• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing any ducks where you are???

smboudreaux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Addis, La
i'm a die hard duck hunter and i have to say this has been the worst season i can remember. we all thought the hard cold snap that rolled through a couple weeks ago would have pushed some birds down to south la but its still bust after bust. are you cats up north havin any better luck?

Re: any ducks where you are???

From everything I can see ducks are on the decline vs. geese. We have 90% geese here in South New Jersey and only a few mallards. We I was a kid growning up in the 60's and 70's there were mostly ducks and a few geese. Geese are mostly protected here vs. ducks and I think that has a lot to do with it. I hate to say this, but a prohibition on duck hunting for a few years would probably bring them back in much greater numbers.

Its been real hit or miss at our place in NE AR. We have had some good shoots, but most have been mediocre. I just got back from a pheasant trip in KS and we killed as many mallards as we did pheasants (50 pheasants/50 mallards). That was just a little more than half the pheasants that we usually kill, but we typically only shoot a handfull of ducks (we only carry a couple of boxes of steel-just in case). This year we only had 7 guys, typically we have 10 and we hunt for 3 days. It was nice that the ducks made up for the lower pheasant numbers.

I have seen lots of ducks, mostly mallards and a good number of pintails. Any playa lakes that have water are covered up with ducks, geese and some cranes. The weather has been very mild, there is a lot of corn and milo left on the ground after harvest so I don't see them moving any further south until they have to.

Last week I had to drive to Clarendon, and watched large flocks of ducks and some mixed groups of geese and cranes going into a harvested peanut field. This was an irrigated field and my guess is that there are tons of peanuts left on the ground.

Unless we get some really bad weather I do not see any of these birds leaving.

i had a good shoot early in the season out in eastern, co went out a couple weeks ago and there was nothing.

Coming home across I-80, western NE was absolutely covered, but i would have to agree with the way more geese then ducks. I would say from what i saw it was a easy 70-30 geese to ducks

friend of mine who guides in eagle lake said the ducks are decoying just fine, but geese are staying way on up there...you would need a flack cannon just to get at them...im headed out sunday/monday. ill post up a report

Once again, Texas has scattered reports of ducks here and there, but it is taking longer and longer to get them down here. I hunted in Port and Copano bay last week, and it was terrible. Only redheads, though we like eating them

The prairie has more water than we need and so the ducks are scattered. I have had one good hunt all season long. January is starting to be the best month for ducks, and November is just downright pitiful for us down here in south Texas.

Here in North Dakota we had alot of ducks this year, great hatch with the amount of snow we had and the potholes filled up this spring. The field hunting guys did awesome on mallards and the puddle hunters did ok on a large mixed bag but with so much water large concentrations were hard to find. Not sure where the birds are at on their migration but we should have sent lots down south for you guys we've been frozen up since mid november. Seemed like alot more pintails and gadwalls this year, also shot more spoonies than normal. Hope you guys start getting them soon, wish i could be there to enjoy it construction season ran long and hunting season short this year.

In the SW part of Wyoming things seemed to be about the same. I had a typcial season in comparisson to the others in this area. Perhaps the weather threw off your migration pattern this year.

These sob's keep swimming in my pool and they will be dinner..

ducks10001.jpg

ducks20001.jpg

ducks30001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you don't mind scouting and working hard, there are a lotta ducks to be had. </div></div>

i grew up hunting state land in the basin. its all hard work. thanks for the links

Northeast Arkansas is sucking ass on the duck hunting. I'm right in the thick of where there used to be limits killed every day in every field. The crane farm is about 2 miles from me, and bayou devou is empty also. I don't think the numbers are what the reports say.