I prefer Fox News when it comes to watching world and national news but damn, the news anchor couldn't have done any worse had she stuttered through the whole interview. If how she seems to stumble over her words isn't bad enough, the stupid ass questions are a bit too much.

How proud are you of being a Navy SEAL?

Why did you decide to be a SEAL?

Really?! She couldn't come up with questions better than that?

What an idiot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I thought it was kind of cool when he talked about his preferred equipment and dropped George Gardner / GA Precisions name.</div></div>

The Enhanced Edition of the e-book has a video of him shooting several rifles. One of rifles appears to be a GAP Gladius.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He was just on Fox News. The reporter asks a bunch of stupid questions.....

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1363164924001/?test=faces</div></div>

That is no shit. I prefer Fox News when it comes to watching world and national news but damn, the news anchor couldn't have done any worse had she stuttered through the whole interview. If how she seems to stumble over her words isn't bad enough, the stupid ass questions are a bit too much.

How proud are you of being a Navy SEAL?

Why did you decide to be a SEAL?

Really?! She couldn't come up with questions better than that?

What an idiot! </div></div>

Ahh man now you're just being mean. Jamie Colby is a board certified attorney, she's just not used to being in the presence of a real man!

Most of the fem-bots she works and socializes with think they are manly when they hit a good tee shot or shun a band aid when they get a paper cut!

I grew up in the presence of men who did amazing things in WWII. Most said few words about the things they saw or did. We emulated them and tried to earn their respect and approval. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago and the paradigm shift that glorified bumbling boob fathers, subordinate panzies, metro sexuals and outright penis puffers occured...

Many people today are re-acculturating themselves to a level of manliness that has been suppressed for many years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh man now you're just being mean. Jamie Colby is a board certified attorney, she's just not used to being in the presence of a real man! </div></div>Something tells me that Jaimie Colby has her choice of men, both real and otherwise.
wink.gif

article-2081430-0F522AB700000578-19_634x453.jpg

"Long shot: Mr Kyle poses here with the rifle, a .338 Lapua Magnum, he used to kill an insurgent from 2,100 yards away outside Sadr City"

That's a McMillan Tac-338, McCann NV rail, with a Leupold Mk4.

i completely shat a brick when i saw this, Chris actually grew up in my town! and is the 5th Navy Seal that this town has produce. One of the benefits of living in a place where all there is to do is shoot, drink, screw, ride horses 4x4 and fight. I wont disclose our little communities name out of the respect of him and his family, i haven't read the book but by what everything i have read I'm pretty sure he has not mentioned anything other than a town in Texas which half of Y'all probably can't even pronounce and, i still have a hard time spelling :), anyway it really just blew me away to know that such a bad ass was raised a few doors down from me, and that i can thank god that i never pissed him off LOL. Also, i can only hope that whatever gift he has was in the drinking water cause I'm drinking 8 cups a day!

Also for all of you " Night Force is the eyes of god" people out there, That's a good ole Leupold MK4 he made that 2,100 yard shot with. I don't wanna start any scope wars, just saying " Leupy still has her moments"

Would have been more impressive with irons
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jollyrancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also for all of you " Night Force is the eyes of god" people out there, That's a good ole Leupold MK4 he made that 2,100 yard shot with. I don't wanna start any scope wars, just saying " Leupy still has her moments"</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jollyrancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also for all of you " Night Force is the eyes of god" people out there, That's a good ole Leupold MK4 he made that 2,100 yard shot with. I don't wanna start any scope wars, just saying " Leupy still has her moments" </div></div>

He received the rifle with the Leupold Mk4 but swapped it out for a NF NXS 5.5-22x56mm w/ Mil-Dot reticle once he got there. He used the NF to take the long shot.

I heard an interview with Mr. Kyle on Sirius/Xm's O&A this morning while he was making the press rounds promoting his book. He seemed to have a great sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously (Very humble country boy, with no super-ego). He stated that his original intent of the book was auto-biographical and to bring light to how rough of a time families of deployed soldiers have it. The "greatest sniper in US history" tag was put on the book by the publicist, he never considers himself the best sniper or shot, he just happened to be in the right place with the right equipment and "got lucky" a few times. He wouldn't verify numbers and recounted how his first kill behind a sniper rifle was actually a woman (holding a grenade approaching a group of Marines).

He earned my greatest respect by verifying a callers report that he had been in a bar room encounter with Jessie Ventura. He stated that a bunch of SEALS and their family members had gathered at a SEAL bar to wake a fallen comrade. Ventura was in the area to speak at a BUDS graduation ceremony, when he stopped by. Ventura started speaking out about how the war was wrong and SEALS were killing innocent kids & children, when Kyle confronted him about how this wasn't the time or place for such comments. Ventura then stated how he was glad that some of the SEALS had been killed, when Kyle punched him in the face and dropped Ventura.

I'll buy the book just to support Mr. Kyle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jollyrancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that is the truth? then i re-tract my statement
frown.gif
but i am still pretty excited he was raised here. was that what he said in his book?</div></div>

It's okay, man. I promise I won't tell anyone.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard an interview with Mr. Kyle on Sirius/Xm's O&A this morning while he was making the press rounds promoting his book. He seemed to have a great sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously (Very humble country boy, with no super-ego). He stated that his original intent of the book was auto-biographical and to bring light to how rough of a time families of deployed soldiers have it. The "greatest sniper in US history" tag was put on the book by the publicist, he never considers himself the best sniper or shot, he just happened to be in the right place with the right equipment and "got lucky" a few times. He wouldn't verify numbers and recounted how his first kill behind a sniper rifle was actually a woman (holding a grenade approaching a group of Marines).

He earned my greatest respect by verifying a callers report that he had been in a bar room encounter with Jessie Ventura. He stated that a bunch of SEALS and their family members had gathered at a SEAL bar to wake a fallen comrade. Ventura was in the area to speak at a BUDS graduation ceremony, when he stopped by. Ventura started speaking out about how the war was wrong and SEALS were killing innocent kids & children, when Kyle confronted him about how this wasn't the time or place for such comments. Ventura then stated how he was glad that some of the SEALS had been killed, when Kyle punched him in the face and dropped Ventura.

I'll buy the book just to support Mr. Kyle. </div></div>

I was going to buy the book. Now that I learn he punched noted asshole, Jesse the fuckhead Ventura, I'll buy two!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard an interview with Mr. Kyle on Sirius/Xm's O&A this morning while he was making the press rounds promoting his book. He seemed to have a great sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously (Very humble country boy, with no super-ego). He stated that his original intent of the book was auto-biographical and to bring light to how rough of a time families of deployed soldiers have it. The "greatest sniper in US history" tag was put on the book by the publicist, he never considers himself the best sniper or shot, he just happened to be in the right place with the right equipment and "got lucky" a few times. He wouldn't verify numbers and recounted how his first kill behind a sniper rifle was actually a woman (holding a grenade approaching a group of Marines).

I'll buy the book just to support Mr. Kyle. </div></div>

Good for him clocking Ventura, he deserved it. But WTF, wasn't Ventura a SEAL back in the day? Either way a good ass kicking was called for.

Flyingbullseye

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhjHWovwix4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhjHWovwix4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I was going to down load the e-book but after hearing he punched out Jesse I said screw it, I ordered the hard copy, it should be a keeper.

It is definitly worth reading and the GAP/ George throw in was a nice touch. I have laughed out loud several time, (waking my wife twice) with his versions because he is so down to earth. If i ever meet him, a can of "cope" is on me. Read it and you will understand.

Of late, Ventura has become a big anti-government conspiracy advocate (9/11 was an inside job, HAARP controlling the weather, shadow government, etc) . He was UDT, which was the pre-cursor to the SEALs, which Mr. Kyle addressed in his interview.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to down load the e-book but after hearing he punched out Jesse I said screw it, I ordered the hard copy, it should be a keeper. </div></div>
Roger that.

Monsoor jumped on a grenade to save his buds...No doubt some of them were in attendance.
Ventura is an epic waste of an American passport.
Seals should have clipped that coupon.

OK I will support him and buy his book now, punched out Jesse - but I've lost 100% respect for Jesse Ventura - used to like the guy but if he said what he said he's a liberal in my book not an American.

I'll download the kindle version tonight - Kindles rock, 30 seconds and I have the book, no waiting..

Wow , that was out of order what Jessie said to ChrisnKyle about loosing seals m-what a dick !Still I dont knock all conspiracy theorys , if you do more fool you sheepls!!
I am trying to get the book over here but it wont come out until Feb.

I have recorded and uploaded the Chris Kyle interview with Bill O'Reilly. Send me a PM if you want the link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow , that was out of order what Jessie said to ChrisnKyle about loosing seals m-what a dick !Still I dont knock all conspiracy theorys , if you do more fool you sheepls!!
I am trying to get the book over here but it wont come out until Feb.
</div></div>

I can purchase the book here and send it to you but you'll have to cover all costs. The hardback retails for $20USD (including tax) and shipping won't be more than $10 max. Send me a PM if you're interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memyselfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just saw his interview on fox with Bill Oreilly. He definately held his own with Oreilly's questions. Bill was being an ass! </div></div>

Chris did very well in his interview with Bill. You're entitled to your opinion, but O'Reilly is known for asking questions that are on the mind of the general public. I lose sleep due to my past action, but I deal with it. I can't imagine what it's like to have 160 confirmed kills. Like O'Reilly said "most people don't understand war." I think Chris helped Bill and many more understand why and how he deals with it.

It was a great interview on both sides - IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you read Kindle books with Nook????? </div></div>

You can if you root it and install the Kindle app.

I bought it last nite and its written well, easy to follow. Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle so far comes across as a class act and a humble man.