• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Army Squad Designated Marksman RifleClone Build

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am puttting together one of these builds.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">For the parts list I have is:</span>

Daniel Defense 12.0" M4 Handgaurd
Upper Reciever w/ M4 cuts
WOA Designated Marksman bbl w/ flutes + Front sight post (M4 Ramps)
A2 Buttsock
Stag Lower
Timney Trigger (had this as an extra trigger)
Trijicon TA01 NSN Optic
Larue Acog mount
A2 Flash Hider
Bravo Company USA (auto) Bolt Group/Assembly
Rifle Length Gas Tube
Harris Bi-pod
<span style="font-style: italic">I just need to put it together!</span>

Has anyone put one of these clones together? I see alot of Mk12 Mod 1 and Mod 0's but none of these probly cuz there is nuthin really special lookin' about them but I had alot of extra parts around and had just bought that barrel so I figured I would put one together. I'll post pics when completed.
I cant really find many pics of this rifle online for besides whats on Wikepedi.

If you have any pics or builds of this rifle post em' if you can I would love to see em'

Re: Army Squad Designated Marksman RifleClone Build

Make sure your WOA DM barrel has M4 ramps,if your upper does,they have 2 versions. The DMR as far as I recall was made without the ramps.

Specifications

* Upper and lower receivers: The rifles are produced by the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) at Fort Benning, Georgia using either new semi-automatic ArmaLite lower receivers or existing Army M16A2 or A4 lower receivers previously supplied by either Colt or Fabrique Nationale de Herstal. All rifles are equipped with a fixed A2 stock and a Knight's Armament Company 2-stage match grade trigger capable of only semi-automatic fire. The upper receivers are flat-top style, but unlike the SAM-R and SPR, they do not have extended feed ramps.

* Barrel: The 1:7 twist, 20-inch (510 mm) barrel from the M16A2 and A4 has been replaced with a stainless steel Douglas Barrels 1:8 twist, 20-inch barrel, with 12 flutes cut into the barrel to reduce weight. The front sight block is installed with 4 set screws instead of two taper pins. The SDM-R retains the A2-style flash hider.

* Sights and optics: The issued optic is a 4x32 Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG) (models TA31F, TA31RCO, TA01, TA01B, or TA01NSN). A Matech Industries 600-meter backup iron sight is also used.

* Handguard: Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0 handguard, with an octagonal aluminum collar locking it to the upper receiver. The handguard provides a free-floating Picatinny rail forend.

* Bipod: A Harris S-L bipod attached to an ARMS #17 throw-lever rail mount is mounted to the underside of the handguard. Since the handguard is free-floating, it does not come into contact with the barrel, and any pressure from the bipod on the handguard will not deflect the barrel.

google image search: Army SDM rifle.

wade through the random m14 pics to find what you are looking for.

frankly, if it werent for the bipod on them you'd think it was a standard M16 with an ACOG. Often our armorers put different colored hand guards on them to distinguish if they weren't painted. Only the Scouts and Snipers with them painted them in our BN, the grunts on regular patrols kept em plain to blend in.

LR, for optics I have the Trijicon TA31F for my SDMR build. The issue ammo is M855 (62 grain green tip), and this scope is calibrated for that ammo w/ 20" barrel.

Now don't want to get your piece side-tracked on a discussion about flutes, but there are 12 deep flutes in the SDMR barrels I've seen. Some respectable smiths have I've discuss the topic with have told me to avoid flutes, due to adverse effects of barrel stress and bore uniformity.

Standard AR rifle extention as pointed out, and the set screw FSB should be "f" marked. You will see it when you look through the optic, which distracts some.

Re the Mk12 SPR builds you mentioned in your post. From accuracy standpoint, all things being equal (WOA SPR 18" upper v. WOA SDMR 20" upper), would not surprised if shorter stiffer 18" SPR barrel was more accurate. Cost to build, SDMR is cheaper than Mk 12 SPR and parts easier to get too. Handling characteristics of the SDMR v SPR, it's lighter and easier to handle v SPR, particularly the heavier Mk12 Md0 version.

Tactically speaking the SDMR blends well and looks just like standard A4 w/ optics and not a "sniper" rifle. For those who never used an ACOG, I personally like it. The red tritium luminated arrow tip (TA31F version) and stadia lines for preset ranges translate to quick, accurate to range, target engagement with extended range capibility (4x magnification), is excellent, particularly over that of standard M4 w/ M68 red dot CCO (or just rack A3 or A4 w/ open sights) -- and especially in the wide open yonder (i.e., like afghanistan)

Good luck on your build and hope you'll post some range reports with that WOA SDMR barrel.

I looked at building one but the rail was impossible to find. We went with a RECCE build instead. This is an excellent build, I'm sure you'll be very happy.

One thing I would recommend, buy an oversized A2 or drill out the center to open in up, then index it with peel washers and red loctite it on. Don't use the crush washer. It's helped with accuracy and cleaning on all my builds.