• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk AW Magazines

RoverDave

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2006
ND
www.uzitalk.com
I'm building my first PRS gun and thinking about getting an MPA BA Competition chassis. Looks like they only take AICS magazines and I'm wondering what people think about how beneficial it is to run AW mags. (Assuming of course that I get an action that's compatible with AW mags.) Will I be missing much to build a gun that won't take AW mags?

That's what I use on a Stiller Tac30AW action, and over the course of four matches I had one user caused double feed and one case of the bolt over riding the cartridge while I was in a awkward position and had the mag jammed into an obstacle. prior to the change to the chassis I used a manners stock with the stiller DBM with the AW mags for about 3 years and they do require fitting to function.
4Rmmw7I.jpg

The Stiller TAC30AW works great if set up correctly. The chassis system you use might need modification. Accurate Ordnance was one of the first to offer such chassis mods in an effort to use the AW mags with the TAC30AW. My particular chassis was the AICS AX. I will refer you to Woody at Accurate Ordnance for clarification on what they do as far as the mod. It is fairly simple, and it works. I had zero issues with mine using the AW magazines chambered in 6.5 x 47.

I spec'd the AW mod for my build due to the significant difference in length between the AICS and AW magazines. It is just another benefit to your system when you don't have a magazine in the way.

Reactions: Tweedycarcass23jonb
I've seen several people echo Morgan's comment above, but never really understood why, until Frank explained it on a recent podcast episode - basically, on actions where the third lug protrudes downard, the acts to help strips rounds from the mag. Two lug actions, and some three lug actions don't have that benefit.

I have a Stiller TAC30AW, and Surgeon bottom metal in a Manners T4A, and am running AW mags. 4 of my mags run - so far - without issue. One of them has had some bolt-over issues. I was told a way to tweak the spring to help prevent the bolt over stuff, and it seems to help, although it's a little finicky to get right. I may end up picking up a couple of ARC mags to use for matches, just to be on the safe side.

I've been running AW mags with my factory 700 that sits in a manners w/ mini chassis for years. Accurate Ordnance did the work and it has ran flawless every time. I've tried to duplicate issues guys have had here over the years without success. The only time I had issues was when for a short time I wanted to use a AI stock, ironic, and I experienced the bolt over brass issue after 4-5 rounds. The stock however was not modified like my mini chassis. My suspicion most of the issues guys are experiencing I'd say is too much rail underneath was removed thus allowing the rounds to come loose if the magazine was inserted too hard. Usually seen in a match or, like the AI stock I had, the mag release latch did not have any weld material added to it to help lift the mag up a very small amount to prevent the bolt from riding over the brass. Marc at AO told me he had to add 0.005in of weld material to get it to feed properly which is why my manners feeds perfect every time and the AI didn't.

Last edited:
yes, you can get any of them setup to run if you know what youre doing and looking for...the issue is lots of guys like swapping chassis and parts around and think its all plug and play because it says "fits rem700 short action" and its not like that...then they have issues

yes, you can get any of them setup to run if you know what youre doing and looking for...the issue is lots of guys like swapping chassis and parts around and think its all plug and play because it says "fits rem700 short action" and its not like that...then they have issues

Yep, very true. Things aren't just as straight forward as it may seem. I knew I'd probably have an issue when I switched to the AI stock and when it became apparent I knew what I would have to do to fix it. I never did as I just didn't find the stock as comfortable to get behind as the manners so I sold it.

I use AWs in a Kelbly Atlas Tactical in a KMW stock. Despite having AW cuts, the mags would not lock in place. I had to file a half moon cut into the front edge of each mag to clear the round bottom of the action (I used the AICS mag as a pattern). I ran into a feeding issue while working the bolt fast, and this was remedied by minor blending and polishing of the feed ramp. Been running flawless since.

I Run a Defiance action with MPA BA comp. chassis. I ran AICS mags an have the occasional problem where it wont strip a round, or if there is anything I mean anything touching the mag it will NOT cycle the bolt.

Tried a guys AW mag the other day fed flawlessly every time, didn't matter if I was pulling back on the mag or what it I did it ran. I didn't tune anything I just loaded an shot. I heard the same thing "2 lug won't run a AW mag", "they gotta be setup" Well my 2 lugger runs AW mags with no issues, an no tuning just load the mag an shoot. (must have a unicorn)

So now I'm looking for AW mags.

So for your questions
As far as Aw mags working in that chassis they will work.
And are they beneficial? I would have said slightly maybe at the end of last year, but after last weekend an seeing how a stage was set up to shoot I would say yes.

On a side note I have been looking at going with a 3 lug. 1 for a shorter throw an 2 for a quick change barrel system.

I Run a Defiance action with MPA BA comp. chassis. I ran AICS mags an have the occasional problem where it wont strip a round, or if there is anything I mean anything touching the mag it will NOT cycle the bolt.

Tried a guys AW mag the other day fed flawlessly every time, didn't matter if I was pulling back on the mag or what it I did it ran. I didn't tune anything I just loaded an shot. I heard the same thing "2 lug won't run a AW mag", "they gotta be setup" Well my 2 lugger runs AW mags with no issues, an no tuning just load the mag an shoot. (must have a unicorn)

So now I'm looking for AW mags.

So for your questions
As far as Aw mags working in that chassis they will work.
And are they beneficial? I would have said slightly maybe at the end of last year, but after last weekend an seeing how a stage was set up to shoot I would say yes.

On a side note I have been looking at going with a 3 lug. 1 for a shorter throw an 2 for a quick change barrel system.

and thats the issue...lots of rifles run correctly with AICS mags...my rifles can run AICS mags with pressure on them in any direction because theyre setup correctly to do so, but they wont run with AWs without tweaking the rifle...yours was the opposite...you didnt have to do any tweaking with AWs, because it wasnt correct for AICS in the first place and it happened to work out with AWs

My right hand has little strength and even less dexterity, but I can still load AICS mags, just not very fast. My first bolt gun was a Stiller tac 30, so no AW cuts. I had a rifle built around a Bighorn TL3 and it runs the AW mags perfect so far, and silky smooth. Only about 140 rounds through it so far, and all off the bench, so no stress involved, but so far so good. I was wanting the new Curtis Custom Vector, but since I'm a lefty, not by choice, and I found a deal on a lefty TL3 I went in that direction.
Looking forward to my next range trip with AW mags, so easy to load, and the rounds strip so effortlessly. Hopefully it continues to run the way it is.
I don't see why it would hurt to have the AW cut action, if AW mags work, that's great, if not there are always AI and ARC mags.

Scott

i think anyone making an action should design it to run AW mags...they feed smoother when set up correctly and the mag has a smaller footprint...everyone clinging to that rem700 footprint/pattern though

Tried AWs with a Bighorn, jammed, went back to regular AICS mags, no problems.

Maybe I'll try another one with the new stock at some point. We'll see.

The AW should work you may need to tune the feed lips an follower spring. I had a defiance in that feed AW’s with no tuning what so ever switched to a big horn had nothing but issues till I spent sometime tuning the feed lips.

Once that was squared away I had a follower issue (spring was the issue) that had to be corrected now the magazine feeds 100% so far. About 40rnds. Not much but will be running under match conditions this week. In prep for the PRS match this weekend.

I got lucky with one action not needing tuning. The other took extensive amount to get to run. Is it worth it I think so. AW’s when properly tuned feed so much smother IMHO. Plus I like I can load a mag through the top. (If I have a miss feed I can grab a spare round from my SAP holder an just push it in on top on my next positional move since I have done broke my
Position on the rifle. Can’t do that with AICS.) plus there is other added benefits.

Are they more hassle yes they can be an most frequently are. Are they worth it? Depends upon the user an his end game. I believe they are. However YMMV.

Shifty

My Deviant Elite runs with AW mags no problem. I did the additional complicated thing of running a 6mmBR. I got an HRD Gear kit and it is GTG, a little stiff with a full mag but nothing crazy.

The only time I have an issue is when I don't seat the mag - I think I will take the blame on that one.

So with my Bighorn TL3 runs fine with the factory Hornaday 147 ELDM ammo, but it didn't feed the Hornaday American gunner ammo as good. Interestingly enough, the American Gunner ammo matched up with my drops for the 147 ELDM, hitting the 1moa targets out to 500 yards.
Seeing that some tune their AW mags to run, I'll probably go with another TL3 when I replace a Tac30 action.

Scott