• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Applied Ballistic custom curves

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
I am looking at weather meters and have gotten sticker shock from the Kestrels and am trying to find a cheaper work around. I believe I have found one Tempest “WEATHERmeter” for precision shooting along with the geoballistics app, not an elegant solution but I will happily take the discount.

What throws me though is the nicer Kestrels with applied ballistics can do custom curves, but I assume geoballistics does not.

But I can buy the applied ballistics app for $30. So can I use that app with the weathermeter? Or can I manually type the information from the meter in to it and use the custom curves?

What throws me though is the nicer Kestrels with applied ballistics can do custom curves, but I assume geoballistics does not.
Geoballistics' bullet library doesn't have a lot of bullets with custom drag models. The ones that do will have (CD). Example would be "Barnes LRX BT (CD) .308 175gr". So if you're using a bullet without (CD) in Geoballistics, until it's added, you're SOL.

If you're talking about the this product https://shop.tempest.earth/collections/meters/products/weathermeter-precision-shooting

Then yes, it should be able to pair with AB Mobile app (page 20 of AB Mobile User Manual).

Geoballistics' bullet library doesn't have a lot of bullets with custom drag models. The ones that do will have (CD). Example would be "Barnes LRX BT (CD) .308 175gr". So if you're using a bullet without (CD) in Geoballistics, until it's added, you're SOL.

If you're talking about the this product https://shop.tempest.earth/collections/meters/products/weathermeter-precision-shooting

Then yes, it should be able to pair with AB Mobile app (page 20 of AB Mobile User Manual).
Awesome, thanks!

So if the $100 (plus $30 software) can do everything the Kestral does for $750 what is the point of the Kestral? Or is their some functionality that I am missing?

(Yes I know it would be two devices instead of one, but is convenience all you get for the extra $620?)

Awesome, thanks!

So if the $100 (plus $30 software) can do everything the Kestral does for $750 what is the point of the Kestral? Or is their some functionality that I am missing?

(Yes I know it would be two devices instead of one, but is convenience all you get for the extra $620?)
You are paying for the convenience of having continuously updating data.
Here in Canada the Kestrel 5700x Elite is $1250 before taxes and shipping. That is $1450 ($1050USD)or so at my door.
For my purposes it’s not really worth it although I really am considering it.
With my luck as soon as I buy it they will announce a newer model.

• Wow
Reactions: kthomas
Here in Canada the Kestrel 5700x Elite is $1250 before taxes and shipping. That is $1450 ($1050USD)or so at my door.
Wow.

Awesome, thanks!

The common complaint of the Weatherflow is temp readings are slow. You'll end up with readings that are wildly different if there are extreme differences in localized temps like hot car to outside unless you allow the Weatherflow to acclimate and that could take a while due to the type of shielded sensor they use. With a Kestrel, you just swing it around for a few seconds.

Potential firmware or software related BT connectivity issues.

That's about the only issue I'm aware of.

In the settings of the app there are options you can turn on for different hardware links.

It sounds like elitism but in the end you will end up right back at the Kestrel because it is such a great piece of kit.

The only other real option with custom curves/Doppler verified data is Hornady 4DOF, which works very well but the library isn’t as large. The Hornady will save you some money over the AB.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks!

The biggest disadvantage of any phone based app is the phone itself. It will have problems or possibly not work at all in extreme heat or cold, the Kestrel will still work.

The advantage of the phone is obviously the larger view of info and much easier data entry.

Reactions: Holliday
Kestrel with AB is an easy button. The purchase stings but they are robust military grade devices that are made to be used outside, in the sun, unlike phones.
This is really what it comes down to. Most people who go the cheap route in anything regret it and end up going with the practical route. In the end you’ll save money by just getting the kestrel. Just be patient, they come up in the PX all the time. The prices may be the same as retail but you won’t pay taxes.

I feel for you Canadians. Judas Priest, you guys pay through the nose with the exchange rate.

Reactions: Thump_rrr