Annealing Order Video

FNG1001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Just saw this video. Title is click-baity, but it had me thinking.

Anyone have strong feelings about annealing very first thing vs after cleaning? The guy in the video does.

It’s not about strong feelings. It is a fact that annealing forms an oxide on the brass which increases friction when seating bullets. This friction can raise seating pressure to a point where the seating die starts mangling bullet noses. This usually occurs when seating pressure exceeds 100 PSI. If you keep seating pressure down to 50-70 PSI the round will be happy.

There are a number of ways to deal with the oxide. One way is to let the case prep process smooth it out. Another is to apply lube to the surface. Another is to remove the oxide. Or a combination of the above.

Just saw this video. Title is click-baity, but it had me thinking.

Anyone have strong feelings about annealing very first thing vs after cleaning? The guy in the video does.

Yes, that oxidation coating left behind after annealing should be removed or lubed before sizing or seating bullets.

The sizing isn't much of a big deal, except . . . that oxidation layer is quite abrasive and can cause faster wear on necks of sizing die dies. Cleaning that layer off helps with getting more consistent neck sizing. Same goes for the interior of the neck when an expander ball or mandrel is run through the neck for the intended neck tension.

First thing I like to do is anneal my brass, then clean that oxidation layer off. Because I don't typically process much more than 100 cases at a time, I simply use some steel wool on the outside of the neck. Then size the case without an expander ball followed by cleaning the Imperial Sizind Die Wax in a vibrator tumbler with rice. That cleaning action cleans up the interior of the neck some and leave a thin film of lube where the follow up sizing with a mandrel runs very smooth.

What if you anneal dirty brass, never clean it and apply lube before sizing? Does the carbon inside the necks still provide a type of lubricant or barrier against the oxidation? With the exception of the outside which can be lubed before sizing?

put some lemi shine into hot water in a bowl drop the brass in and watch that oxidation disappear.

Reactions: straightshooter1
What if you anneal dirty brass, never clean it and apply lube before sizing? Does the carbon inside the necks still provide a type of lubricant or barrier against the oxidation? With the exception of the outside which can be lubed before sizing?

put some lemi shine into hot water in a bowl drop the brass in and watch that oxidation disappear.
The carbon left inside the neck will still develop an abrasive oxidation layer when annealed. To mitigate that abrasiveness, lube can be applied or runing a bore brush through it will help. That Lemi Shine in hot water can do the job. But, you'd better be sure to give the brass a thourough rinsing. And afterward, you may not have as much of the lubracating benefit on the inside of the neck that the original powder residue tends to provide.