• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anyone try to uniform factory ammo?

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
I always try to uniform the tips on factory ammo. I have no idea if this helps accuracy... anyone else do it? Most of the time I use a knife point to make open the points equally and sometimes I file down the tips to make them symetrical.

Maybe my logic is off, but it seems that could make the projectile less symmetrical. What the eye can't see, the micrometer will. Being slightly off balance, or slightly off symmetry can cause all sorts of flight problems at longer ranges. It would seem some sort of cartridge lathe, or locking block with a honing tool would be more precise. Maybe a machinist can recommend something.

WW,

Well, I took 80 rounds of Lapua 300 WM apart, neck turned them, made the powder charges the same, sorted the cases with primer by weight, checked the OGL and weights of the bullets, and reassembled. Didn't bother to meplat trim or point, since the bullets were solid points. As far as working on the bullets, pull the bullets and get the right tools to work on them, otherwise you aren't helping things. It's consistency that counts.

HTH,
DocB