Rifle Scopes Anti-Cant Bubble Level

Re: Anti-Cant Bubble Level

I have one of each and really like the side mount, when looking thru the scope a slight glance to the side and it's right there. The other I have on my scope since I've been taking it off and putting it back on for testing purposes it's helped in getting it realigned really easy. But when I was using it by itself I had to raise my head slightly to see it. The base mounted one that sticks out the side is much faster and easier to see for me at least.

Topstrap

im cheap, lol. i bought the B-square level. fits on the rail, is small enough to not stick out and snag stuff. plus its only $10. true is doesnt fold away, but it really doesnt need to as small as it is.

nice. but the slope one is $70 unless i am not seeing everything. still thats a good price for that combo of things. just the angle deal is $90 then you need a base for it from another maker. plus they come in 1", 30mm and 34mm. score, good deal BadBot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im cheap, lol. i bought the B-square level. fits on the rail, is small enough to not stick out and snag stuff. plus its only $10. true is doesnt fold away, but it really doesnt need to as small as it is. </div></div>

I bought one of these and a year later, the liquid was mysteriously gone.. and it was just chilling in the safe with no abuse. I suggest you look elsewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im cheap, lol. i bought the B-square level. fits on the rail, is small enough to not stick out and snag stuff. plus its only $10. true is doesnt fold away, but it really doesnt need to as small as it is. </div></div>

I bought one of these and a year later, the liquid was mysteriously gone.. and it was just chilling in the safe with no abuse. I suggest you look elsewhere. </div></div>

I have one of these also, and Ill give a +1 to looking elswhere because it does not do what its supposed to. When you tighten the bolt on the side to old it on the rail, it messes with the level. I put a small level on the rail to make sure the rifle was plumb, then I installed the B-Square level and they did not match up. The more I tightened the bolt, the more the B-Square level got canted.

MSG,
I uss something similar, except it is offset and easier to see from shooting position. Don't need to lift your head to check level. Sinclair International sells it . It is called an offset level, and mounts to your scope tube.

Bluejazz,
I don't need to lift my head up I simply view it with my right eye (shoot left handed) it's mounted right up against my ocular lock ring. I never liked the way US Optics and similar stuck out the side.

the base mounted. 2 functions in one, it levels your rifle, then you can level your crosshairs on a plumb line or level line drawn on a target.

then you know your crosshairs are level, matched to your rifle.

plus it's easier to see with both eyes open.

wow, i never have had an issue with the B-Square. had it for 10 years at least. had it on several rifles. no problems with it yet. when i remount my scope i will check it against the level-level-level kit i bought. maybe ill use a few more levels of levels to level my level, lol

I'eve had a USO, and a B-square, but my new rifle will have a Tubb level right behind the Tubb muzzle brake, simple and easy to see, mounted securely to the rifle.

I've got the B-Square,never had a problem. just ordered another,be here tommorrow.
Guns988.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im cheap, lol. i bought the B-square level. fits on the rail, is small enough to not stick out and snag stuff. plus its only $10. true is doesnt fold away, but it really doesnt need to as small as it is. </div></div>
Big +1. I almost bought the USO one, but figuered I try the B-square level (Thanks, 427Cobra!!). It works very well. The machining of it was a little off, so it needed to be shimmed slightly on one side to be level. Other than that, works great.

A while back a picture was posted of a S&B PMII with a side mounted anti-cant level.
If I recall correctly, the level was said to be a Tubb's design and was designed for a 34mm tube.

Has anyone seen this? I have tried to find the thread and haven't had any success, nor can I find any reference to it on SSS's web site. The level looked like a good compromise between the rail mount-easy to see, jab me in the back style and hard to see in position top mount level...

Thanks

i have the same problem with the b-square, so i tightened the shit out of it and bent it slightly to be "unlevel" in the other direction, then i eased up on the tightening until it fell back to level.

if you have the funds, and a reason to actually use it, buy the better rail mounted anti cants. however i'm a cheap bastard at times, so i figure with the same amouont of funds, i can put one on many rifles.

also with the b-square, be carefull of how low your scope is to the rail, and how much rail you have left to mount it. you may have to file down the top of the bubble to fit between optic and rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back a picture was posted of a S&B PMII with a side mounted anti-cant level.
If I recall correctly, the level was said to be a Tubb's design and was designed for a 34mm tube.

Has anyone seen this? I have tried to find the thread and haven't had any success, nor can I find any reference to it on SSS's web site. The level looked like a good compromise between the rail mount-easy to see, jab me in the back style and hard to see in position top mount level...

Thanks
</div></div>

Yeah, they are available directly from SSS, Tubb's site. I bought one and it weighs nothing and seems as well thought out as anything else offered. You have to call them as it is not listed on the site. It is about $30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back a picture was posted of a S&B PMII with a side mounted anti-cant level.

Thanks
</div></div>

Yeah, they are available directly from SSS, Tubb's site. I bought one and it weighs nothing and seems as well thought out as anything else offered. You have to call them as it is not listed on the site. It is about $30. </div></div>
Thanks for the response,
Looks like I will have to make a call.

Ideally wouldn't it make sense to have a scope mounted one? only because you would want your scope level regardless if the rail is a little off or if the scope in the rings is a little off??? I agree it's sort of a pain to mount the scope one to get it level with the scope x-hairs maybe... or maybe it doesn't make that big of a difference?? I am also contemplating scope vs. rail mounted too.

When I set a weapon up to mount a scope I vice the rifle, then put a level on the chamber, one on the rail, one on the scope turret and hang a plumb line. When the scope is mounted correctly I then add a scope mounted level. I use a couple scopes on a couple different rifles and for me the scope mounted level works best plus I just don't like a rail mounted level. I've only had one scope that the vertical reticule was not "square" with the tube, It was a USO and I sent it back.

The one that uso makes is the way to go. It mounts to your base and is very sturdy, I dont like the one that mounts to the scope for 2 reasions. The first is I dont like anything mounted to my scope and second, most important the base mounted one is the only way to know if your rifle is truely level b/c you can mount the scope one out of square. I know as long as you hold it the same all the time you will impact the same place but if you hold the rifle crooked and you adjust your scope it will not impact in the intended direction. The base mounted ones also help in mounting your scope level to the rifle.

I like my folding USO on the base. The design had me skeptical at first because its reading will change as you tighten the screw after folding it out to use. Just need to be sure the screw is secure as John from USO stated. It lets me make hits out to 1000 yards on my .308 so all skepticism in its design has been resolved for me. Easy to see through left eye while looking through scope too.

I just got the B-Square model and mounted it to the rifle, I didn't want to remove the scope to mount it, and was able to mount without removing the scope. I have some questions;

1. The level makes very light contact with the scope body, is this going to cause an issue? When I say light, I mean that I could put the level against the rail and mount it without using any additional pressure, but I was aware that it was touching the scope.

2. Since I didn't remove the scope, I wasn't able to check to ensure that the base was level, and then install the b-square and check for squareness before mounting the scope. I used a level on the elevation turret of my Leup Mk4 to compare the level and they don't match up perfect, is it possible that the turret is slightly off?

3. Regardless of whether the level is perfect or not, even if it's off a bit, the fact that I at least have a method to ensure repeatable cant (assuming there were some), I would still be more consistent than if I had no level at all. Am I correct in this thinking? I'm going to see if I can rig up some sort of plumb line in the backyard, i'll have to wait until the wife gets home though, and then i'll have to admit that I bought some toys without consulting her.
crazy.gif

I have the other model which is the scope ring type level that's going to mount on my .22. I don't have enough room on the scope to mount on my .308, coupe that with Warne rings which are taller on top (check out the design online and you'll know what I mean) which wouldn't allow me to see the level without raising my head up. It'll work great on the .22 I think, i'm going to mount it up later.

Branden

Dust,

My B-square was not 100% level with the scope. I had to shim mine on one side slightly to get it level. I put a level on the top of the scope turret (which was previously leveled to the rifle) and leveled the B-square. Mine is still not dead nuts level. But when the bubble is touching the left-side hash mark, the rifle is level. I don't know about your slight contact with the scope, but I think it would be ok.
You do need to make sure you are level, because any cant will not make your adjustments true. If it is canted to the right some, and you dial up to 1K, then your impact will be to the right some.

the only reason i was saying to make sure you're scope is level i guess was for doing hold-overs... if you're rifle was level but the scope was not, and you had a rail mounted one - the hold-over and wind adjust would be off at distance, right... but you're rifle would be level. All things being the same, but this time, it was mounted on the scope (and it was level with the cross-hairs) then the holdovers and wind would be ok... the rifle would be canted and to the side a little.

Guess if you don't have your scope mounted square to the rifle - either level (rail or scope) would cause an issue... unless you don't do hold-overs for long range. I was thinking the horus reticles. Maybe i'm completely confused now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dust,

My B-square was not 100% level with the scope. I had to shim mine on one side slightly to get it level. I put a level on the top of the scope turret (which was previously leveled to the rifle) and leveled the B-square. Mine is still not dead nuts level. But when the bubble is touching the left-side hash mark, the rifle is level. I don't know about your slight contact with the scope, but I think it would be ok.
You do need to make sure you are level, because any cant will not make your adjustments true. If it is canted to the right some, and you dial up to 1K, then your impact will be to the right some. </div></div>

Mine was the same, if I have the bubble level on the rifle touching the left side black mark on the glass tube, it's level, or at least very, very close. I have to assume that the gunsmith that built the rifle, and remounted the scope, remounted the scope properly. I haven't thought about checking it out myself yet, it's on the long list of to-do's.

My last time shooting at 700 yards at a match yielded a nice group that was around 1/2moa to the left, I can't be sure for sure (don't remember) if that was wind that moved the group, or maybe there was something else. But now that I have the level, i'm hoping that it will eliminate, or at least minimize, one more factor that effects groups at longer ranges.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only reason i was saying to make sure you're scope is level i guess was for doing hold-overs... if you're rifle was level but the scope was not, and you had a rail mounted one - the hold-over and wind adjust would be off at distance, right... but you're rifle would be level. All things being the same, but this time, it was mounted on the scope (and it was level with the cross-hairs) then the holdovers and wind would be ok... the rifle would be canted and to the side a little.

Guess if you don't have your scope mounted square to the rifle - either level (rail or scope) would cause an issue... unless you don't do hold-overs for long range. I was thinking the horus reticles. Maybe i'm completely confused now.

</div></div>

I have never used holdovers myself, however i've never been in the situation where rapid target engagement was necessary. I've always been able to casually observe the target, take a range reading, plug the numbers from the Kestrel into the PDA, do this and that, perhaps take a drink of water, dial elevation, windage, and then take the shot. I need to get away from that. I saw a post that i'm going to write down from the "Shot show 2010" thread that had a conversion to convert your drop chart to mils so that mil-dot reticule users can use holdovers. It's something i'm going to start practicing with as it's a skill that I need to reacquire.

Branden

yeah... i have a semi-auto 308 with a horus scope (i want to get better optics) but mines good for varmint / target shooting. So if your scope is mounted square with your rifle - ideally it should matter which one you use for accuracy issues, it matters what you have room for/ money for... knob locations etc. I guess i would go with the rail mounted one.
If i mount the scope the Sniper's hide way with feeler gauge and bottom of scope is truly square, then rail mounted would be perfect because it would also be square with the scope. Plus it will be easy to move from rifle to rifle that has a rail.

Of course inside the scopemount or inside the scope to prevent parts that sticks out and possible can get destroyed by accident.
But on the other hand, who had guessed that I wouldent answer that question that way.......:)
Håkan

MCquade

Sorry but are you left eye blind?
On scopes with built in level you see the level with your right eye, and with mounts with integrated levels you see the level with your left eye.
easy....

Håkan

The B-squares break easily if you bump them, but they are OK for a cheap solution if you are careful with your gun, also don't tighten the screw very tight or you will crack the clamp part in the Vee.

The USO ones are better, but seem to stick out too far and are always in the way, messing with the cover on and off and/or folding it out is a pain, too.

I find the Vortex and Holland's style (Tubb makes a little one, too) that clamp around the scope tube are the least in the way, and don't stick out past the parallax knob on my scopes. You can see them with your off eye without moving your head, or more important, shifting your focus away from the target. The Holland's has the biggest brightest level of the 3 I mentioned.

I don't like the scope tube clamp-ons that are directly above the tube, as you have to move your head to see them.

Spuhr's solution may be the best (in the ring base), but I don't know if you can see them without moving your head, or at least changing your target focus. The rest of his mount looks very well thought out, so I'm sure he's thought of that, too.

I know when I look at the bottom of my ring, it takes my focus away from the target.

DSC00083.jpg

Not blind I just don't own a scope with a built in level. And I wasn't negating anything anyone previously had said. I have seen some levels on the top scope ring and others attached to other parts of the scope and rail. If you are a belly shooter not a big deal. But if you regularly shoot from uneven terrain and from alternate positions the ability to see your level without breaking position (no matter what level you are using) is critical. That's all.

A level you can see without even changing your focus away from the target is the very best, ie, just see it in your peripheral vision.

I can see mine and never even have to change my FOCUS on the target. With both eyes open, it looks like the level is actually in the FOV of the scope, my brain superimposes the 2 images together.

If it is very low, you have to move your eye down and take focus off the target.

Tubb's level at the end of the barrel would be the very best, but would be pretty easy to knock off on a tactical rifle.

Hellbender

You better ask some of the recent buyers of the scopemounts if they can see the level that way you describe.
Personally I can see it that way, but I belvie you want any others peoples opinion

Håkan

I have tried both from USO and do not think I was ever sure they were level. What do you level from. I can not find two places on the action on any rifle that are exactly the same. Close, but not exact. I can get close with my eye. I use Rem, Borden and Nesika actions, among others. Try this, put two Badger rings on the rail, remove the top halves. Set a 3 ft carpenters level on the rail, and the top of each of the ring halves. Which one is level? Who knows? I am guessing this will be an unpopular post, as most do not like to hear that the "tacticool stuff" that they want serves no purpose, but that is what I have found. JMO
RTH