• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Anyone see the new borescope company at SHOT?

johnsopa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2007
Pennsylvania
Did anyone happen to see the booth that had a new borescope on display? I only passed by it once and didn't get a chance to return for an in-depth view. Seems that they were offering them at a good bit lower cost than the Hawkeyes.

I can't find the name of the company but IIRC they were in the main upstairs hall somewhere in the 14xxx - 15xxx aisle.

Re: Anyone see the new borescope company at SHOT?

Mark, when you mean 45 degree angle, are you talking about the eyepiece or the end that is in the bore?

Did you happen to get a look through it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....everybody wants to be a doctor now.....</div></div>

Playing doctor meant something different when I was growing up... but there are still some exams I would love to do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....everybody wants to be a doctor now.....</div></div>

Playing doctor meant something different when I was growing up... but there are still some exams I would love to do
</div></div>
Ya, its easy to see now why we've all got such big guns all these years later. Anyway, whats the story with these new borescopes, do they come anywhere close to the Hawkeye.

Hey All, long time on the sidelines, thought I might as well jump in and maybe I can add something helpful. I stumbled accross a booth while at the Shot Show and they had borescopes and were from Florida, it was MDS Inc. . . www.mdsincorporated.com. Maybe this is who you were loking for. I got a camera and computer connection that goes with my Hawkeye for about 1/4 what Gradient wanted for their new camera setup.

I am thinking the same thing... I do not buy stuff from China unless it is the only option. Does anyone know if it or its components are made in China?

Mostly made in the US. A chip comes from China though, per the gentleman who answered the questions at the above mentioned website. There is also a rigid scope which would be better for bore examination - probably - for about $1195 at 24 inches long.
The flexible fiberoptic scopes are $350 and less and one with a video screen in the handpiece -that chip is from China I guess but the video device otherwise is made in the US - is $395.
They sound pretty interesting actually.

for years i have owned and operated a locksmith borescope.....it will go in a .556 bore with ease....all the way up to the larger bore stuff. the limiting factor is the length @ 11"....to get into the throat i most usually have to remove the optics, or take the action out of the stock.

this unit was made in the the US most likely ......but it would not ruffle my feathers if it was hobbled together in CHINA......it works and one is not in the glass for any length of time to begin with....in borescopes , its all about the light source and field of view.

the hawkeye allows the tunnel view where as the others may only give the microscope perspective....it matters little if you don't know what you are looking at anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvcatfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe you are referring to MDS. I have one of their scopes. Wanna buy theirs? I think I am going to purchase a Hawkeye. </div></div>
Why? is it a piece of shit or what.

I would not say POS. I own a rigid scope from MDS. I have also perused the Hawkeye. I personally feel the Hawkeye to be a better value. I'm not into slamming manufacturer's on the internet. I am not unhappy with the MDS; I simply prefer the Hawkeye. Make sure to look at a scope through all bore sizes you intend to view PRIOR to purchase. Also consider the pros and cons of a mirror tube. It can take away from the image, it can also help as it rotates 360. Pay attention to focal length and place value in user adjustable focusing. Oh yea, listen to the ripper.
YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly made in the US. A chip comes from China though, per the gentleman who answered the questions at the above mentioned website. There is also a rigid scope which would be better for bore examination - probably - for about $1195 at 24 inches long.
The flexible fiberoptic scopes are $350 and less and one with a video screen in the handpiece -that chip is from China I guess but the video device otherwise is made in the US - is $395.
They sound pretty interesting actually. </div></div>

If I'm reading it right, their website says the $395 ones have a 10mm shaft, haha, diameter so it would only work in bigger calibers.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonesturf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly made in the US. A chip comes from China though, per the gentleman who answered the questions at the above mentioned website. There is also a rigid scope which would be better for bore examination - probably - for about $1195 at 24 inches long.
They sound pretty interesting actually. </div></div>

If I'm reading it right, their website says the $395 ones have a 10mm shaft, haha, diameter so it would only work in bigger calibers.
frown.gif
</div></div>
I saw it at the S.S and they do make a smaller tube.I have the Hawkeye with the angle eye piece and wouldn't trade it but at half the price it didn't look bad to me, MDS also makes some cool camera attachments/computer USB interface products that will fit the Hawkeye and they cost ALOT less than Hawkeye I think I may end up getting that.

I have a brand new MDS scope I bought from SHOT last year.I am changing to their new scope as my current one at 7mm will not fit in my 243.
It is a fine scope and priced far less than the Hawkeye.
This one is about 28" long.