• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Any thoughts on the new Leica Geovid 3000

ctso030

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2013
south texas
I have a pair of Leica geovid 2300. The glass is great but the range finder doesn’t work as well as it used to. Thinking about the new 3000 model. Has anyone used them and what do you think. Did they make improvements on the rangefinder.

Reactions: alsation
I have a pair of Leica geovid 2300. The glass is great but the range finder doesn’t work as well as it used to. Thinking about the new 3000 model. Has anyone used them and what do you think. Did they make improvements on the rangefinder.

Have you tried sending it back to Leica under warranty? A buddy just did that and his binos came back ranging as good as the did when new.

I have a new Leica HD-B 3000 in 10x42. From what I understand the main difference is the max range which was increased by 1km or so:

I've not had a chance to use mine beyond a few hundred yards yet but it does do very well ranging even when held by hand. I believe Precision Rifle Blog did a review of the earlier model and it was the best of the ranging binoculars (except for the $12,000 model) in terms of ranging capability.

The biggest surprise for me was the quality of the glass. I compared it side by side with a pair of new Swarovski SLC 10x42's HD (non ranging) in a variety of conditions, and to my eye the Leica was actually sharper in the center with better clarity. The Swarovski's might have had a slight advantage at the very edge of the image, but it was very slight. The Leica was better overall. Not bad considering the Swarovski's are considered by many to be the top of the food chain.

I've not tried the ballistic functions yet, but I played with the angled range calculator and temp/pressure sensors and they seem to work fine.

If it was me, and I didn't NEED it right now I'd play the wait game. There's probably a reason they are offering $500 instant rebates on the HD-B 3000's with SHOT around the corner. It's an exciting time for optics, we are finally starting to see some much overdue real integration with electronics, but many products are still lacking heavily in integration. Heck I'd spend the $900 on the Sig 3000 to get me by if I needed something. The next big RF binocular purchase I make is going to have to offer integration with other items. If it's an RF binocular that's offering a firing solution, it has to integrate with a kestrel and a GPS.

While I don't think much of Sig's quality these days, I will say their BDX system is exciting, tie your kestrel to your BDX 3000 rangefinding binoculars, get your firing solution, and it goes strait to the scope with holdover, no dialing, no mess, no fuss. It's long past the time where we should have items as SYSTEMS not individual components. Either scopes that offer rangefinding and ballistic solutions that talk to a kestrel for weather and phone/GPS for terrain, or rangefinding spotting scopes/binoculars that talk to the scope and kestrel/phone etc.

As I’m sure you know, the Leica 2800.com monocular rangefinder does currently tie into the Kestrel. Rumor has it Leica has Binos coming with the same feature. I’m hoping there is a 12x option. I think that could be the ideal spotting/glassing/ranging solution.
agree that the current $500 rebate could be a sign of new product la coming soon