Another Rig Explodes in the Gulf

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
looks like a devoloping story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/02/oil-rig-reportedly-explodes-louisiana-coast/

Disasters
Oil Rig Explodes Off Louisiana Coast

Published September 02, 2010
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments (0) Text Size DEVELOPING: The Louisiana Coast Guard is responding to reports of an offshore oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard told Fox News Radio that all of the crew members on the rig are alive and have been safely accounted for.

The rig is reportedly owned by Mariner Energy.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Casey Ranel said the blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. CDT on Thursday.

Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.

Ranel said it hasn't been determined whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard. Ranel said smoke was reported but it is unclear whether the rig is still burning.

Authorities have not confirmed whether oil has spilled into the ocean.

Re: Another Rig Explodes in the Gulf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At this rate we'll end up with a permanent ban on drilling and paying $15/gal. </div></div>

Sounds like someone's agenda coming to life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At this rate we'll end up with a permanent ban on drilling and paying $15/gal. </div></div>

Sounds like someone's agenda coming to life. </div></div>

Someone's agenda to avoid the entire gulf coast from becoming an uninhabitable cancerous wasteland with no sealife?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At this rate we'll end up with a permanent ban on drilling and paying $15/gal. </div></div>

Someone's agenda to avoid the entire gulf coast from becoming an uninhabitable cancerous wasteland with no sealife?

</div></div>

you have no idea what you are talking about. the media blew the deepwater horizon incident waaaaaay outta proportion. i personally worked on the clean up efforts offshore from mc252 out to Pensacola.

13 people on board? sounds like a production platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At this rate we'll end up with a permanent ban on drilling and paying $15/gal. </div></div>

</div></div>

you have no idea what you are talking about. the media blew the deepwater horizon incident waaaaaay outta proportion. i personally worked on the clean up efforts offshore from mc252 out to Pensacola.

13 people on board? sounds like a production platform. </div></div>

Pardon me if I don't plan on swimming down there any time soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sabotage? </div></div>

This crossed my mind as well. Kind of convenient timing just when the Chosen One's ban is being seriously challenged in the courts.

these things happened before the bp spill. from reports we are hearing it was not and upset in the production process which caused the fire. possibly something in a welding shop or living quarters. the fire was reported to be away from the actual production side of the platform.

for this to be compared to the horizon event in ridiculous. its beyond apples and oranges. the horizon was drill ship drilling a test well in 5k+ of water. this fire was on a production platform, which had been producing since 1984, in just under 400 feet of water.

I don't worry about the oil and the gulf is fine to swim in! I have been scuba diving since the deep-water horizon disaster in Florida and Alabama. seafood is safe too eat as well so no fears.
grin.gif

If you won't swim in the gulf, I guess we'll have to wait for those fellas from Jersey and NY to come back down. Can't wait for the hairy backs, big guts and Speedos. YUCK!!

One was a drilling rig, the other (Mariner) was a production platform. Both have inherent dangers, but in no way even a comparison. This happens, folks realize that it is actually dangerous to produce and search for oil, then it goes away with the typical "out of sight out of mind" I have been in the energy industry a long time, I see nothing new.