• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Athlon Ares Spotting Scope

Wiley Coyyote

Canis latrans
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2013
Wanted to comment on the Ares 15-45 x 65 spotting scope I received yesterday. This compact little scope is nothing short of great in my opinion. Statistics are 43 oz with 31/2" by 91/2" and a field of view of 171 to 81 feet at 1000 yards. The eye relief is very forgiving. Controls for changing magnification or focus are silky smooth. The angled eyepiece scope can be rotated so a shooter in the prone position and a low tripod can review his targets easily.

Now we get to the good part - the ED glass. I took it out to look at old 30 cal dings on steel and this scope really performed. Was able to easily see dings in my 1315 yard target! I have previously used a Cronus and a friend's Swaro to spot these distant dings, but I have to say even though the Ares is limited to 45X as compared to the 60X of the other two it compares extremely favorably. Because of the small size and lighter weight of this package I give the edge to the Ares. I am sure splashes on rock and dirt will be easily visible out to our 1500 yard target when I get a chance to have someone spot some shots. Will update this post when we shoot some of the longer distances.

The small size, reasonable weight and good eye relief would make this a ideal spotter for hunting. Have glassed some deer on our ranch but it is not the time of year obviously to see how far away you can evaluate antlers.

At around $600 this is a real bargain, The only drawback I see is it has no reticle. But the best reticle in the world is of no help at long distance if the glass is not adequate. If you are looking for a really nice spotter for a very reasonable price you should give the Ares 15 -45 a serious look.

Last edited:
Used the scope this morning and the 45X with this quality of glass made spotting of 300 win mag steel impacts easy at 1550 yards! Neighbor shot out to 1200yds with his 6.5 Creedmore and these impacts were also very visible. This is a great scope for the $600 price.

Did compare the scope side by side to the Athlon top of the line Cronus also set at 45X. Resolution with the Cronus was to both of us a tiny bit better, but this scope is bigger, heavier and costs twice as much as the Ares. The Ares is my hands down choice for spotting steel and hunting.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review! I have one of their Talos BTR 1-4s on my service rifle upper and think it's an amazing quality scope considering the low price.

Any idea how the Ares compares to something like a Kowa? I have my eyes set on a Kowa 82SV with the 25x long eye relief eyepiece from Creedmoor Sports that is going for ~$800.

I have not looked thru a Kowa so cannot make a comparison. A couple of weeks ago three of us were looking at 30 cal hits on the 1550 steel using a Optolyth, a Swaro and the Cronus. Our opinion was the Optolyth did not show the hits but both the Swaro and the Cronus did and we were hard pressed to declare an obvious winner between the two. Today I looked at hits at 1550 yds with the same Cronus and the Ares and as I mentioned both showed the hits easily with a bit of an edge to the Cronus. So that is the best I can give you since I cannot do a side by side with Kowa.

I will have to say when I first looked through the Ares the quality of the glass at that price point absolutely blew me away. Still am impressed each time I use the scope, and it is my go to spotter, over a friend's Cronus and my old Optolyth 100.

Athlon spotters are made by Chinese OEM manufacturer BOSMA that is one of the best Chinese spotter and binocular manufactuers ,interesting is that Athlon did not invest in to having own 'looks' instead just labeled off the shelf spotters.

This past 3 or 4 years optic made in China have really raised their Game, I have 2 pairs of Leupold binoculars One made in China and the other made in Japan, The pair made in China are faultless and are as good as any EU models out there,

John.