• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

ARs IN 6.8mm REMINGTON SPC

Edsel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
IMG_3697.jpeg

What make / models would you recommend?

Presently have a 20” LWRCi R.E.P.R. in .308 Winchester which is grossly inaccurate for the money I paid.

Would’ve liked the SIX-8 A5 because it does look kewl, if not for anticipating the same issues above (“You don’t get it - it’s built as a 4 MOA combat rifle!”).

I’m not even sure which ones use proper 6.8mm SPC magazines.

Last edited:
I built my 6.8 with a 12” ARP barrel. I believe they have sold out to another company and I have no experience with their new barrels. My barrels shoots fantastic!

Reactions: 346ci and Edsel
I wouldn't go beyond 16" with the barrel. Do your own research, but that extra 2" will get you almost nothing. I've had a few, traded off a barret rec-7 to a member here, just didnt want it sitting unused in the closet.

Curious what you're going to use it for? It is spectacular on eastern whitetail, and I'm told it kills pigs just as well.

Reactions: 346ci and Edsel
Curious what you're going to use it for? It is spectacular on eastern whitetail, and I'm told it kills pigs just as well.

To be honest, no true intended purpose.

Can’t think of anything beyond paper - punching with a new caliber.

Just want something new that shoots well, I guess - and this one tickled my fancy.

They are 1-1.5 MOA (5 shots). I changed out the trigger to a Geissele SSA-E and it helped. Finding accurate factory ammo is difficult. I think hand loads would produce better results.
Yeah, the barret I had shot some of the hornady loads sub moa, but the other 3 or 4 barrels I had shot 1.5-2.5moa with factory ammo. I loaded up some 95gr TNT's to shoot coyotes with and got a really accurate load in a few barrels. You can imagine what that bullet does to a coyote..

I have been running 90gr TNT and has done good on coyotes but shot some pigs and white tail and wasn’t impressed. Switched to 115 federal fusion and works great. I just placed an order for some 105 cavity back bullets since I’m running low on the 115’s

LWRC uppers and lowers are nicely designed. I would bet the accuracy issues with the 308 are probably from it being a piston vs DI. The lwrc barrels free float very well but you are locked into their handguard. and a completely ambi lower is nice too.

Reactions: Edsel
120s out of the 6.8, or 123s out of the Grendel, the SST is a fantastic performer on game.

Also had good luck with the 105 Cavity Back, 100 Accubond, and 95gr TTSX out of the 6.8.

I'm still running an 18" Ambush Arms (DD) rifle. It's now retired from thermal pig hunting, and is set up for close range daytime deer.

LWRC uppers and lowers are nicely designed. I would bet the accuracy issues with the 308 are probably from it being a piston vs DI. The lwrc barrels free float very well but you are locked into their handguard. and a completely ambi lower is nice too.

I first saw this rifle on an online review by who I think was Dick Metcalf (?).

It was unusual in that the rifle also had a Trijicon TARS on it.

Couldn't find it online anymore.

EDIT: It was on Guns & Ammo, with the article's title being "Most Refined Battle Rifle? LWRCI REPR Review." It was indeed written by Dick Metcalf.

lwrc-r-e-p-r-gas-port-1-jpg.3862111

This was from the time when the R.E.P.R. gas ports still had an "off" setting (mine only has "normal" and "suppressed").

That review might have been where this image came from, originally.

Last edited:
This is so weird.

I simply cannot find that review of the LWRCi REPR with Dick Metcalf anywhere.

As a matter of fact, reverse - searching using images have come up blank.

It's almost like his entire online presence was purged.

I agree, it’s a bummer it didn’t take off. I think it all comes down to marketing, hype, and the name. Oh and the fact that it was neutered by the spec 1 and 2 chamber so factory ammo has to be de tuned to work in all guns.

That is my understanding. Something with the first gen having a short or tight freebore that raised pressure. What ever they did on the 2nd gen allowed higher velocity/pressure. But since both chamber the same ammo the factory ammo has to load to the worst chamber to keep it safe in all guns.

Kinda the same reason you won’t find factory 223 ammo with bullets seated long to allow max performance. Most factory ammo is loaded to allow it to fit in AR mags which neuters it.

@Constructor is the H everyone refers to, FYI. Big 6.8 dude.

That guy reached out to me when I was having an issue with my Criterion barrel (gas port size and they weren't helping). He walked me through the easy process of opening up my port myself, and that rifle has been a hammer ever since. FWIW my barrel was accurate...it just had a .068 port for a rifle-length gas on an 18", .308 barrel.

Big fan of the dude.

Damn.

I can’t help but drool over the looks of that (already assumed to be grossly inaccurate) LWRCi.

Buying one will be like welcoming another Kalashnikov, only that there’s no cheap blaster ammunition to take for granted.

Giving in will sink a number of projects!…