• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Appropriate scope for a Remington 700P

It doesn't matter what scope was on that rifle when they sold it 30 years ago or what agency put what on it. You need to pick a good scope and put it on. I wouldn't put anything on that was on it 30 years ago.

You have a base and rings yet or looking for everything?

Reactions: simonp
I asked my agency’s swat armorer and was told when they first received the 700P sws from Remington it came with a fixed 10x power Leupold scope. Accessories also included Harris bipod with stud mount and a uncle mikes sling

I asked my agency’s swat armorer and was told when they first received the 700P sws from Remington it came with a fixed 10x power Leupold scope. Accessories also included Harris bipod with stud mount and a uncle mikes sling

There are tons of better optics available now than a fixed 10X Leupold, especially under the $2k budget. I'd recommend a Vortex Razor Gen 2 in that price range it will be tough to beat. Skip the Harris and stud mount. Pick up a pic rail or Arca rail for the stock to mount the bipod. Atlas, Accu-Tac and MDT make superb bipods. Tab Gear and Blue Force gear make fantastic slings. I'm sure others will chime in with other good recommendations.

There are tons of better optics available now than a fixed 10X Leupold, especially under the $2k budget. I'd recommend a Vortex Razor Gen 2 in that price range it will be tough to beat. Skip the Harris and stud mount. Pick up a pic rail or Arca rail for the stock to mount the bipod. Atlas, Accu-Tac and MDT make superb bipods. Tab Gear and Blue Force gear make fantastic slings. I'm sure others will chime in with other good recommendations.

I agree with your recommendations except for the scope. Not that the Vortex Razor Gen II isn't a great optic, but it has two big strikes against it.

1) It's well ,over $2K new
2) It weighs 48oz. Meaning it's better suited to a crew served weapon than an man-portable one.

My recommendation is this one. Japanese Glass, same power range as the Razor, and 13 oz lighter and well under $2K

Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56mm APRS1 FFP IR MIL

Also available in an MOA version for the MIL challenged.

I'm still running two fixed 10x Leupolds (M3 dials). I'm sure they were great in the day, but they absolutely stink by today's standards. The one that was on the LEO trade-in FN SPR that I bought you actually have to put your face by to make sure that it clicks when you adjust the dial. Otherwise it is basically just about like turning the parallax knob (albeit much stiffer). It is at least repeatable if you can guarantee that the adjustment was made. I can't bitch too much about it though, I've killed I think 9 bucks with it in the 2010-2020 period and a couple of those were dandies.

The Leupolds that were so common on the old 700Ps were all mildot reticles and MOA adjustments. It took a long time before Leupold realized that everyone had caught up and passed them in the tactical market, and the M5 dials came out. While much more "period correct", I would consider their use to be more of a pain in the ass now...especially with the accuracy and repeatability of most of those M1 turrets. MidwayUSA is still trying to basically clearance sale out their old stock.

If determined on the retro look, I'd suggest a modern Mark 4HD. It'll get you close enough and be a huge step up in quality.

Reactions: simonp
If you are looking for a social work rifle, the 2.5-15x Credo is an excellent option.
If you want to go with FFP, Maven has a 2.5-15 FFP that seems to have a well designed reticle.
The Cronus is a good scope, I have one. It isn't the best choice for social work, though it is far from the worst. (field of view is the primary concern here).
If this is strictly a range gun, the Cronus is a very solid choice.
There are also other options like Delta Stryker and Tract Toric.
The NF 2.5-20 is a pretty awesome scope.
The Burris XTR 3 is pretty decent and won't hold you back.
I think the 3-18x or so scopes are the sweet spot for the .308. However, it all depends on application.
If you want to stay with the law enforcement theme, the new MK4 HD in 4.5-18 would be an excellent choice.

I agree with your recommendations except for the scope. Not that the Vortex Razor Gen II isn't a great optic, but it has two big strikes against it.

1) It's well ,over $2K new
2) It weighs 48oz. Meaning it's better suited to a crew served weapon than an man-portable one.

My recommendation is this one. Japanese Glass, same power range as the Razor, and 13 oz lighter and well under $2K

Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56mm APRS1 FFP IR MIL

Also available in an MOA version for the MIL challenged.

The OP said he wasn't going to compete or hunt with it, so that's why I suggested the Razor Gen 2. Didn't sound like weight was a concern for him. I agree, it is heavy but it's not impossible to hump it around. I've got 2. It can be found on the used market here in the px for well under $2k. I'd rather buy a used Razor over any new Athlon.

Reactions: moosemeat