• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Are ADM QD, verical split ring mounts that bad?

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
This seems like a contentious question but it hasn't come up in a while so Inwas hoping to get current opinions.

My local shop that has everything I am getting for a new build has a selection of ADM mounts. I am looking for a 20 MOA base and had my eye on the Recon S type. They also have a lot of the Recon cantilever models.

I see a lot of hate for both QD mounts and vertically split rings but these rings are independent of the base so are they an exception? The only other 20 MOA bases they have are one model Vortex and a few Sphurs. I have had a Spuhr before but it's double the price and I just don't know how much better it is.

Sorry to reopen an old debate.

Some people have success, I would skip the vertical split myself though.
What is it you are putting together that requires a mount vs normal rings and a canted base?
If you have to get a mount with cant built in I would look at the arc mbrace. Its 300 vs 250 for the adm.

I have one ADM w/ vertical split rings and one LaRue with vertically split rings and haven't had issues with either. I also have a number of others that aren't vertically split, Badger, ARC, Scalarworks, Primary Arms PLx, etc...really find no functional difference other than the mounting process. I really like the QD feature and I do swap scopes back and forth.

Some people have success, I would skip the vertical split myself though.
What is it you are putting together that requires a mount vs normal rings and a canted base?
If you have to get a mount with cant built in I would look at the arc mbrace. Its 300 vs 250 for the adm.
The receiver has a flat base already (it's a Tikka CTR) as does my other CTR so instead of replacing two bases I figured I could have a mount that could be switched between rifles if need be.

That said the store also has Tikka 20 MOA bases so maybe I will just buy one of those. Maybe two for both rifles. That and Vortex precision rings are actually cheaper than an ADM.

I was just wondering is ADM had become anyones favorite precision rifle mounting system recently for any reason.

I have one ADM w/ vertical split rings and one LaRue with vertically split rings and haven't had issues with either. I also have a number of others that aren't vertically split, Badger, ARC, Scalarworks, Primary Arms PLx, etc...really find no functional difference other than the mounting process. I really like the QD feature and I do swap scopes back and forth.
Thanks for the feedback. I had seen the posts where Frank, among other people, claimed they could cause issues with elevation erectors. I guess they could but horizontal rings don't seem to cause issues with windage controls and no one takes issue with Spuhr's 45° clamping system.

That said the store also has Tikka 20 MOA bases so maybe I will just buy one of those. Maybe two for both rifles. That and Vortex precision rings are actually cheaper than an ADM.
That’s what I would do myself but I’m pretty sure the rails are glued on so you’ll need to set an iron on it to soften the glue compound.
A bit more work that just getting a 20moa mount but I would prefer it personally.