Anyone running 6mm BR in a Tikka T3 action?

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
Just wondering how well chambering and extraction are with the T3 action. What magazines work? I've heard that the Magpul AICS PMAGS seem to work well.

Also, am I crazy to think about 6mm BR for PRS? My rationale is that it has pretty good barrel life (reported 2500ish+), very low recoil, uses Varget (which I have a ton of) and appears to only really give up a bit of wind drift performance to 6.5 cartridges at the mid- to long-ranges. I have no interest in fire forming so the BR improved cases don't appeal to me and I'm really trying to ditch recoil (coming from .308 Win) to get back on target faster. Figured I might as well go all the way to a 6mm to get the minimal recoil with good performance and acceptable barrel life.

I've got a 6mm Dasher on a Tikka. Negative on the PMAGS, they need to have the feed lips clearanced to fit into the bottom of the action inlet and even with that done would not feed BR case. AICS with Patriot or PVA BR mag kits both work. Nil issues with extraction. The 6mm BR will feed a little nicer than the dasher due to the 30 degree shoulder.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Man-at-a-Mile-1488846871422335/videos/?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/1488846871...846871422335/1686029985037355/?type=3&theater

I'd also like to hear a little more on the 6MMBR for PRS style events.. I realize the Dasher is popular right now, is the BR more or less work to load for than the Dasher?

My understanding is that BR is the parent case, whereas Dasher, XC etc. require some manner of brass alteration to work. I just don't want the headache and where I am (Canada) the BR brass is marginally more expensive than .308 Win (Lapua in both cases.) Massive reduction in recoil, better performance than .308 Win and I can use my stockpile of Varget.

Versus other 6mm options the BR has the best barrel life (I like that, a LOT) and gives up about 150-180 FPS in speed (2900ish to 3050-3080.) I can live with the drop in performance vs the other barrel burning 6mm options (for about 50-100% more barrel life) and the 6.5 options at mid-longer distances (700-1000+ yards) and the increased wind drift.

My hit rate at the longer ranges is likely to be poor regardless of the cartridge since I can't get the really long range practice in. But I can work hard on the 0-8/900 game and collect as many points there as I can. A lower recoil would help me spot hits and misses and get the next shot off.

To me, it seems the best balance for my particular situation.

ETA: Also, 6mm BR just looks insanely badass when you look at the cartridge. To me anyway.

Have you considered Norma 6 Dasher brass, or just buying pre-formed Lapua Dasher brass from someone like DJ's brass service?

I think the BR would be good for PRS inside 800 yards, but the added velocity of the Dasher is nice to have when you get 900+. Not just wind drift, but also spotting your own impacts or misses gets hard when the energy on target is low and the bullet is small.

One other thing to think about... you don't have to run the Dasher at full power loads all the time. I run BR velocity loads in my Dasher for practice and have even won a 600 yard club match with them. Low recoil and stretch the barrel life, super accurate.

Thanks Sheldon, that's great advice. Regrettably it seems that the Norma 6 Dasher brass is exclusive to one retailer that does not ship internationally. Being up in Canada everything is a headache, so I'm also limited with what I can readily source locally too.

I was not aware of any brass ready to load for the Dasher, thanks for the info. I was set on a 6.5x47L for matches because I was sick and tired of excessive brass prep on my other calibers. I hardly have time to shoot, nevermind fireforming..

I would think a 6mm that blew the shoulders back on BR brass and retained the long neck instead of forward like a Dasher would be better. Something like a 6brai but with a 30-35 degree shoulder.

There's a bunch of people on Accurate shooter forum who are really hopping on the 6BRAI bandwagon. Apparently getting very close to Dasher speeds and even better accuracy. This is the 40 degree shoulder version formed in the traditional Ackley fire form fashion week so no false shoulder or bullet jam needed.

There's a bunch of people on Accurate shooter forum who are really hopping on the 6BRAI bandwagon. Apparently getting very close to Dasher speeds and even better accuracy. This is the 40 degree shoulder version formed in the traditional Ackley fire form fashion week so no false shoulder or bullet jam needed.

That is an awesome round, thanks! I couldnt tell on the AS forum if there was any standardized reamers or dies, would you know offhand?

I think the best option people were talking about was a Harrels Dasher die with 0.080 ground off the bottom. I think the D3? If you call Harrels they will know and can modify the die for you, they've done several. For reamers people are ordering custom, there was a thread discussing dimensions.