• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anybody run the newer prism scopes?

Vortex lists eye relief at 2.7” on the 5x.

I guess you can rationalize it if ur gonna piggyback a red dot... but 2.7 is short. M

23’ is pretty narrow Fov for a fixed 5 power of ur already compromising on eye relief.

Dang it. I like fixed power scopes.

Vortex lists eye relief at 2.7” on the 5x.

I guess you can rationalize it if ur gonna piggyback a red dot... but 2.7 is short. M

23’ is pretty narrow Fov for a fixed 5 power of ur already compromising on eye relief.

Dang it. I like fixed power scopes.
That's because you are comparing the specs to a scope with a full size ocular. Of course it's going to have compromises, it's barely the size and weight of an AR scope mount, let alone the scope you are comparing it to.
Compare it to the <2" eye relief of similar magnification ACOGs.

Reactions: drewthebrave
^^^ This. Eye relief on trigicon acogs is listed at 1.4” to 2.4” (based on model) on all models except the TA45, with a listed eye relief of 3.6”. The TA45 is a 1.5 power optic, so not a fair comparison... 5.5x50 acog has field of view of 17.4’ at 100 yards. ACOGs are kind of the standard to which other fixed power optics are measured. But, given the size constraints, there is only so much that one can do- regardless of manufacturer. It’s a small optic- it is already a compromise- except for the TA55 (5:5x50). That thing is beastly, with a 2.2” eye relief...

Reactions: drewthebrave
My issued city rifle has a Vortex Spitfire. Not a fan at all. The reticle has way too many circles in it and the eyebox is tightish.

My wife has a PA Cyclops on her rifle and it is definitely easier to get behind and boasts a faster reticle. The illumination controls are far superior.

My TA31 ACOG ACSS kills them both, but its also 6x the price. I’d like to try out a TA44.

Reactions: BCP
My issued city rifle has a Vortex Spitfire. Not a fan at all. The reticle has way too many circles in it and the eyebox is tightish.

My wife has a PA Cyclops on her rifle and it is definitely easier to get behind and boasts a faster reticle. The illumination controls are far superior.

My TA31 ACOG ACSS kills them both, but its also 6x the price. I’d like to try out a TA44.

I started with the PA 1x20 ACSS Cyclops and it's not a bad prism for $250. I did feel that the horseshoe was too thick and obscured too much once you got much past 75yds. I wanted a non-battery option and decided to give a a TA44 a try. Initially I was set on the PA model with ACSS, but, after scouring the internet for 5 weeks I was finally able to find one of the 2MOA circle in a circle models in stock! It is awesome, well worth the search and price tag IMO. The eye relief is excellent and a bit more than advertised. This is the high or carry handle model which when placed in a Midwest Industries mini-ACOG mount is about lower 1/3 co-witness.

image0.jpeg

IMG_3371.JPG

That circle dot looks better that portrayed in stock pictures.

Ever do the carry handle mount? Sorta throwing the idea of an A2 mid-length upper with one.

That circle dot looks better that portrayed in stock pictures.

Ever do the carry handle mount? Sorta throwing the idea of an A2 mid-length upper with one.

I'm VERY pleased with the dot in circle, especially the thickness of the circle; ie it's not too thick!

Unfortunately no, it went straight into the MWI mount. I do run a fixed front sight, which is how I know it's ~lower 1/3. I think the carry handle would just be too high to be usable, YMMV.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Gottcha, I see folks running T2s off the handle and it looks super comfortable. Kinda like a retro Unity FAST mount, but with better iron sights.

Didn’t know if that would translate the to TA44.

Just picked up one of the Vortex Gen II Spitfires in 3x. I was hoping it would be a solid alternative to a 4x ACOG's I have to help save a bit of $$ for a couple stockpile rifles I've been putting together.

The Spitfire is very nice. Small, lightweight and has plenty of eye relief compared to an ACOG and the glass is very impressive for the price point. However, for me anyway, the downfall was the reticle. Since I have long passed 40, my eyes aren't what they used to be and I find the reticle to be too fine. To be fair, I generally like slightly heavier crosshairs in my LR Scopes so it is completely a personal preference. I think the reticle is well designed but for me anything short of a solid shooting position renders much of it useless. Another improvement I think Vortex could have made is to make the reticle daylight bright. For these two reasons, I am most likely going to sell it.

Reactions: hypno02
Gottcha, I see folks running T2s off the handle and it looks super comfortable. Kinda like a retro Unity FAST mount, but with better iron sights.

I may have spoken too soon. I run a carry handle on my house gun and after looking at that and the MWI mount; the charging handle mount may not actually be as high as I first thought. I'll snap a pic when I have time later but at most mounting on the carry handle should only be little bit higher than the MWI mount.

Reactions: PBWalsh

Snapped a pic for you with the rifles lined up as best I could get them. The TA44 mounted to the carry handle will be a touch higher than the MWI, but not nearly as high as I originally thought. I'd say it's doable.

IMG_3400.jpg

Reactions: Lite and PBWalsh
Thanks, I appreciate the comparison picture. Kinda leaning towards an A2/optic setup for a dedicated house gun. Just makes me a hair nervous to not have a the versatility of a flat top as the A2 is for life.

What is old is new again I suppose.

Reactions: bunsen27
Here are some low light pics of an HD Gen II Spitfire 3x vs my Kahles K16i set at 3x, apples to oranges I know but it was close at hand at the time. It will become evident that I am no expert at taking "through the scope" pics.... I had some difficulty taking the pics of the vortex because it was not mounted on a rifle and the wind chill was about 10*.

Kahles on the left, Vortex on the right. Trees and hillside are about 200 yards away.

Sunset +15 minutes.
K16i 15.jpg. VTX 15.jpg
Sunset +30 minutes
K16i 30.jpg VTX 30.jpg

Sunset +60 minutes
K16i 60.jpg VTX 60.jpg

My cell phone camera was very generous to both at the 60 minute mark. It was quite dark and i was barely able to see the location in the pics with the naked eye. Both were still usable in the low light but only because there was snow on the ground.

CM

Reactions: Baron23
Hey, how would you compare eye box on the Spitfire vs K16? That’s actually a great comparison for me since the K16i is also what I run. I was interested in the 5x for a light weight rifle but was really wondering how picky these are to get behind for eye box. 10oz, 23.3 FOV, and 2.7 eye relief are all very good. Eye relief and weight is better than ACOG. FOV is only slightly less than K16i at 5x.

Also, where was it manufactured? Are these China or Philippines? I couldn’t find it listed anywhere. Curious of this is closer to Strike Eagle or Viper glass.

Had the steiner and the vortex g2. I would have kept the g2, but it felt wrong to have a $300 chinese optic on a $5000 carbine.

Performance was great in every way. Good glass, eye relief, illum. Only thing to note really - the clicks are 1 moa.

Had the steiner and the vortex g2. I would have kept the g2, but it felt wrong to have a $300 chinese optic on a $5000 carbine.

Performance was great in every way. Good glass, eye relief, illum. Only thing to note really - the clicks are 1 moa.

Hey that’s good to know. So it is China and not Philippines manufactured? Any idea if glass is closer to Strike Eagle or Viper PST 1-6x quality? No issues with tight eye box getting behind it easily? The specs seem really good without having seen one in person. Kinda makes me wish they’d make a Razor version with Japanese glass. I really like the idea of a light weight fixed power and secondary red dot as an alternative to an LPVO.

Hey that’s good to know. So it is China and not Philippines manufactured? Any idea if glass is closer to Strike Eagle or Viper PST 1-6x quality? No issues with tight eye box getting behind it easily? The specs seem really good without having seen one in person. Kinda makes me wish they’d make a Razor version with Japanese glass. I really like the idea of a light weight fixed power and secondary red dot as an alternative to an LPVO.
I would dearly love a japanese one. Glass was great though - it was the erector that had me nervous but not too bad.