• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Army selects Sig Tango 6

A decent video from Frank Proctor on the 1-4 , 1-6 on a 5.56, a one gun to do it all. probably what the Army was thinking with the 1-6 sig selection.

Army is 15 years late to the party. Dboys and and RRC were running shortdots before most even know they existed. My brother was used one in reccce/snipers in 2/75 back in like 04.

Big army, always gearing up for the last war they fought.

Reactions: KM375
Have you ever tried to clear a room with off set sights?
What happens when you have your sights offset on the right side of the weapon and you have to clear from the right side of the door way?
I'll tell you what happens. you end up in the middle of the threshold before you can bring your sights to bear.
Sure, you can add an RDS, another electronic to worry about and batteries to carry.
3 gunning, IPSC and such are games.
There is no real world application in what they do tactics wise.
Trying to slice the pie while running offset sights will get you dead.
For fucks sake, these are not sniper rifles, they are infantry carbines with magnified optics. They have to do several jobs.
Any time you make a specialty tool to do multiple jobs, it will do them generally well, but will not excel at any one thing.
You want to ID something or someone? Break out your fucking binoculars.
The Tango 6 is a LOW made optic, which nearly everyone agrees, makes very good optics.

Since you asked, yes I have! While I prefer to use an RDS piggyback, I can still run the BUIS if needed.

As far as the RDS battery issue goes, just one example that shuts that argument down:
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Dual-Illuminated
Of course, you can also run the LED on most new RDS for over a year now without changing a battery. The last battery I changed on an RMR went 15 months.

Of course, as pointed out above, if you also look at the Mk12 (and similar platforms), this whole concept has been around for over 15+ years.
Mk12s.JPG

Competitive shooting sports like 3 Gun are a game, never mistake them for anything else. But they are also a platform that pushes the performance level of the shooter and equipment, and it is responsible for a number of advances that have carried over to the battlefield. Interestingly someone posted a Frank Proctor video above. From his website: "In May 2007 I started competitive shooting and found out what I didn’t know about shooting." Having shot with Frank for many years, he will be the first to tell you that any form of quality competative shooting will increase your skillset and show you the pros & cons of the equipement that you are running.

Binos, unless you are carrying your own, the M22s & M24s are 7 power, so that is giving you 1x above what the scope can do. The M25s are 14x, but good luck finding a pair! I am not disagreeing with the concept, because I do carry my own higher power set. However, once I am on a rifle, I don’t want to be ping ponging back & forth to try and PID what I am looking at.

As far as tactics go, that is ultimately up to the people who execute them.
The recommendation to put a higher power magnified optic on a rifle was for the DMR, not everyone. That leaves plenty of regular M4 toaters to be first through the door. As a DMR, they should typically NOT be the first one through the door, they should be watching for and addressing threats from longer distances, aka Overwatch. I know very well firsthand what a typical 11B can and cannot do. And this training, equipment, and concept is not something that everyone will be able to utilize. Of course, that is also why not everyone is a DMR.

This is not about making Snipers. There is no need for all of the fieldcraft and other things that makes up the difference between a Sniper and DMR. This is strictly about increasing the shooting capability and lethality of a select few individuals through better equipment, training, and tactics.

The 1-6 is an improvement and move in the right direction. But it is also a “half step” to where things could ultimately end up going. If everyone is willing to settle for the 1-6, then that is where things will stay. If people are not willing to settle for it, and will keep pushing for more improvements, then in typical military fashion, something might happen years from now. Getting the 1-6 for DMRs was a victory, but the war is far from being over!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Showing pictures of dead squeels who died due to ignoring every facet of small unit tactical movements and recon is not a good way to prove a point. Not only did they kill themself, they also killed half their QRF and a fine crew of army aviation who should never had been there in the first place. The result of squeel piss poor planning and lack of basic soldiering that is drilled into the head of every leg 11b and 0311 cherry. The army then had to come in and save their lone survivor and pick up the bodies of the dead. To put icing on the cake, they brought a tough book full of highly classified Intel including US embassy blueprints on the op that was captured by the Taliban and ended up with ISS and the Iranians. Yea bro, not a good example.

No one is going to be the one or two man in a stack clearing buildings with that fucking musket mk12.

Reactions: jbailey
Showing pictures of dead squeels who died due to ignoring every facet of small unit tactical movements and recon is not a good way to prove a point. Not only did they kill themself, they also killed half their QRF and a fine crew of army aviation who should never had been there in the first place. The result of squeel piss poor planning and lack of basic soldiering that is drilled into the head of every leg 11b and 0311 cherry. The army then had to come in and save their lone survivor and pick up the bodies of the dead. To put icing on the cake, they brought a tough book full of highly classified Intel including US embassy blueprints on the op that was captured by the Taliban and ended up with ISS and the Iranians. Yea bro, not a good example.

No one is going to be the one or two man in a stack clearing buildings with that fucking musket mk12.

I used that picture because it was a quick grab to reference that those rifles and optics have already been successfully used in other parts of the Military. Sorry, I was not trying to use it to start an Infantry tactics debate, or to disrespect men who died fighting for this country.

Funny that you can't be in a stack with that musket, because I was in a stack in the late 80s with a M16A1 and the early 90s with a M16A2 doing plenty of room clearing. (Amazing what you experience and learn over a 25+ year career) Yeah thats right, you can acutally do it WITHOUT one of those short sexy rifles if you practice it. It sucked, but because no one was screaming and fighting about the need for better equipment at that time (like I am trying to do), we were stuck with them and had no other choice until the M4 finally came along in the mid 90s. Of course the Marines were still kicking doors with an M16 well into the 2000s.

Better equipment and training equals more lethality, and less Brothers coming home in body bags. After many long hard years, I am on the sidelines now, so I will be glad to fight for those needed changes.