• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Area 419 hellfire vs sidewinder -what system to buy into?

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
Both breaks seem to work really well possible advantage to the sidewinders

Both will work with the suppressor I am gonna buy,

So what universal mount system and break would you get if you were just starting

Planning on a few ar’s and a bolt gun for now, hopefully more I’ll follow

I thought the SW had a bit better Recoil reduction. That seemed incrementally more obvious with the more gas in a given system. IE: There was not much of a difference I could perceive with a 6 BR in a SW over a HF. But that difference was more obvious with a 6.5 CM. But a SW would look goofy on an AR.

Another vote for hellfire, for your application. I have both, as I run a sidewinder on a 300wm, and swap out the hellfire for 3 other rifles (2 of which are AR platforms). The recoil reduction on 300wm is noticeable compared to the hellfire, but sometimes I still wish they all worked with the same adapters. If I sell one of them so that I am able to run one system, it would be the sidewinder, as it would just look ridiculous on any of my AR's. If the bolt gun you are planning on getting isn't a magnum, I wouldn't see a need for the sidewinder. If you run one suppressor on everything, I would go with the hellfire no matter what the rifle caliber will be.

I was just about to ask if anyone has used the sidewinder yet and what their thoughts are on it. I have a 300 win mag coming.

It's an Area419 so the quality is great. I'm not able to compare actual data in terms of recoil vs the two on a 300wm, so I don't know how much more recoil reduction you get with the Sidewinder over the Hellfire. I am using it on a hunting rifle, so my rifle is not as heavy as a typical competition rifle, and it definitely kicks a bit. That being said, I am very happy with the Sidewinder. With my rifle "unbraked" my scope was nowhere near on target after a shot. Now I can spot my shots. For me it was never about getting less of a beating from my rifle, I just wanted quicker follow up shots and to be able to see my impacts.

My only downside is that it can be a pain in the ass switching cans if I want to. I am pretty frugal with my money, so I liked being able to switch my suppressor onto all my rifles. Having a hellfire on everything but my 300WM makes that difficult. I'll probably just get a dedicated suppressor for it in the future. It is pretty large, but still looks good on my rifle. On a smaller rifle, it would probably look a little goofy.

Reactions: z7.jled
Another vote for the Hellfire. If you are not trying to maximize recoil reduction then the 2P version works great on the AR’s without adding to much length but will also help on the bolt action. Could always upgrade to the full size later as it uses the same adapter.

I have been through a handful of muzzle brakes; Mad Scientist, Hellfire, Insite Arms, Little Bastard. People swear there is a difference in recoil reduction, but it is so small in my experience it is almost negligible. I am moving back to the hellfire system as it is the easiest to put on and remove. It doesnt do anything the best, but is an all around good brake.

Last edited:
I have been through a handful of muzzle brakes; Mad Scientist, Hellfire, Insite Arms, Little Bastard. People swear there is a difference in recoil reduction, but it is so small in my experience it is almost negligible. I am moving back to the hellfire system as it is the easiest to put on and remove. It doesnt do anything the best, but is an all around good brake.

one of the things I noticed was the degree of muzzle rise between the different types. All the ones you listed have a lot going on geometrically. Contrast this to something like impact's MB that have a flat baffle design that I have found don't have as much recoil reduction but better muzzle flip characteristics. Then couple that with the amount of gas behind one (IE Caliber) seems to make a difference. I agree man - it is hard to tell after a while they all feel the same recoil wise.

one of the things I noticed was the degree of muzzle rise between the different types. All the ones you listed have a lot going on geometrically. Contrast this to something like impact's MB that have a flat baffle design that I have found don't have as much recoil reduction but better muzzle flip characteristics. Then couple that with the amount of gas behind one (IE Caliber) seems to make a difference. I agree man - it is hard to tell after a while they all feel the same recoil wise.

Each ones baffle design is slightly different:

Mad Scientist - baffles perpendicular to the barrel
Little Bastard/Hellfire - baffles angled rearward, 30-45deg angle (guessing here), towards the shooter
Heathen - First baffle is flat and large, then 2 baffles that are less angled rearward than the Hellfire or Little Bastard, maybe 20-30deg.

As others have said the Mad Scientist and Heathen have less muzzle rise than the other brakes that are angled rearward. So much so that it is noticeable between outings? No. So much so that if you fired each back to back youd notice? Honestly, I do not know.

I am going back to suppressed, it is more of a push than a recoil and have found I can stay on target better during follow through.

Reactions: z7.jled