• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AR10 trigger swap.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Guys, I have recently put together an Armalite AR10 lower and Noveske N6 upper. I am wanting to upgrade the trigger from the Armalite unit to an aftermarket one.

I have never changed the trigger in an AR platform and am wondering if it is difficult to swap in an aftermarket unit, properly. I am not sure which model is the best, but I am wanting something with a clean break, in the 2-2.5 lb range. I know this is not a bolt gun, but I want something that will feel more like the triggers in my bolt guns.

2 questions. First, which triggers should I consider, and secondly, is this something I can drop in relatively easily or does it require a smith to do properly?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but the fact is that I have always ordered AR's with the triggers I wanted from the get go. Never had to swap one out.

Re: AR10 trigger swap.

Changing the trigger in an AR-platform rifle is not recket science by any means. The difficulty of the job is only complicated by the trigger you choose as some of the more "advanced" adjustable triggers can require tuning and are generally for more experience AR home-smiths or professionals. Basically, to remove and reinstall a trigger group, you'll have to:

1) sep the upper/lower;
2) remove the pistol grip;
3) remove the selector spring/detent;
4) remove the takedown spring/detent;
5) knock out the hammer pin/remove hammer/spring;
6) knock out the trigger pin/remove the trigger/disconnector/spring;
7) reverse to reinstall.

Not terribly difficult, but can be a little trying the first time around. Also, the level of difficulty on reinstall can be simplified by using a 1pc/captive trigger like the Timney.

Based on your criteria for a replacement trigger, I'd recommend the Timney AR-10 trigger seen here:

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

This is a 4lb trigger, but it is a clean, crisp, little to no takeup, single stage unit. 4lbs may seem heavy, but for an AR-10, I wouldn't go as low as 2.5lbs if I were you. Awesome trigger in all respects and installation couldn't be simpler!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing the trigger in an AR-platform rifle is not recket science by any means. The difficulty of the job is only complicated by the trigger you choose as some of the more "advanced" adjustable triggers can require tuning and are generally for more experience AR home-smiths or professionals. Basically, to remove and reinstall a trigger group, you'll have to:

1) sep the upper/lower;
7) reverse to reinstall.

Not terribly difficult, but can be a little trying the first time around. Also, the level of difficulty on reinstall can be simplified by using a 1pc/captive trigger like the Timney.

Based on your criteria for a replacement trigger, I'd recommend the Timney AR-10 trigger seen here:

This is a 4lb trigger, but it is a clean, crisp, little to no takeup, single stage unit. 4lbs may seem heavy, but for an AR-10, I wouldn't go as low as 2.5lbs if I were you. Awesome trigger in all respects and installation couldn't be simpler! </div></div>

Thanks, I will definitely give the Timney more weight based on it being easier to install. Assuming this is the consensus. Timney has a great reputation, but I have never owned one.

I know semi triggers need to be heavier than bolt guns, but I would hope I could get under 4 lbs. I am trying to remember what trigger came in my LaRue SSS, but it sure seemed closer to 2 than 4lbs, although I dont own a pull weight gauge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing the trigger in an AR-platform rifle is not recket science by any means. The difficulty of the job is only complicated by the trigger you choose as some of the more "advanced" adjustable triggers can require tuning and are generally for more experience AR home-smiths or professionals. Basically, to remove and reinstall a trigger group, you'll have to:

1) sep the upper/lower;
7) reverse to reinstall.

This is a 4lb trigger, but it is a clean, crisp, little to no takeup, single stage unit. 4lbs may seem heavy, but for an AR-10, I wouldn't go as low as 2.5lbs if I were you. Awesome trigger in all respects and installation couldn't be simpler!</div></div>
I have a drop in 4.5lb Timney trigger on my AR and I love it.. So easy to install. Is your AR-10 a carbine or a heavy barreled version? The Ar-10 has more of a recoil impulse than an Ar-15 and a very light trigger in your hand might fire off an unwanted 2nd,3rd shot.....If it's a heavy barreled version or with a good brake or suppresor it might be enough to lower the impulse and keep the Ar-10 safe. If anyone can chime in about puting a very light Timney in an Ar-10... I havn't gone that low on poundage for an Ar-10 to know if this would affect it. I'm just theorizing...........SmokeRolls

Smoke- Mine is quite heavy. It has an 18" Noveske N6 upper. Currently it has an AAC Blackout FH on it, but the paperwork is in for a suppressor for it.

I dont want to go too light on the trigger, but I want to push it, LOL. As light as is reasonable for a precision AR is what I want.

The standard Armalite triggers are notoriously heavy (8lbs give or take) and gritty and generally not good at all in my experience.

Smoke is right on the money re: lightweight trigger pull on an AR-10. I had a Chip McCormick unit that broke consistently at 2.9lbs with an extremely short reset. I removed it after about fifty rounds in an older AR-10T after it doubled several times on me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The standard Armalite triggers are notoriously heavy (8lbs give or take) and gritty and generally not good at all in my experience.</div></div>
You are so right..... In fact I would say they are more like 12 pound and feal like dragging your finger thru a box of rocks. You would think they would atleast clean up the feal after this many years..But I love their rifle.......SmokeRolls

Have you ever felt a 2 stage trigger?

Most have a break on the 2nd stage of 2-2.5 lbs, you can get a Geissele adjusted down to 8-10 ounces on the 2nd stage.

An RRA can be bought around $100

A Geissele (the very best trigger on the market, bar none) runs around $280 for the adjustable and $175 for the non adjustable.

I don't know of a single stage trigger that would be reliable for long, that would be down to 2.5 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever felt a 2 stage trigger?

Most have a break on the 2nd stage of 2-2.5 lbs, you can get a Geissele adjusted down to 8-10 ounces on the 2nd stage.

An RRA can be bought around $100

A Geissele (the very best trigger on the market, bar none) runs around $280 for the adjustable and $175 for the non adjustable.

I don't know of a single stage trigger that would be reliable for long, that would be down to 2.5 lbs. </div></div>

+1.

I have Geissele's in all my AR's. They work great, you just take up the first stage and then the 2nd stage feels like a nice crisp bolt gun trigger. The adj. one in a little more complicated to install. The non adj one works great.

I'm convinced you need a 2 stage trigger to get a good pull in a semi.

-dan

I double the statement on the Geissele trigger. I have two of the DMR's and I am getting ready to install my third. They are expensive but they are awesome. Not hard to put in either for a novice like myself.

I wish I could try a Geissele and a Timney side by side. As well as some others.

Do any of you guys have 2-3 differenct aftermarket AR10 triggers installed currently where they can be tested side by side? I am not opposed to a 2 stage, but I think I would prefer a single.