ar400 steel

Re: ar400 steel

400? Dunno, for rifle, I guess it would be OK at longer ranges. I use it for my pistol targets

I usually get the stuff for about $.75/pound for 400 and $1.00/pound for 500. That's in 3/8"

I buy drops from a guy that fixes garbage trucks and bulldozer blades. He told me he charges people about $3.50-6.00/pound for the plate that goes into the jobs. I buy the stuff that's too small for him to use.

I have a 12"x16" AR400 target. At 100yd, 223 leaves pretty good pock marks, even out to 200yd. At 300yd 308 leaves only a slight burr (175 SMK). At any distances beyond 300yd, all I get is a gray smudge/splat.

local range has AR400 and at 300-400 my 300WM with 208's will put holes right through it. I felt bad when i happened too. My buddies 308 with 208's will dimple at 300. mine is travelling at 3000+ and his around 2500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RogueActual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">local range has AR400 and at 300-400 my 300WM with 208's will put holes right through it. I felt bad when i happened too. My buddies 308 with 208's will dimple at 300. mine is travelling at 3000+ and his around 2500 </div></div>
I am a steelshooter and I can assure you. Steel that dimples at 300yds with a 308 or a 300WM is NOT AR400. Our steel chickens are AR400 and I shoot them plenty with a 223 XP-100 75gr Match bullet at 2500 muzzle from 50M and they never show so much as a dimple. Now if your targets are immovable this can change things but still I have doubts your steel is AR400 if you show dimples at 300yds. The important thing when setting up a gong or swinger is allowing the target to move with the impact.

i would get AR500 if you are going to use a 7mm mag they have a super high sectional density and just punch holes in plate that they realy should not but i would rather spend a little more and make sure you dont punch holes because then you have problems.

I ordered (locally) two cut pieces of AR500 24x30x1/2" with two 9/16" holes, small radius rounded corners. Cost was around $230 with sales tax for both. When I got them, one was marked AR400. I called the sales office, and they weren't suprised (probably happened before). So they said they would cut me a deal on the next order.

Since they are AR400, we hung them out at 700 and 850-meters just to be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered (locally) two cut pieces of AR500 24x30" with two 9/16" holes, small radius rounded corners. Cost was around $230 with sales tax for both. When I got them, one was marked AR400. I called the sales office, and they weren't suprised (probably happened before). So they said they would cut me a deal on the next order.

Since they are AR400, we hung them out at 700 and 850-meters just to be safe. </div></div>
I have been in many heated discussions on other forums on what will and what will not hurt a target. Speed is number one steelkiller. Misidentification is number two. Plenty of ranges have steel targets that ended up not being what they paid to get, I suspect this to be the case a lot of times. If in doubt hang them out further...that is a good idea. Hold your steel suppliers nuts to the fire when you lay out good money for this expensive stuff. Yes AR500 will take a mean beating, but if it absolutely positively needs to stop a bullet AR600 will get it done.

FYI - had a AR500 plate 3/8" thick that we were shooting 223Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 308Win, and 50BMG (Ball) at 200-yards this weekend. The 6.5CM and the 50BMG gave it some small pinhead sized dimples, and the 50BMG bowed the plate ever so slightly. We had it stuck in the sand leaning against a wooden post.

I've bowed AR500 1/2" thick plate hammering it with 7.62x39 at 100-yards and less.

LOL I hear ya Alpine. We had a guy shoot our T-1 ram swinger at 200M with a 50BMG, it did not penetrate him but bowed him so bad he looked like a pringle tater chip
smile.gif

yeah the local range solid mounted the steel, due to the location of the range.. its too close to other properties so they had to be solid mounted and faced at a downward angle. so your right, it did change the properties of the steel

AR500, 3/8" thick, at 900 yards, takes 338LM and 375 Cheytac hits with no visible damage whatsoever. It does swing freely ... and the Cheytac does move it around quite a bit esp if the hit is towards the edges. Clearly a lot of energy is dissipated away from plate damage if you allow the target to swing.

Another huge benefit of letting the target swing is you can absolutely confirm if you've hit the plate or not. Sometimes you just don't want to go out and paint the steel...

I shoot an ar400 plate with a .300 wby and 208 a-max, and at 400 or more, no real damage is done. Maybe a very light dent. You can barely feel it if you run your hand over it. This target is free to swing when I hit it though. Oddly enough, a .22-250 will put a good pock mark in it at 200 though. I bought a chunk of it big enough to cut out 3 12" circles, and 2 prairie dogs from a local company that uses it for wear plates in rock crushers for $11.

Buyer beware, unless you get the steel from a reliable source (i.e. Bobcat Steel), you may get something different then what you are expecting. Example, ordered some AR500 steel plates from the local steel supply outfit, when I received the two plates, one was marked AR400 with the standard yellow crayon type marking that steel suppliers usually use.

I called the salesman, and told him what happened, and he wasn't suppried as the guys working out in the yard are min. wage workers, and sometimes don't give a rats-ass to what they grab from stock. I told him it would be a big hassle to return them, and he agreed, and offered a discount on my next order.

Anyway, we hang them out beyond 500-yards just to be safe, and have shot them with 300WM and 50BMG with no issues at the longer ranges.

One thing I do when I get new steel plates is take the rust off of them with a grinder using a stainless steel coarse brush wheel prior to priming and painting. If it's AR500, the sharp edges don't get rounded off and stay crisp, if it's AR400 or softer, you start to get rounded edges.

That's an easy way to tell before you drill holes in them with bullets.

Hey Andy,
How's it going?
All those silhouette's at Chuck's range are AR400, after 500 yards they will take anything.

We just copied some of those head-hunters, set them up at 595 & 730, what fun! The weld broke on the 730 though, they were made with AR400.
Miles

At 1040 the hot rolled, mild plates that I hung took everything to 300WSM without so much as breaking the mill slag off the impact point.

The 33cal magnums lightly dished the mild plate after repeated visits from 300 SMK's and 300 Scenars.

The AR400 that I have shot at the same distance takes everything that we've thrown at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Andy,
How's it going?
All those silhouette's at Chuck's range are AR400, after 500 yards they will take anything.

We just copied some of those head-hunters, set them up at 595 & 730, what fun! The weld broke on the 730 though, they were made with AR400.
Miles </div></div>

Doing well Miles. Sounds like fun, Travis and I where talking about coming up a day early next year just to bang on steel and give you guys a hand if you need the help. Do you know if the steel at the Ranch was AR500? I remember the guy who was shooting 6.5x47L say there was some holes drilled in a few of the carbine targets.

Andy,
The stuff we hung was AR500, but there was some plates out there that were railroad plates, They had square holes punched in em. You must be refuring to TY, Ronnie's partner,
I heard he was mad on one coarse because of the holes.