• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

AR10 .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Tpb10505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
I'm thinking of doing a long range AR build on a Mega MaTen mono upper/lower (most likely to 600, rarely 1000). I have come down to a couple cartridges.... a .243 or something in 6.5... the Creedmoor seems like the best choice in 6.5 for longer 6.5 pills for the AR platform? So, I'm looking for opinions on the .243, or something in 6.5 CM with 130s or 140s. Thanks for any info! (Hunting will be few and far between, and I have used a .243 Savage 110 to take 5 or 6 deer, so I'm satisfied with it for such if the occasion arises)

Re: AR10 .243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Out of those two the 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go in an AR platform due to case length. It'll keep the bullet up out of the powder column, unlike the .243 where you'll lose case capacity due to the bullet having to be set too deep in the case to fit mag length with the heavier, higher BC bullets.

I already handload so that's not much of a problem. What kind of velocities would be expected in a 22-24" 6mm CM with 105s? and how would those ballistics relate to a 6.5 CM? Thanks for the suggestion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are cool with a 24 inch ar Call GAP and have them build you a 6mm creedmoor. You will need to handload.</div></div>

That's not true, I know of at least one vendor on here that reloads 6mm creedmoor if not more. What about the .243 if you are using 75 grain bullets or less, will the oal be ok? I would like to build a nice varmint rifle and I think this would a great platform to build off of.

I would give them a call. I think they are taking them out to 1 k with 7 mils. This is what they said. Read up on it. He has built a few of them already, he has dies for it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2814921

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3203778&page=1

A10XRIFLE
GAP Gun Plumber

Loc: N Kansas City, MO
Im starting a a Match Rifle Idea based off our GAP-10 Platform with the new Rifle length system. 6mm Creedmoor!!!. .243 is to long to work givin the length of the mag, the Creedmore case is perfect and brass is really easy to get. The new Hornady 105 BTHP match bullet has a BC of .535 and it should easily be able to make 3000 FPS with 43 grains of 4350 out of a 23" barrel. Possibly 3050 FPS. so 7.0-7.4 mils to 1000 out of a handy gasser that will hold 1/2 MOA. Me thinks this might be a game changer!!!!!

Ill keep this thread updated on the progress, Have Dies and Bullets already and the rifle is already in the works.

I don't really have the place to shoot varmints, and I'm more of a paper puncher. The 6mm CM is definitely the direction I'm leaning, hadn't heard of it before. If I get an AR platform I really would like to throw on a brake like the gap titan, but that eliminates me from shooting f-class which I do already. I'm sure the recoil would be light enough where I wouldn't miss one on there. A bit off topic, but what would stop Hornady from patenting the 6mm Creedmoor? Seems like it would gain popularity over the rarer 6mm wildcats, and wouldn't be difficult to produce brass for w/ the 6.5 already in production?

I don't know what it would take for Hornady to do that. Look at it this way. If they do, you would have access to cheep match factory loads. All they are doing is sizing the neck from 6.5 to 6n just buy some 6.5 brass and run it through the 6 mm dies. Plus I believe they are working on getting a run of 6mm brass done so you can have the correctly labled brass if you want.

Call them on Monday to confirm this.