• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Army selects Sig Tango 6

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Not sure if this has been discussed here. looks like the Army went with the 1-6 ffp with a dedicated 308 reticle

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/army-sig-tango6-sdmr-rifle/

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Reactions: LG65CM
    What is the Army's love affair with Sig of late? First the Sig P320 and now this? I don't have anything against Sig, I like Sig and a lot of their products but like I said when they announced the P320 I would really like to see the American military invest in "American" companies for its contracts. I understand we live in a global economy and many manufacturers source parts from all over the world, but there is just something about knowing our military budget is going to line the coffers of foreign business conglomerates who don't have the best interests of the USA at heart that rubs me the wrong way. There are better scopes than Sigs Tango6 and there are cheaper scopes, so why did they choose the Sig?

What is the Army's love affair with Sig of late? First the Sig P320 and now this? I don't have anything against Sig, I like Sig and a lot of their products but like I said when they announced the P320 I would really like to see the American military invest in "American" companies for its contracts. I understand we live in a global economy and many manufacturers source parts from all over the world, but there is just something about knowing our military budget is going to line the coffers of foreign business conglomerates who don't have the best interests of the USA at heart that rubs me the wrong way. There are better scopes than Sigs Tango6 and there are cheaper scopes, so why did they choose the Sig?
    Problem is S&W M&P’s suck ass.

They are so fucked up it's not funny. When we had phenomenal training and requested better rifles, we were told to make do with what we had. We got better stuff here and there by breaking and bending rules and such, but at the end of the day it was still an M4 with an ACOG and bipod. Some got SOPMOD upgrades at the SF gunsmith shop, which was better than nothing for sure.

Now their training is more of a familiarization and lasts half as long, I bet the solution was to throw more money at it. I bet if we'd shot shittier, we'd have gotten those M14's we requested. Oh well. So now they have to integrate weapon and optics familiarization into a class that's already too short. I get it, it's the rifle and optic that'll make 'em better and make up for losing another day at school shooting.

We designed and requested several different rifles at that time. I find it funny that years later, nearly every request has been adopted by someone or other. The recce rifle. That was our SDM choice in a nutshell, KAC FF match barrel (not necessarily Lilja). The KAC M110, some finally got that. M14's were more of a marine and navy thing but we requested those too. The list goes on.

Seems to me they'd save a fuck load of time and money by letting high GT score soldiers from each particular MOS decide what we need and don't need. In a focus group maybe? Probably would have ended up with 16" chrome lined M110's w/ACOG or VCOG and Glock 19 or 17. More range time and training, smaller or no spendex in fall. Guarantee it. Speaking of spendex, don't imagine for one moment these rifles will be exempt, no, they'll have 'em breaking belts down to run through 'em as fast as possible. They'll be shot out with no round count and used until the finish wears off. Shame.

But it doesn't matter WHAT rifle you give them if you don't take the time to teach wind, mirage, trig/MOA/mils, etc., etc. May as well give 'em a tracking point rifle and a familiarization and call it a day. Looks to be the way they are headed anyway.

Good points Strykervet. I'm prior military. Long time ago. In the land of the beloved little yellow people. OK. I was at a great shooting facility owned by a retired Army Top. He told me that today, the grunts quality on their rifles and learn their manual of arms. But requalify using some form of video set up. Not even actually shooting . OK. I am on the 'Military Times' emailng list. While back I read an article of theirs where the Army is increasing the length of time for One Station Unit Training (grunt training) and by either 2 weeks or 4. The extra time was to be dedicated to giving the soldier more time on the range actually shooting and in more realistic settings (combat scenarios) rather than just a straight-up line style rifle range. Plus more time on martial arts fighting.

OK. Then I read where the Army is coming out with a new rifle for their Designated Marksman. An HK or based on the HK. (so naturally they gotta have this new optic, the topic of this thread, I'm jumping all over). But, here is the deal. The rational for the rifle and therefor the scope is: the current rifles (actually their ammo) are not penetrating the Taliban's or ISIS's body armour. Evidentally these two opfors have upgraded their body armour (those that have any) where the current 7.62 rounds aren't effective.

So, the bottom line to me is, yes, the Army will get the new rifle and optic but these won't solve the problem without a more effective, penetrating-wise, 7.62 round. Which they are working on. My point is that it seems to me they could keep the rifle and scope in current use and change the effectiveness of the 7.62 round (which according to my read are sticking with the caliber). But, I guess if the military is going to change the ammo, they figure they just as well change the rifle and optic too.

Maybe they are right in every regard. I dunno. I have not always been able to figure out milthink. :) lg

I would have went either vcog or accupower 1-8. Either is a great scope for a csass type system and Trijicon is no stranger to dod contract fulfillment.

Last edited:
    Reactions: StealthOwl
    So is this the 'official' G28 optic, or is it simply approved to be issued/used with one?

I know what they are trying to do with the 'whats old is new again' focus on a DM and putting them in at the squad level but feel the G28 as a whole, along with this optic are a total half measure that does nothing well.

Engagement distances in Afghanistan are generally 600m-900m+ when they pick when to fight us, and carbine distance, if that, when we close on/counter/ambush them. This is also with an enemy that tends to not stay in one place too long and in some instances actually has a counter ambush or a hasty ambush in retreat up their sleeve if CAS doesn't relocate them. Iraq is slightly different as far as engagement distances and I can't speak to them firsthand.

I just can't understand how a semi auto 308 with a 1-6 on it is going to improve anything other than agreeing with the fact that the 7.62 platform can have a shorter barrel and still be effective; yet the real problem solver was left on the table with not switching it to a 6.5 to at least somewhat solve the engagement distance issue that's all too common. At distance, the 308 will still be heavily reliant on the shooter as well as the ballistics are not too fantastic. Add in a 1-6x optic with a semi that is approved to be a 1.5MOA gun and this becomes even more of a feat. Shorter engagement distances, and you arent going to be using the larger, heavier G28 too often while bounding and closing in on the enemy (Germans made this mistake way before the G28 as well with the G3A3 that I had the privledge to knock myself in the knees with all day long); let alone is it going to be acceptable that one guy in the squad holes up somewhere to give cover/fire support with a semi auto DMR. Doesn't make sense; it does neither of the 2 things they are wanting this DM role to do, well.

The G28 fixes nothing. KAC's issues with the M110 at first aside, I think this is a step back and will do nothing to negate the SOP that a lot of guys ended up taking on with carrying a SASS in that, we also ended up carrying a carbine with us as well.

Last edited:
    The G28 has the S&B 3-20 US. It is hard to imagine a good rifle like the H&K 7.62mm running DMR with only a 6x scope. Price point might have been a factor. I would have at least erred for 8x and gone with the Leupold CQBSS or Nightforce ATACR. Even the Steiner M6Xi 1-6x...

I am not privvy to the details of the selection, but Tango6 is a very decent scope and the version they selected is somewhat improved, to the best of my knowledge, compared to what is currently on the market. I am fairly certain that they will be assembling it in Oregon, so that is a good thing too. I like it when manufacturers start doing more in the US.

I do expect the improvements in the military version of Tango6 to trickle down into the scopes available to the consumer soon enough as well.

Whether it is indeed better than the competition and what the criteria were, I really do not know and do not want to make any assumption given lack of information.

ILya

I've looked though that scope and found it disappointing. An ATACR or CQBSS are no comparison to a tango 6 but the new mark 5 3-18x would have made a far better choice. But then they are running an obsolete caliber like 308 with 1-6x scope and a shit reticle as a DMR. SOCOM's got the right idea in adopting 6.5cm and retiring 308 from their long range target interdiction program.

There is a reason that I am no longer in the Military!

Outside of SOCOM (and it is not always Sunshine & Roses there) the STUPIDITY that goes on in Big Green (and other branches) is ever increasing!

From a pure shooting standpoint, your average competitor at a civilian match (NRA, PRS, etc) can shoot circles around a Big Green trigger puller. This is due to many things:
    - piss poor initial & sustainment training
    - outdated & ineffective equipment
    - ineffective policies

When they “try” to “fix” these issues, you get results like this topic. Let’s stick a 1-6 scope with a BDC on a .308, instead of let’s stick a 3-18 scope (or something similar) with a good Mil Reticle on a 6.5 rifle.

Lowest common denominator wins!

It is really sad what we expect out of our military, given how poorly they are supported!

Apologies for the rant.

Meh, no love, no hate for the M&P.

Its a service pistol, it performs that role well enough.

Havent played with the 320 but my feelings would be the same for any poly pistol.

Work gun made for LCD vs gun that has a soul and I want to carry.
    I used to carrry an MP40 as my duty weapon in a previous life. No love lost for it.

More trash picked by the DoD, atleast they are consistent with picking trash.

Sig optics
    Sig Pistols

Could have CQBSS, NF 1-8, Razor 1-6, M9A3, G17/19 or VP9, and they would all smoke trash Sig.

And to the cat who said the M&P is not a piece of shit, they belong in a trash can next to sig pistols and XD's.

M&P is just as serviceable as a Glock, for law enforcement,I have both and shoot both. Sig 320 was doing very well in USPSA production. For military use the pistol is hardly used anyways but the Glock might be best for utter reliability and simplicity of parts. I do think the multiple sig contracts are fishy.

Don't have much experience with the Sig tango 6 but yes, a 6.5 CM with a leupy MK-5 would have been much better if the mission was to extend effective range. Many on this forum are much more in the know on the specific program in question. With the 6.5/leupy in mils even a couple days teaching range estimation with a mil dot master slide rule and taping a rough dope chart to each stock would improve hits I would think.

What is the current length of the DMR school? Anyone able to provide a rough breakdown of the different topics covered and how effective it is overseas once employed?

Last edited:
    Interesting to see a 1-6 on a 7.62.

FWIW, I attended last year's USAF Security Forces Symposium where they displayed a variety of weapons and systems including the 5.56 "Improved Modular Rifle (Blue)" that was wearing a 1-8 Vortex. The troops said they thought the final version would be wearing a NF 1-8.

They did not have a DMR but did have a M110A1 CSASS displayed with a S&B that supposedly entered inventory this year. AF TTPs have evolved since I got out and may not include the equivalent of a DMR at the squad level these days.

Sorry for the Apples to Oranges, but I can't for the life of me think why a SDMR would have a 1-6. Now back to your regular programming...

Symposium IMR3.jpg

Symposium IMR 2.jpg

Symposium IMR1.jpg

Symposium DMR 3.jpg

Symposium DMR1.jpg

Symposium DMR 2.jpg

Reactions: jLorenzo
    M&P is just as serviceable as a Glock, for law enforcement,I have both and shoot both. Sig 320 was doing very well in USPSA production. For military use the pistol is hardly used anyways but the Glock might be best for utter reliability and simplicity of parts. I do think the multiple sig contracts are fishy.

Don't have much experience with the Sig tango 6 but yes, a 6.5 CM with a leupy MK-5 would have been much better if the mission was to extend effective range. Many on this forum are much more in the know on the specific program in question. With the 6.5/leupy in mils even a couple days teaching range estimation with a mil dot master slide rule and taping a rough dope chart to each stock would improve hits I would think.

What is the current length of the DMR school? Anyone able to provide a rough breakdown of the different topics covered and how effective it is overseas once employed?
    WRONG.

The M&P was a massive failure that bassically required replacing all or the internals with actual not shit parts like aped to even begin to be serviceable. Even then they are a terrible platform with pre mature chamber unlocking resulting in horrible accuracy and other issues. Only retarded agencies adopted them due to Smith bassically giving them away with trade ins. The vast majority of those same agencies also got rid of the M&P either moving to the Glock or back to their old standard ( Sig's or glock, despite us made Sig's being shit as well, they were still not M&P level failure).

So here we are, 10 plus years later and Smith Finally fixes some of the issues with the 2.0 release. Meanwhile resellers and police suppliers can't even give away m&p trade ins because only the ignorant are dumb enough to waste money on that trash.

Anyone out there actually serious will be shooting a Glock, HK, Walther or CZ. It's one of the easiest ways to tell if an shooter is actually informed or just another lemming.

Reactions: Alarka
    WRONG.

The M&P was a massive failure that bassically required replacing all or the internals with actual not shit parts like aped to even begin to be serviceable. Even then they are a terrible platform with pre mature chamber unlocking resulting in horrible accuracy and other issues. Only retarded agencies adopted them due to Smith bassically giving them away with trade ins. The vast majority of those same agencies also got rid of the M&P either moving to the Glock or back to their old standard ( Sig's or glock, despite us made Sig's being shit as well, they were still not M&P level failure).

So here we are, 10 plus years later and Smith Finally fixes some of the issues with the 2.0 release. Meanwhile resellers and police suppliers can't even give away m&p trade ins because only the ignorant are dumb enough to waste money on that trash.

Anyone out there actually serious will be shooting a Glock, HK, Walther or CZ. It's one of the easiest ways to tell if an shooter is actually informed or just another lemming.

I eagerly wait your appointment to procurement officer.

Excellent.

Speak to my agency and than issue the best which the lowest common denominator will than either be unable to learn the manual of arms for or will end up shooting themselves. Maintenance? Make sure it runs with a jelly donut drip and powder sugar in the slide raceway.

Sadly performance is only one of the factors and its not the main factor.

I am certain everything that is done is based on the total understanding that there will be no money for training.

We disdain the Soviets for issuing Mosins but at tleast they were honest about who would end up using the gear.

Excellent.

Speak to my agency and than issue the best which the lowest common denominator will than either be unable to learn the manual of arms for or will end up shooting themselves. Maintenance? Make sure it runs with a jelly donut drip and powder sugar in the slide raceway.

Sadly performance is only one of the factors and its not the main factor.

I am certain everything that is done is based on the total understanding that there will be no money for training.

We disdain the Soviets for issuing Mosins but at tleast they were honest about who would end up using the gear.

What's your problem with Mosins? I have some Finnish Mosins that will shoot with just about anything from the same era and outshoot most of it.

ILya

What's your problem with Mosins? I have some Finnish Mosins that will shoot with just about anything from the same era and outshoot most of it.

ILya

The Finns realized they were issuing them to people with a higher level of education and were willing to maintain the rifles.

You cant compare a Finnish "custom" to a Soviet expedient.

Nothing against the Russian soldiers form the countryside that carried them they were brave and their lack of education speaks more to their govt than their personal selves.

Oddly though Id trade my public school education for a cosmopolitan soviet education in a heart beat just hold the economics - Im good there.

Contracting is hard to blame when agency and DOD officials up in the chain ultimately make the decisions. Most COs care more about their career then actual integrity. Even then, they will just be replaced with someone who plays the game and does what the compromised offical wants. It's a racket, with the illusion of integrity but in reality no different then a criminal cartel. At the end of the day the taxpayer gets taken advantage of and the end user get substandard products and service. Meanwhile that SES or .mil officer ends up with a nice big atfter retirement. It's one of the he reason i would push for a bar on any contracting officer or selecting offical receiving a check from any industry they ever were involved in. There is supposed to be a thing called civil service where you sacririce the big paycheck for the good of your country and fellow service members. Unfortunately we live in a society where 95% of the people are selfish and greedy fucks who care more about themselves then the nation. Of the remaining 5%, there are too few of us to fix the problem. Best we can is try to minimize the damage and apply a sound fidutiary responsibility and integrity within our reach. Most of my coworkers, even retired military are no different then welfare leeches who care more about what they can extract from the nation instead of how they can contribute to it.

Rant off

I'd be happy if they wouldn't be so vindictive in their greed.

Okay make your personally rewarding Deal but than don't compound the problem by prohibiting me to use a Giessle or Apex trigger on my own dime.

Reactions: deersniper
    WRONG.

I'm not looking to start a ghey Glock vs S&W thread with you. Lots of agencies and individual LE are switching from Glock to M&P still. The 2.0 improved the trigger. In general Glocks are slightly more inherently accurate but the m&p makes up for it with improved ergonomics. Saying you're a lemming if you carry an M&P is dumb. Guys with opinions so emotional and closed minded lose credibility with those that know. I can run either, I shoot both well and in a very large agency we have just as many Glocks fail as m&p. If you want to talk rifles, the m&p15 lately has sucked ass, lots of failures. The handgun is here to stay though and has been edging out a lot of Glock fanboys. Again, as it relates to this thread...well it really doesn't.

You mean when Glock traded them out brand new guns for the used pistols for free? Who cares? Glock is in their back yard too, it makes sense. That is not indicitive of m&p's being a failure, again, more cops are actually using them now than ever before. I shoot handguns a lot, have tens of thousands of rounds through my first m&p, have never had a non-ammo related failure. Our department is about half Glock half m&p. Failure rate is very minimal for both. On the gen 1 m&p the trigger was not great. I run an Apex. The gen 2 is much improved, really needs nothing out of the box and comes with good steel or night sights. The Glock needs new sights out the box and is not comfortable for many to shoot. It is also improved with a 25 cent trigger job and a titanium safety plunger. For a duty gun either is plenty reliable and accurate. I have read S&W does send out more accurate M&P's for their blue label guns. Either way, they work fine and are reliable and made in the USA. I might start carrying my 34 on duty but have not had any reason to switch so far.

No need to beat a dead horse.

-Both guns need new sights out of the box to be serviceable
    -Glock goes not need its internals so much as touched to be serviceable. Buying an M&P is buying a defective , parts kit that requires after-market parts to make even remotely serviceable, and still is inferior to glock.
    -I could care less what your department uses. Police departments are notorious for piss poor testing as they usualy don't have the budget nor internal expertise to properly evaluate a weapon. Hence why so many just adopt whatever the FBI use because they actually do real controlled testing. Not the police chief getting kickbacks and his brother cousin putting a case of ammo though one or two samples and calling it good.
    -Lots of agencies do not provide weapons. Officer purchases make up the vast majority of M&P and XD sidearms out there.
    -Glock prices have been the same for 30 years. Smith has to slash their prices + offer cash rebates just to get the masses to buy their junk.
    -Duty guns should require nothing other than new sights and a change of grip for the shooter if they are modular. Dicking with internals, springs, after market parts ect generally makes the weapon more unreliable. Smith actually defied the odds by creating a service pistol that requires after-market to be serviceable. That tells you everything you need to know about their quality.

And no glock didn't just trade them out. Agencies have been dumping them in mass due to piss poor performance when they are actually used. Most that have, just went back to what they used to use, either sigs, glocks or HK's. If Atlanta PD went back to glock because they are in their back yard, then why did they select M&P in the first place? Glock has been in Smryna for decades, why now?

There is a reason the market has been flooded for the last few years with police trade in M&P's. They were going to $200-250 used and still not selling. This dude will sell them for $200 a pop if u buy 3 http://summitgunbroker.com/m-p-40--285.html.

So stop pretending the M&P isn't a colossal piece of shit because it is. The market has reacted. Its no different then the HS2000 which is a Croatian $200 piece of shit re-branded by Springfield. Hell, I own or have owned just about every pistol on the market and still own a half dozen glocks,, M&P's and sigs, despite almost never shooting them anymore. I have a custom M&P with just about every part replaced with something better than stock. And its still a range gun despite being more reliable and accurate than your run of the mill M&P.

IMO The VP9 and PPQ are both superior platforms that give nothing up to glock. But at the end of the day, the glock is the golden standard of reliability and durability. Go out and ask the top trainers in the country, who see dozens of new shooters every week putting 500-1000 rounds through pistols every other day what actually works. A Police office who shoots 2 mags twice a year qualifying is not even shooting enough to know if they are issues. Running lots of samples hard and fast with heavy volume separates the wheat from the chaff.

What if 25% of M&P's are defective, assuming there ins't actual engineering defects that there are. Statistically you would get a gun that you think is fine. Service weapons are like parachutes, you want to jump a chute with a 25% failure rate? If you are , that says a lot more about you than you know.