Night Vision Another HD Thermal Thread (maybe this time?)

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    In the past the HD thermal discussion has boiled down to cost and sensor sizing. Well, it looks like DJI may have figured something out with the cost side at least?

They launched their new Zenmuse H30 Series gimbal a few months back and it sports a 1280 sensor and 45 deg FOV with some other image processing modes that seem cool. It would be interesting if this had slightly narrower FOV to really increase the range of the sensor, but nothing is perfect (and 45deg FOV with resolution equivalent to ~22.5deg FOV 640 cores is sweet).

What’s interesting, is even though the gimbal has a 905nm rangefinder, night vision camera (sounds like an IR illuminator too), and a high quality day camera, it costs under $10k at the one place I see with a price. Which leads me to believe the thermal sensor has to to be under $8k right?

Are we finally marching towards a useable / affordable HD sensor? I understand a drone gimbal and a weapon mounted clip on are meaningfully different, but seeing a COGS reduction should benefit everyone right?

That didn’t take long haha. Fingers crossed they make a 75mm version to take advantage of the HD sensor. Not sure a 17.5deg FOV unit excited me because the 8.8deg 640 units pair perfectly with my MK5 2-10. Now something that could handle the 2x on my 2-10 and the 18x of the 3.6-18 would be very interesting