Any Browning Hi-Power guys? Question about an MKIII Standard

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
I've long wanted a Browning Hi-Power and I'm in a buying mood. I found a nice looking 2004 mfg Hi-Power Standard with adjustable sight on GB. However, I'm not sure if the sights are originals or aftermarket.

The rear sight is milled deeper into the slide than others I've looked at, and it seems to be more forward on the slide as well. Other adjustable rear Hi-Power sights I've seen seem about even with the rear of the slide. I'm also not sure about the sight design; I know they used just a notch, and a notch with dots, but this is neither.

I did want an all original example, but maybe that's asking a lot for a 20 to 30 year old gun.

Appreciate any info on the sights or Hi-Powers in general.

Attachments

• pix801146453.jpg
    pix801146453.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 120
  • pix290337666.jpg
    pix290337666.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 119
The high power is a shitty pistol in stock format. It's an amazing design and imo should have been what the 1911 was. They just need alot of tweaks and little mods to bring out the potential.

Now a worked over HP or clone from the likes of Novak, Wilson or any custom smith's is one the the finest pistols you can own.

If buying new today and not wanting to drop $3k... this would be my first choice: https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35-pi-ops/

Reactions: 748rpilot
I would definitely do the mag disconnect, probably swap out sights. The ambi-safety is a must-have as I shoot lefty. However, my shooting is rudimentary at best, so as much awesome-factor as a Nighthawk or Novak Hi-Power would be, it'd be a lot of "all hat, no cattle".

I may slow it down and keep looking, not like it was a low-production product. Gonna go check out that Girsan P35 Match today too.

I would really advise you to just get a factory MKIII as they have ambi safeties standard and can be found cheap.

The Girsan has proprietary sight dovetails but other than that is a stellar gun.

If you decide to go the Girsan route, I have an almost NIB Stainless one I would sell you for 550 plus shipping costs.

I would take a clone over a non Belgian made browning anyway. The FEG clone was among the best made. Fit , finish and some of the prettiest bluing I have seen. It's like a 1911. It's a commodity gun as this point.

Yea and leupold scopes used to all say made In the USA until FTC hammered their dicks and it turns out they were importing almost everything from China and Asia and slapping the shit together and putting made in USA on them.

What it says and what is means are not the same thing. HP guys who know the platform understand this.

Reactions: LimaKilo
What kind of hi-power are you looking for? Collector, collector / shooter, or just a shooter? If it’s just a shooter to learn on, grab a newer Springfield, they are of good quality and inexpensive.

What kind of hi-power are you looking for? Collector, collector / shooter, or just a shooter? If it’s just a shooter to learn on, grab a newer Springfield, they are of good quality and inexpensive.
Little bit collector, little bit range-only pistol. It's not going to become a competition or carry gun. Every time I hold one it feels great in my hand. I thought they were cool as shit when I was a young'un, the local gunshop had a MkIII Practical that I used to stare at through the case.

I currently shoot a P320 X5 Legion, that I generally enjoy, but after a wrist and arm injury to my shooting hand, I think it's just a touch too large in terms of grip size length of pull. The Hi-Power being more slim, I think I'll be able to shoot it without beating my tendons to death.

In their default trim, I liked the trigger on the Springfield better than the Girsan and the Springfield has no mag disconnect. But the Girsan has the ambi safety from the factory.

I'm leaning heavily towards a Browning --not the fancy one that Sirhr has-- and if I like it may well pick up another or a clone to work over and play with.

Little bit collector, little bit range-only pistol. It's not going to become a competition or carry gun. Every time I hold one it feels great in my hand. I thought they were cool as shit when I was a young'un, the local gunshop had a MkIII Practical that I used to stare at through the case.

I currently shoot a P320 X5 Legion, that I generally enjoy, but after a wrist and arm injury to my shooting hand, I think it's just a touch too large in terms of grip size length of pull. The Hi-Power being more slim, I think I'll be able to shoot it without beating my tendons to death.

In their default trim, I liked the trigger on the Springfield better than the Girsan and the Springfield has no mag disconnect. But the Girsan has the ambi safety from the factory.

I'm leaning heavily towards a Browning --not the fancy one that Sirhr has-- and if I like it may well pick up another or a clone to work over and play with.
I would definitely look for a post WWII FN then. Reach out to Karl at kgbcustom.com he usually has a couple, plus he is a highly reputable smith. Simpson ltd has several but his prices seem high.

I have a 1976 Browning HiPower made made/assembled in Belgium. Somewhere around 1980-90 they started showing made in Belgium/assembled in Portugal. Same on Browning BAR rifles. Maybe rifles were assembled in Portugal starting in 1977. I had a Captain with tangent sights, but it was not the same quality as the 1976 with adjustable sights so I sold the Browning Captain.

I've long wanted a Browning Hi-Power and I'm in a buying mood. I found a nice looking 2004 mfg Hi-Power Standard with adjustable sight on GB. However, I'm not sure if the sights are originals or aftermarket.

The rear sight is milled deeper into the slide than others I've looked at, and it seems to be more forward on the slide as well. Other adjustable rear Hi-Power sights I've seen seem about even with the rear of the slide. I'm also not sure about the sight design; I know they used just a notch, and a notch with dots, but this is neither.

I did want an all original example, but maybe that's asking a lot for a 20 to 30 year old gun.

Appreciate any info on the sights or Hi-Powers in general.
disagree on the rear sight- it looks correct OEM for a later, post "beer can" adjustable.

That looks like a gorgeous example.
If you're going to get one and do a lot of mods, look for a less pristine version. This one I'd replace the trigger with a Garthwaite or similar which also removes the mag disconnect, add a no bite hammer and have fun shooting it

I ended up picking up a MkIII Silver Chrome with adjustable sights, '94 manufacture. Visually it appears in good shape, except for a minor scratch on the right side of the slide that I couldn't/didn't notice in the pictures. Haven't broken it down yet to inspect the internals, maybe this weekend if I don't have to work too much. Came with its original hard case, mag and manuals. I think I'll pickup some extra mags and a set of wood Hogue stocks and get to shooting.

I'll probably have to pick up a blued example too 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 20240821_205054.jpg
    20240821_205054.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240821_211726.jpg
    20240821_211726.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: TorF
Interesting. What year is your HP?
I'm not sure. I bought it new around year 2000.
MIM sear has been replaced by a forged one of WW2 origin and, for a mysterious reason, the trigger is better than on my gunsmith tuned 1911. And that 1911 trigger is good.
Mag safety is deleted.
New front sight.
100% reliable.
DSC_1594.JPG
DSC_1593.JPG

Based on the NN serial number, yours would be a 1999 gun.

Solely from dry-firing I think the trigger on the Hi-Power I just picked up is better than my P320 X5 Legion trigger. Which is a relief, because that's what I was hoping for! I'll definitely be removing that mag safety.

The original front sight on your Practical, was it a ramp style ?

I can't wait to shoot my after it gets a good scrubbing. The oil is all gummed up. I've got some new mags on the way and hopefully I can clean up the pistol this week!

Anyway, nice Practical!

Reactions: TorF
The high power is a shitty pistol in stock format. It's an amazing design and imo should have been what the 1911 was. They just need alot of tweaks and little mods to bring out the potential.

Now a worked over HP or clone from the likes of Novak, Wilson or any custom smith's is one the the finest pistols you can own.

If buying new today and not wanting to drop $3k... this would be my first choice: https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35-pi-ops/

Does girsan have a good rep for reliability? Sometimes I carry an Arcus but I broke the trigger retaining pin once.

The Hipower grip is my favorite of the many pistols I've handled. I had mine magnaported way back 30 something years ago and later sold it to a friend which I regretted. I used it to win local USPSA matches back then. That was before there was an Open division.

I've always wished for a custom long heavy dust cover, long fitted slide, and barrel, on a Hipower for comps, as well as a 2 pound trigger. Man that'd be a cool gun! Yeah just fantasizing.