Suppressors Anyone ever try one of these "Fuel Filters" from LAFOAUTO?

Steelhead

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2003
Idaho
Has anyone ever ordered one of these "Fuel Filters" and did a Form 1 on it? If so, I'd like to know if they are a quality product. I like the design of them. Thanks!

Fuel Filter

1586201555081.png

What's to like it looks like you could throw your hat through those poorly designed baffles and they're probably way over sized to make up for the lack of concentricity. My guess is it will be loud and you'll get blow back out the rear of the unsealed tube.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I swore after 41 I was done with class 3 but the eform wait time measured in hours has me thinking about these fuel filters. I don't expect them to be a precision unit but I could outfit all my .22 LRs hushed up for cheap which would make it more fun shooting with children. I could have the truck gun hushed up and not be as nervous. Lots of good reasons to get one of these things.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have to admit. Despite my misgivings I’m still intrigued. I wonder how durable they are. Construction seems to be like a Warlock or GM-22. Would a 5.56 blow them up? I’m hoping someone will pipe up.

I have to admit. Despite my misgivings I’m still intrigued. I wonder how durable they are. Construction seems to be like a Warlock or GM-22. Would a 5.56 blow them up? I’m hoping someone will pipe up.

Not sure about this particular one but I've seen similar cheaper ones that ran 300bo fine and was hearing safe without using subs.

It was a while ago and I dont remember the gun specs. It was shorter than 16. Filter device was about 8". Didnt measure DB but I couldn't tell it was firing with ear pro on. With ears off it sounded like a pellet gun and you could hear the mechanics of the rifle as it cycled. Not having a lot of suppressor experience it was sort of spooky quiet.

It was a while ago and I dont remember the gun specs. It was shorter than 16. Filter device was about 8". Didnt measure DB but I couldn't tell it was firing with ear pro on. With ears off it sounded like a pellet gun and you could hear the mechanics of the rifle as it cycled. Not having a lot of suppressor experience it was sort of spooky quiet.
Okay, I’m a guy where words have meaning. I can’t hear so everything is hearing safe to me but my kids ears will ring for days off of the same shot.

It’s not hearing safe until someone puts a meter on it and says it’s below 130 dB;)

Okay, I’m a guy where words have meaning. I can’t hear so everything is hearing safe to me but my kids ears will ring for days off of the same shot.

It’s not hearing safe until someone puts a meter on it and says it’s below 130 dB;)
130?
I though 80dB was the safe threshold. My hearing is good and it wasn't even close to being noticeably loud. It didnt have a pop, it was more like a crack of a whip with the mechanical rack of the action. Anyhow that was a similar style and not this actual one so results may vary. good luck finding an actual number on these.

If you are going the build it yourself route, why not go with the ones Padom has tested extensively:

They have multiple calibers available and in that thread is everything you need to know about finishing them and doing the paperwork.

Reactions: kthomas and loveha
Well, a buddy tried one of these and got less than impressive results. Indicated the end cap to .0005" TIR and put a letter I (.272") drill bit through it. When screwing in on the test rifle (which has successfully hosted multiple "real" suppressors without a hitch), a significant lack of concentricity was noted, but a decision made to go ahead and test fire it anyhow. In a 16.5" barrel .22LR with subsonic ammo, it sounded about like the Bang Snap deals that pop when you throw them at something hard (see pic). Additionally, it suffered moderate endcap strikes. After two rounds, it was determined that the results were in, and were less than impressive. FWIW, this wasn't a surprise to anyone, as the holes in the "baffles" gauged out at .472".

bangsnaps2.jpg

Reactions: StealthOwl
I'd trust it for rimfire use, but that's about it.
This

Most of these toilets are aluminum, sometimes poorly cast aluminum. Rimfire safe, maybe some handgun. 5.56 would smoke it, literally. Short barrel, molten aluminum will fly from the end cap.

I've seen an AR action, closing on a round with no round detonated, and it metered out close to 120. Sub 130db with supersonic rounds, is an accomplishment in my eyes

130?
I though 80dB was the safe threshold. My hearing is good and it wasn't even close to being noticeably loud. It didnt have a pop, it was more like a crack of a whip with the mechanical rack of the action. Anyhow that was a similar style and not this actual one so results may vary. good luck finding an actual number on these.
80 Db is the generally accepted threshold for hearing safe for continuous loud noise (think rock concert, factory floor, machine shop, etc). 140 Db is the OSHA threshold for hearing safe impulse noises (gunshots, etc). The OSHA threshold for continuous noise is 115 Db.

Reactions: AMGtuned
80 Db is the generally accepted threshold for hearing safe for continuous loud noise (think rock concert, factory floor, machine shop, etc). 140 Db is the OSHA threshold for hearing safe impulse noises (gunshots, etc). The OSHA threshold for continuous noise is 115 Db.
SilencerStudent has a 300blk sub can, that is metering in the teens.....just saying 🤷‍♂️ getting that low is pretty awesome