• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AR-10 vs a FN-Fal

No dude, the most accurate 762 is the M1A.
I like M14s but that's a real stretch.

I've never seen, heard of, nor read of a precision FAL.

The USAMU set the long range interservice rifle team 1000-yard record at Quantico in 2012 using AR-10s, besting all previous M1, M14, and M16 scores.

interserv002fix.jpg

I like M14s but that's a real stretch.

I've never seen, heard of, nor read of a precision FAL.

The USAMU set the long range interservice rifle team 1000-yard record at Quantico in 2012 using AR-10s, besting all previous M1, M14, and M16 scores.

interserv002fix.jpg
I was obviously kidding.
FAL, G3, M1A … none of these really qualify as “precision” platforms … even if you dump a lot of coin in them

Plenty of modern gassers out there to scratch that itch

Yes... by about 5 fold.
I wouldn't go that far, dollar for dollar. IIRC FN-FAL's are 3 to 4 MOA rifles on average, probably quite similarly are G3 types (PTR91).

Say just as an example $1,500 today. For what could be bought of each platform (FN-FAL/G3 type/AR10) at the $1,500 price. More likely 2 ish fold better towards the AR.

However that's where the AR can be improved, and the others just can't.

Getting up into more expensive AR10 types? Absolutely towards 3plus fold betterment out of the box likely.

However its all kind of like comparing apples with oranges.

-IMO.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I wouldn't go that far, dollar for dollar. IIRC FN-FAL's are 3 to 4 MOA rifles on average, probably quite similarly are G3 types (PTR91).

Say just as an example $1,500 today. For what could be bought of each platform (FN-FAL/G3 type/AR10) at the $1,500 price. More likely 2 ish fold better towards the AR.

However that's where the AR can be improved, and the others just can't.

Getting up into more expensive AR10 types? Absolutely towards 3plus fold betterment out of the box likely.

However its all kind of like comparing apples with oranges.

-IMO.

Five fold is probably conservative. The FAL is probably a five MOA rifle on its very best day. Tilting bolts are not conducive to accuracy.

Reactions: Iron Worker
DSarms submitted a tuned SA58 for the semi auto sniper rifle which became 110.
Was a 2 Moa rifle.

They look the best but it’s a battle rifle at heart

Reactions: BCP
Do you even Rhodesia bruh?

IMG_6741.jpeg

…seriously though, yeah the FAL is the clear winner for actual proven use in ‘wartime’ situations, and hands down the FAL > AR10 for cool points/style, but I’ll bet even my lightweight AR10 with a cheap-ass Faxon 16” pencil barrel that’s 1.5 MOA on a good day, with good ammo, is more accurate.

View attachment 8478311

…seriously though, yeah the FAL is the clear winner for actual proven use in ‘wartime’ situations, and hands down the FAL > AR10 for cool points/style, but I’ll bet even my lightweight AR10 with a cheap-ass Faxon 16” pencil barrel that’s 1.5 MOA on a good day, with good ammo, is more accurate.

They can keep the shorts can't imagine wearing those things into combat.

I wonder what Africa would look like if the West hadn't abandoned those two countries down there. Probably a lot more industrious and organized.

Reactions: mewillis

View attachment 8478311

Those Rhodesian boys were tough mudders, some will remember the pre internet era with Soldier of Fortune and Shotgun news where these pics were common place and the stories were "interesting" to say the least............

Reactions: BCP and 91Eunozs
Those Rhodesian boys were tough mudders, some will remember the pre internet era with Soldier of Fortune and Shotgun news where these pics were common place and the stories were "interesting" to say the least............

I remember those things at gun shows when I was a kid. From what I understand before Rhodesia collapsed they were recruiting anybody to go fight the commies.