Any Auto's reaching out Past 1000?

Re: Any Auto's reaching out Past 1000?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a DPMS LR-260 that I shot successfully past 1400yd on a couple of occasions. </div></div>

This is what you need to do that with an auto-loader.

338th.jpg

www.rndrifles.com

I asked the question because my Buddy is buying a 338lm. Since its going to be just for banging steel or punching paper I wanted to do a short action that would keep up with him in the distance department. Then I thought it would be a better jab if I could do it in an AR platform auto loader. I didn't realize that there are some big guns out there based on the AR lower.
Now you guys made me think of another question.
As far as accuracy goes, is there noticeable differences between the bolt gun and auto loader at 1000 using the same caliber, optimum load for each platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As far as accuracy goes, is there noticeable differences between the bolt gun and auto loader at 1000 using the same caliber, optimum load for each platform? </div></div>

Some of the writings from snipers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan contended that the M110 lagged behind the M24A3's, accuracy-wise "at the longer ranges". I've not been able to find out exactly what "lagged behind" meant on any quantifiable measure, nor what they considered "longer ranges". I would be very interested in learning of someone's actual data to support this claim.

My info was from History Channel and the Military Channel shows on the subject, as well as books such as the one on Seal Team 6 Sniper, (guy who fought in Mogadishu), and the most recent one about the Seal sniper with 150 kills (downloaded it to my Kindle); both of those books also make reference to what I wrote above, but they didn't really put any quantifiable data to go along with what they stated, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As far as accuracy goes, is there noticeable differences between the bolt gun and auto loader at 1000 using the same caliber, optimum load for each platform? </div></div>

Some of the writings from snipers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan contended that the M110 lagged behind the M24A3's, accuracy-wise "at the longer ranges". I've not been able to find out exactly what "lagged behind" meant on any quantifiable measure, nor what they considered "longer ranges". I would be very interested in learning of someone's actual data to support this claim.

My info was from History Channel and the Military Channel shows on the subject, as well as books such as the one on Seal Team 6 Sniper, (guy who fought in Mogadishu), and the most recent one about the Seal sniper with 150 kills (downloaded it to my Kindle); both of those books also make reference to what I wrote above, but they didn't really put any quantifiable data to go along with what they stated, IMO.
</div></div>

In American sniper he was shooting the M110, at times when action was heavy and at 800 yards and under. The increased firepower he liked, but there were reliability issues that they narrowed down to the dust cover oddly enough.

His bolt gun was a 300 win mag, and that was his favorite. So ballistics wise, its not a fair comparison between his semi auto and bolt gun.

I will say to the OP, a 260 could hang with a 338 out to six hundred but the 338 will smack steel with a LOT more power.

Most autos will lose 50 fps or more than the same load in a bolt. You also can't load too hot without risking damage to your gas system or op rod.

That being said, over Christmas my dad and I had no problem getting to 1000 with his SAS S and that was with a mild 2400 fps 175 smk load.

The farthest I took my semi .308 was out to 1k with decent results. I was able to keep all but one shot inside the 9 ring using a 10x scope and 20inch barrel.

Depending on the round you can get out farther than 1k out of a semi .308 receiver. The 6.5 GAP-10 gets the job done for less hassle at 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
the KAC cans on them blow shit.... and are inaccurate as shit till enough carbon builds up in the can to "lock" it up on the gun...

I've been taking my Armalite 300 SAUM out to 1150 on occasion with good results, the best has been sub 1/2 MOA at that range.
Looking forward to improving the load and sending it to 1500. Sending 210 VLDs at 2925. I'll be backing off that speed as I think it'll be too hot for any summer shooting.

I've taken my .243WSSM AR that far as well but on much less frequent occasions, just to see if I could. My barrel is almost shot, but when I get a new one...I'll have a better place to start and reach out there. Sending 105 Amax, BTHP Match and 105 VLDs around 3160.