• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anschutz Receiver Top Not Flat for Scope Mounting

sgrayner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
New Hampshire
I purchased a new Anschutz 64 MPR last month and I've been having trouble getting scopes mounted correctly. I first tried the the Weaver two-piece mounts, and I couldn't get the scope to align with the barrel. It pointed too far up. I tried a tight-fitting one-piece aluminum mount from Rimfire Technologies and it also pointed too far upwards. When I removed the Rimfire Technologies mount and looked at the scratch marks from the underside of mount to the top of the receiver I easily figured out the problem. The scalloped receiver was manufactured with high points along the top surface. In particular, the forward section of the receiver shows few scratch marks between the begining and end of the section because those were high points protruding about the mounting plane. I've since installed a Rimfire Technologies 20MOA rail (excellent piece, by the way) that lets me zero a scope so the rifle is now workable. In the long run I'd like to have the receiver fixed so that it's flat across the top. I'm waiting to hear about Anschutz repair/service. These new scalloped receivers are defintely problematic.

Receiver.jpg

Re: Anschutz Receiver Top Not Flat for Scope Mounting

try the bkl scope rings they mount in the dove tails and have worked well on the 4 cz actions I have used them on. Also I have glass bedded the scope bases to actions and that can work very well. The only problem is you have alot of areas to have a mechanical lock so used clay to fill the areas.

Re: Anschutz Receiver Top Not Flat for Scope Mount

BKL.jpg

The BKL Rings are very nice and a good work-around solution. Unfortunately, I need an option for shooting at 200 yards and I can't get enough elevation with this setup. Same thing with the Warne 7.3/22 rings.
Warne.png

My rifle is actually workable with a 20MOA mounting rail from Rimfire Technologies and Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts. It has the added benefit of the plastic inserts not scratching the scope tube. This is a good thing when one is mounting and removing scopes multiple times because the rifle builder didn't make a flat receiver and one has to troubleshoot what the .... is wrong with the rifle.

I received Merkel-USA's reply to this problem from Herbert Wohlmuth. They will help find a work-around mounting solution to their non-flat receiver. They won't have the receiver milled to a standard zero radius or replace the rifle. The new scalloped receivers were designed to alleviate glare (I guess to their peep sights). The old dimpled-top receivers had no problem with mounts that touched the top surface. The new receivers may require mounts or rings that attach only to the dovetail grooves and do not contact the top surface. They won't pay for anything. They don't consider the receiver humps as a manufacturing defect.

I'm very disappointed. Betrayed. I was lulled by Anschutz's good reputation. That reputation is now suspect. Caveat Emptor? New Anschutz 64 scalloped receivers may present scope mounting problems. If you're trying to mount a scope on a scalloped receiver and don't know about the humps, you're likely to have problems zeroing the scope. I'm not generally a litigious person, but I'm thinking Class Action Suit. Any lawyers out there?

Yes. Merkel-USA did recommend this as a work-around solution. Not a bad solution either. They recommended a gunsmith to customize the rail. Now that I know the exact location of the humps because of the scratches, one could dremel out the underside of an aluminum rail. The one I have from Rimfire Technologies is almost too pretty to risk mangling up. I'll ask Bob if he'd undertake a custom project. Too bad Anschutz won't be ponying up any money for this.

Thanks

Did the mount index off the rails or the top the the receiver on the old guns? If the mount rested on the rails of the old guns and the new guns have taller receiver that makes the mount not sit on the rails then looks like the mount is not made for that new receiver. I would mill the bottom of the mount or bed it and get scope on it and go shoot and not worry about whats not right.

Had the same problem in March when I picked up my 64 MPR. Worked with HotRod9mm(Hide call sign)/ Bob at Rimfire Tech. The last mount we exchanged slid on with no problems. Send Hot Rod a PM and be specific about the model Anschutz you have. You can drop my Hide name and say its the same rifle/mount I had. I don't think the mount I'm using is listed in the catalog but Hot Rod know which one it is.

Give him a try - my 64 MPR been pretty consistant at 450 yards with a SS 10X42 and TPS low rings.

Gunfighter25

I looked at this new receiver model 64MPR Anschutz tonight.It left me skeptical.So did their new .223s too.

I have an older version.I used Warne two piece weaver style bases and Burris signature rings.

van

M.Werks looks like great stuff! It looks like they do quality work and would be more than competent enough to build a 64 action solution. But look what I now have in possession and on my rifle!

RTSide.jpg

Bob at Rimfire Technologies already had a solution in the works and this mounting rail DOES NOT touch the the bumps on the top surface of the scalloped receivers! It slides in the 11mm dovetail grooves and screws onto the receiver at the factory drilled and tapped holes.

RTEnd1.jpg

You can see under the mount. No bump touching. Well, maybe you can't actually see under the mount because my photography is off a little, but trust me, the mount doesn't touch.

I'm still disappointed with J.G. Anschutz GmbH and Company. Their poorly executed scalloped receiver design delivered bumps that caused many to pull their hair out trying to mount a scope. No warning. No explanation. Their catalog list of supported mounts is bogus. Merkel-USA helped only by directing you to work-arounds. At least Rimfire Technologies was on top of this (pun intended). They have a timely and elegant solution. I highly recommend this company!

Steve

for Zia Shooter 1: Both. The old dimpled receiver tops were, for mounting purposes, flat. For several years now they've drilled and tapped the the top surface. Or you could mount in the grooves in the 11mm dovetail. The new receivers aren't any taller or wider. The radius of the dovetail is just the extended receiver radius. No change there. What's changed is that the forging (or however they form the receiver) generates humps of steel at the top edges of the dovetail at the scallops. These rise maybe .030" above the radius and cause havoc in the effort to zero a scope.

Rimfire Technologies has got me a mount where they've milled the underside so it doesn't touch the bumps and rides in the grooves. It looks like it's going to work nicely.

I'm a lot happier now. Still miffed at Anschutz. Off to zero the scope and do some shootn practice.

Steve