• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Another FNG scope recommendation for a range toy.....

DubfromGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2020
Good evening folks.

I bought a new .308 Win range toy over the weekend....waiting on shipping to FFL now.

I also have a walnut stock that I'm sanding & finishing for it....in the event I want to goof around and swap it on occasion.

tempImagewjc7u0.png

I also have a SOCOM16....not sure what overcame me....but had some birthday $$$ to spend. Good enough reason. My son and I will have fun with it. He enjoys the SOCOM16.

I want to scope this new Springfield and carry it along on range trips and have fun with it. Nostalgia?....yep. I may even take it on a hunt or two, from certain stands.

I have other guns that are being used for hunting & target work....these have ATACR's, Razor Gen3 6-36 and a VX6 on a .270 deer rifle.
It is hard to go backwards when buying scopes.....I tried with some Arkens on other range toys. I've found the Arkens to have great turrets and their reticles work for me......I am wanting to keep those features but upgrade the clarity to within my budget.

Many of you likely try more different scopes in a single season than I'll try over my lifetime.
Figured this would be the group to ask.

• bying new from lgs or solid online sources
  • $1,200 cost limit
  • 5-25-ish power factor
  • 30-34mm tube with 50-56mm objective
  • MIL turrets
  • MIL tree reticle
  • non-illuminated isn't a deal breaker, I seldom use it other than the FireDot on my .270 every so often.
  • best glass I can get for the $$$$
Will be working up an affordable & decent accuracy handload on the 200yd range that is 10 mins from the house. Looking forward to plinking with it at further distances when I drive to longer ranges.

Local shops mainly cater to the deer hunters.
It is hard to evaluate one prior.

I never see Riton or Athlon in local stores. I'm not opposed to either brand....just haven't spent much time researching things.....yet.

Thanks for your time indulging a grumpy ole dude who has added yet another .308 that needs glass.

(y)

Ran across this one.....leaves some $$$ in my pocket.​

Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 x 50mm. EBR-2C MRAD reticle​

$659

-----------------

Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR III 5.5-30x56mm​

$1,099

Still mulling it over.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
Good evening folks.

I bought a new .308 Win range toy over the weekend....waiting on shipping to FFL now.

I also have a walnut stock that I'm sanding & finishing for it....in the event I want to goof around and swap it on occasion.

View attachment 8497513

I also have a SOCOM16....not sure what overcame me....but had some birthday $$$ to spend. Good enough reason. My son and I will have fun with it. He enjoys the SOCOM16.

I want to scope this new Springfield and carry it along on range trips and have fun with it. Nostalgia?....yep. I may even take it on a hunt or two, from certain stands.

I have other guns that are being used for hunting & target work....these have ATACR's, Razor Gen3 6-36 and a VX6 on a .270 deer rifle.
It is hard to go backwards when buying scopes.....I tried with some Arkens on other range toys. I've found the Arkens to have great turrets and their reticles work for me......I am wanting to keep those features but upgrade the clarity to within my budget.

Many of you likely try more different scopes in a single season than I'll try over my lifetime.
Figured this would be the group to ask.

• bying new from lgs or solid online sources
  • $1,200 cost limit
  • 5-25-ish power factor
  • 30-34mm tube with 50-56mm objective
  • MIL turrets
  • MIL tree reticle
  • non-illuminated isn't a deal breaker, I seldom use it other than the FireDot on my .270 every so often.
  • best glass I can get for the $$$$
Will be working up an affordable & decent accuracy handload on the 200yd range that is 10 mins from the house. Looking forward to plinking with it at further distances when I drive to longer ranges.

Local shops mainly cater to the deer hunters.
It is hard to evaluate one prior.

I never see Riton or Athlon in local stores. I'm not opposed to either brand....just haven't spent much time researching things.....yet.

Thanks for your time indulging a grumpy ole dude who has added yet another .308 that needs glass.

(y)
Burris XTR-3i 5.5-30x56 SCR2 MIL in an ARC M-Brace 1-piece mount on top of your pic rail saddle mount. 👍🏼

Reactions: DubfromGA
Burris XTR-3i 5.5-30x56 SCR2 MIL in an ARC M-Brace 1-piece mount on top of your pic rail saddle mount. 👍🏼

(y) (y)

I've used those American Rifle mounts with my two largest & heaviest scopes.
I freakin love 'em.

I think I'll go that route again with this gun, too.

The weak link will be the saddle mount, I suppose.

IMG_3002.jpeg
IMG_5250.jpeg