• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ar 15 one piece scope mount on a budget?

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Does anyone know of a good one piece mount that is maybe $100 or less? Putting a pst 5-25 on my gas gun and need a good mount. Tried searching on here but don’t come up with much other than more expensive ones

Mounts are much more important than what most give credit towards. Based on the scope you’re putting on the rifle I assume precision is your goal. This is my opinion, but American defense is as low as I would go for that application. There are many mounts that are good and aren’t terribly expensive, but in my experience I haven’t had the best of luck with budget mounts. Your mileage may vary.

I have used the brownells cantilever 30mm mount and it has been solid.

The Badger shit costs ~$75-$100 more, maybe less if you qualify for vet/mil discounts. Very solid and my go-to choice for rings and 1 piece. All sorts of options.

There are various quality mounts for sale in the PX too, just look around.

I have a samson manufacturing one piece quick detach mount for 30mm scopes I would give you a good deal on if you're interested.

^^^^This-- My Burris PEPR has been on my AR for 4 years and hasn't budged. It's been riding in my vehicle, bouncing around, hunting coyotes and had some rough use in the desert. Still rock solid. Just my .02

Reactions: Eyepatch
I was looking at the pepr just didn’t know if they were any good. Will also look in to the Warne mounts. Thanks for the replies!

I run many of the Aero lightweights, but have used the Burris PEPR and Larue mounts as well. I like the Aero's for their weight and value, and would likely run all Larue if they were equally priced and weighed the same. Granted, I'm not running that large of an optic on any my gas guns either though, and they all are pretty low on the recoil or potential abuse scale.

I have a Seekins Precision MXM mount on one of my AR's and it's really a nice mount, a bit more than you want to spend but rings and mounts are really not something you want to cheap out on.

Reactions: simonp
American Defense makes decent mounts that are just above $100. If you are looking for 30MM I am going to put a couple up for sale in the accessories section.

Just ordered a Larue C.A.N. mount for my 15-22. Great bang for the buck.

I've only got about 200 rounds on the newish Larue C.A.N. LT204 mount. So far it's held solid on a 16" 6.8SPC with a SWFA 3-9.
It's $99.00 + rings = $139.00 total.
If you do get Larue's, make sure you torque the lower ring screws to the spine first, then the top.

What is the meaning behind tightening the bottom screws first? Something to do with vertically split rings?

I used a Seekins MXM on my precision upper, with the same scope, and am quite happy with it and have had no issues with it. More than the $100.00's, but, never cheap-out on the mount. Mac(y)

What is the meaning behind tightening the bottom screws first? Something to do with vertically split rings?

Yeah, bottom of the split torques to the mount at the bottom so better to torque there so you have less risk of hurting the tube.

I definitely don’t want junk or something that won’t work, I Was just curious if there was something that worked well but not quite as pretty I guess. I have cheaper out on rings before and it didn’t work out.

The Larue's have a spine between the rings at bottom. If you try to evenly apply torque top & bottom then you wind up with the torque evenly applied to the tube. Problem is the rings can then slide fore/aft on the spine. I learned this the hard way with my first LT104 mount.
I fully torque the bottom first, that locks the rings to the spine. Then the top clamps the tube. Due that & they'll stay put. Same applies to all the Larue vertically split ring mounts (LT 104 etc).

They aren't scaler works, but good mounts if installed correctly.

Reactions: Kddub
OP if your on a serious budget & don't need the quick release feature. I wouldn't hesitate going with the SWFA for $60 bucks. Pretty stout & not bad looking either.
I have one sitting here that will be going on a .224 in the next week or 2.

1595370968935.png

thanks. this is a helpful post. using a "riser" and seekins on my new AR. if problems,will go with something suggested here.

Is the Burris PEPR still made in China? I thought it was at one time. That would instantly exclude it from the list for me if so.

A couple of people have brought up Aero Precision as a quality, inexpensive mount and I second or third it. I have used their once piece mounts on several guns. If you plan on taking it off and on, then look elsewhere, but for a solid once piece mount that won't break the bank it is good to go.

Another vote for the Warne XSKEL. I've tried the Aeros as well, and while I didn't have any issues with them, the steel threads and more solid feel of the Warnes gave me more confidence.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Does anyone know of a good one piece mount that is maybe $100 or less? Putting a pst 5-25 on my gas gun and need a good mount. Tried searching on here but don’t come up with much other than more expensive ones
Mounts are much more important than what most give credit towards. Based on the scope you’re putting on the rifle I assume precision is your goal. This is my opinion, but American defense is as low as I would go for that application. There are many mounts that are good and aren’t terribly expensive, but in my experience I haven’t had the best of luck with budget mounts. Your mileage may vary.
I second DTF370's suggestion of ADM (American Defense Manufacturing), although I'm not sure what he means by "...but American Defense is as low as I would go for that application", which makes it sound like ADM is is a lower tier manufacturer. In my experience, that isn't the case. While I'd prefer they be machined from 7075 T6 instead of the 6061 T6 they're made of, I'm sure that would be overkill for a civi like me.

I've mounted (Trijicon) MRO & MRO Patrols' on using ADM mounts, and had the PMII 1.1-4X20 LT in the photo in an ADM Scout before I mounted it in the 20 MOA Recon (I needed the 20 MOA to compensate for the PMII's factory reticle offset). All my ADM mounts have had excellent return-to-zero after repeated dismounting and remounting. If I didn't have full confidence in ADM Mounts I wouldn't have mounted a pricey optic like my PMII 1.1-4X20 LT in one.

5.56 LWRC M6IC Enhanced wearing a PMII 1.1-4X20 LT CQB in a 20 MOA ADM Recon 30:

Keith

Last edited:
I second DTF370's suggestion of ADM (American Defense Manufacturing), although I'm not sure what he means by "...but American Defense is as low as I would go for that application", which makes it sound like ADM is is a lower tier manufacturer. In my experience, that isn't the case. While I'd prefer they be machined from 7075 T6 instead of the 6061 T6 they're made of, I'm sure that would be overkill for a civi like me.

I've mounted (Trijicon) MRO & MRO Patrols' on using ADM mounts, and had the PMII 1.1-4X20 LT in the photo in an ADM Scout before I mounted it in the 20 MOA Recon (I needed the 20 MOA to compensate for the PMII's factory reticle offset). All my ADM mounts have had excellent return-to-zero after repeated dismounting and remounting. If I didn't have full confidence in ADM Mounts I wouldn't have mounted a pricey optic like my PMII 1.1-4X20 LT in one.

5.56 LWRC M6IC Enhanced wearing a PMII 1.1-4X20 LT CQB in a 20 MOA ADM Recon 30:

Keith

Hey Keith just to clarify, I don’t by any means think ADM is of lower quality. They’re great and I’ve relied on them professionally. I think for a gas gun, ADM is the best balance of reliability and affordability.

My intent was more to say I have tried lower quality mounts but ultimately they usually let me down in small ways (repeatability, zero shift, etc). For a handful of cheaper mounts over the years I could have bought more good quality mounts and wouldn’t have to deal with the frustration and ammo loss. I will say that if funds weren’t a factor a mount such as Spuhr would be my go to over ADM.

Hey Keith just to clarify, I don’t by any means think ADM is of lower quality. They’re great and I’ve relied on them professionally. I think for a gas gun, ADM is the best balance of reliability and affordability.

My intent was more to say I have tried lower quality mounts but ultimately they usually let me down in small ways (repeatability, zero shift, etc). For a handful of cheaper mounts over the years I could have bought more good quality mounts and wouldn’t have to deal with the frustration and ammo loss. I will say that if funds weren’t a factor a mount such as Spuhr would be my go to over ADM.
Roger that, DTF370. No harm, no foul. SPUHR makes great, well-designed mounts. Unfortunately, the turret and/or control locations on a lot of scopes combined with the bulky SPUHR designs, wide mount-to-scope interface, and/or lack of a true cantilever option disallow proper eye relief without bridging the receiver-to-rail junction on non-monolithic rail setups frequently-used on AR-pattern guns.

DISCLAIMER: My use of the word "bulky" to describe SPUHR mounts isn't intended a "dig", but let's face it - they are. They're also very well-machined, heavy-duty mounts and are machined from 7075-T6 - all of which are great features. Some might say SPUHR mounts look"buff".

Keith

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DTF370
The scope mount is crucial, so it is usually better to buy once, cry once...
Badger Ordnance gets my vote, they haven't ever left ring marks on my optic and are crazy solid!
Don't be afraid to buy used either, they last a lifetime.
Some other less expensive rings will work, but many times lapping is necessary, as they don't hold exceptionally well and leave marks, which makes it hard to resell your optic.
Good luck

Look at the Burris Signature mount. The polymer inserts protect the scope, eliminate the need for lapping, etc.

I've been using Vortex mounts for a few years. I also have a Keystone Accuracy. Vortex is around $100. The SWFA mount looks intriguing.

The Larue's have a spine between the rings at bottom. If you try to evenly apply torque top & bottom then you wind up with the torque evenly applied to the tube. Problem is the rings can then slide fore/aft on the spine. I learned this the hard way with my first LT104 mount.
I fully torque the bottom first, that locks the rings to the spine. Then the top clamps the tube. Due that & they'll stay put. Same applies to all the Larue vertically split ring mounts (LT 104 etc).

They aren't scaler works, but good mounts if installed correctly.

Sorry, No offense but bullshit about the scalarworks being superior..
Finger tighten non lever mounts are bullshit on anything your life depends on, test it on a machine gun and see how well this 400 dollar mount holds. Oh wait you need to buy a click nudge tool to get it tight enough.