• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Another "can I run 260 in a 700 long action?" thread

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Done lots o' searches and didn't find what I was looking for.

Have a 700 L/A that currently exists as a 30'06 and is collecting dust...thinking about using it for a build. I could utilize the standard bolt face long action for a 284/280AI or even a '06, but I already have a couple 260s and am fully equipped to reload for it, so I'm inclined to go that way.

I know the M24 is a 700 long action and doesn't have any problems shooting 308, but as a Savage guy I do have some questions I'm hoping Hiders can help answer:

1. Any issues feeding a 308-based cartridge from a '06 BDL mag box? Is a mag spacer & cut follower necessary?
2. Are there any 700 LA DBMs that utilize AICS-pattern 308 magazines?
3. I am aware Badger makes the 306-84 M24 DBM and 306-85 BDL drop in DBM that both use AI AE Mk1 magazines. Other than availability, any downside to using AE Mk1 mags?
4. What needs to be done to reliably run a 308-based cartridge from a AICS 300WM magazine? Spacer & cut follower, bending feed lips?

Thanks...

Excuse the "Apples and Oranges" reply but my situation is somewhat related.

Took a seldom used Rem 700 LA BDL in .280 AI and turned it into a .308 Win. I do seat a little longer than the traditional 2.810" of GMM but not much more.
I've only tried feeding from the mag a few dozen times, and it worked fine with 2 rds. Never tried more than 2 rds.

FN in MT