• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

AR10 mag extensions....Any out there?

grovermn5

dumpster fire
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
llinois
Does anyone know of magazine extension for ar10 mags that will ad 2-4 rounds?
Maybe even the possibility of a 3d printed extension.....I don't believe there are any 15 rounds mags other than Armalite stuff?

Interested in adding a little capacity to 10 round mags for PRS or field match stuff as 20 round mags can be too long.

Taran tactical makes a 5 round extender for pmags. You might need to do a bit of sculpting on the inner ribs to get reliable feeding. The extender allows the follower to move further down the mag than it is designed for. It moves below the guide ribs and can get stuck coming back up. I’ve had good success by making the “ramp” of the rib a more acute angle.

I’m working from memory, but it should make sense if you open up a 10 rounder…

Reactions: grovermn5
Taran tactical makes a 5 round extender for pmags. You might need to do a bit of sculpting on the inner ribs to get reliable feeding. The extender allows the follower to move further down the mag than it is designed for. It moves below the guide ribs and can get stuck coming back up. I’ve had good success by making the “ramp” of the rib a more acute angle.

I’m working from memory, but it should make sense if you open up a 10 rounder…
Thank you sir,
I've tried one in the past so I understand what you're referring to.
The rib does creat issues once you load the mag up past where the rib ends and will lock up the follower.

I presume that the stock springs will work fine?
Honestly , I also would presume that... but there is a part of me that wonders if it would, in any given given application.
I mean... would a cut down 20rd spring be better ? .. in your 10rd plus 5 extension ? Or, or for that matter, even a stock spring in a +5 with a 25rd mag ?

I would certainly contact the manufacturers and ask.
Tarten says...... No specialty tools, devices, or additional springs required for assembly/disassembly, simply pop off the insert at the bottom of the spring and slide on the extension.
But that is for the 25rd / 20rd Magpuls.

Reactions: Redlion
10 round pmags with 5 round extensions, using the stock 10 round spring, run fine in the 2 rifles I have used them in (1 bolt, one LR308). But, I used a thin chisel to reduce the sharpness of the transition of the guide ribs. It’s really just a few minutes of work. I would expect to need to do something similar for any mag/extension that uses a similar guide rib for the follower, where the follower is allowed to traverse below said rib.

Personally I'd go a different way, and carefully cut down a 20/25 pmag to your desired length, and then clip the spring incrementally until it works as desired. cut just above the baseplate locking elements, cut at desired point, carefully rejoin and then wrap with fiber tape. maximizes your capacity while giving you as much length as you can work with, and probably for a lot less cost aside from time.