• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

An is this powder bad thread.........

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
God how I hate threads like this, but with this crap being so darn expensive I just want conformation......at least as much as you can get from the internet.

It does pass the smell test but the coloring is just not quite right. It has been stored in the original container, it has been opened however, likely the last time I reloaded 7.5 French, so about 4 years ago. (The more I think about it I am back to the When in Doubt Toss it out).....but this stuff is going to eat a $50 bill. Just ticks me off.

It does not look right, when I dump it into the case, it is almost like it is wet, sticking to the neck. Screw it I am going to chuck it....but as I am this far in, here are the pics. Would you have chucked it?

In a somewhat lame ass defense I don't use Hodgen branded powers all that often, I usually go with IMR, or here lately VV. This stuff was H322.

I have not chucked it yet, so if a bunch of you say it is fine, I will load up 5 rounds and see what they do. Otherwise this stuff is going on tomato's. Anyone know how much I should put on pot grown tomatos? :)

1718889547031.png

1718889629626.png

1718889660412.png

Reactions: Krazy_jim
If it smells of ether it’s likely still good. If it’s in the plastic not metal container I would have a hard time believing it had gone bad unless it was stored in an improper way.
Did you have some leftover lube in the necks? That’s the only time I’ve seen extruded powder stick to a case neck.

Reactions: RTH1800
God how I hate threads like this, but with this crap being so darn expensive I just want conformation......at least as much as you can get from the internet.

It does pass the smell test but the coloring is just not quite right. It has been stored in the original container, it has been opened however, likely the last time I reloaded 7.5 French, so about 4 years ago. (The more I think about it I am back to the When in Doubt Toss it out).....but this stuff is going to eat a $50 bill. Just ticks me off.

It does not look right, when I dump it into the case, it is almost like it is wet, sticking to the neck. Screw it I am going to chuck it....but as I am this far in, here are the pics. Would you have chucked it?

In a somewhat lame ass defense I don't use Hodgen branded powers all that often, I usually go with IMR, or here lately VV. This stuff was H322.

I have not chucked it yet, so if a bunch of you say it is fine, I will load up 5 rounds and see what they do. Otherwise this stuff is going on tomato's. Anyone know how much I should put on pot grown tomatos? :)

View attachment 8442673
View attachment 8442674
View attachment 8442675
I'd have questions about that too (does it smell right, is its moisture content where it's supposed to be???) as it looks so washed out compared to a pic of H322 from the QuickLoad program:
H322.jpg

Interested to hear more about this smell test...

I have noticed that smokeless smells like something familiar, chemical like, but can't put my finger on it. Someone said above, ether. Not entirely what my nose says, but similar. So, what happens when it goes bad? No smell, different smell?

Interested to hear more about this smell test...

I have noticed that smokeless smells like something familiar, chemical like, but can't put my finger on it. Someone said above, ether. Not entirely what my nose says, but similar. So, what happens when it goes bad? No smell, different smell?
"You can tell if a can of powder is good or bad by giving its contents a sniff test. If the smell ranges from no detectable odor to resembling alcohol, ether or acetone (from its solvent content), it is okay. If you get a terribly unpleasant, acidic odor that fries your nasal passages, extreme deterioration has taken place. The odor is difficult to describe, but my nose says the experience is quite a bit like taking a strong whiff of the fumes produced by muriatic acid.​
Any change — regardless of whether it is physical, chemical or otherwise — indicates time for disposal. If a brown or rust-colored fume escapes from the container when you open it, the powder is unsuitable for use. The plastic cap on one of the containers of powder that went bad on me was originally blue in color, and the chemical changes that took place inside had actually bleached it snow white. Sudden rusting of the metal cap of a container is also a sure sign of bad things going on inside."​

"You can tell if a can of powder is good or bad by giving its contents a sniff test. If the smell ranges from no detectable odor to resembling alcohol, ether or acetone (from its solvent content), it is okay. If you get a terribly unpleasant, acidic odor that fries your nasal passages, extreme deterioration has taken place. The odor is difficult to describe, but my nose says the experience is quite a bit like taking a strong whiff of the fumes produced by muriatic acid.​
Any change — regardless of whether it is physical, chemical or otherwise — indicates time for disposal. If a brown or rust-colored fume escapes from the container when you open it, the powder is unsuitable for use. The plastic cap on one of the containers of powder that went bad on me was originally blue in color, and the chemical changes that took place inside had actually bleached it snow white. Sudden rusting of the metal cap of a container is also a sure sign of bad things going on inside."​
I think it is like when you smell that stuff that makes you wake up if you pass out. You can't say just what it smells like, but you do know it when you sniff it. I actually knew one guy that thought it smelled good.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Put it on a piece of white paper . Do You see anything other than powder extrusions ?. IF Not You're GOOD TOO GO .
Powder deterioration will generally dust reddish brown and have an acidic smell .

Had an OLD OLD can of Hercules Red Dot which when opened reddish fumes came out of the can .

So I set an electrical cap charge on top of the 8 lb. cardboard container opened the cap ,ran back to the ignition charger and popped it off .

Made a hell of an explosion sound wise ,as the fumes ignited flashing down into the keg and it blew sky high . I used to spread it like fertilizer but hell what did I buy fertilizer for , too Use . So watching it pop off was way more satisfying .:cool:

Fyi : I've still got a lb. of 1963 Hodgdon powder Bruce sold via mail which came in a cardboard tube and use it for 7mm Rem Mag, hunting loads ,hasn't failed Me yet . I purchased numerous lb.'s off Hodgdon's old Military surplus 1945-52 powders , IMR 4831 H870 even BL- C2 .

I remember IMR 4895 was $0.78 lb. and old 4831 along with Vulcan powder was $0.62 in bulk packages of multiples of 5 lb. .

US Mail wouldn't allow larger parcels of powder back in them days .

Point being is stop and think about this : I'm still USING 80+ year old Powders and haven't screwed up anything yet .

Here's a Tip for all you who store powder ; Use a chest freezer preferably a manual defrost unit as the humidity is about spot on and cold storage won't hurt a thing . You can even leave an older powder open inside for a few days NO more than #3 ,so as to bring a drier powder back up to desired humidity . When powder is made and packaged it's RH is around 55% .

Reactions: PusherX11