awsm with 1:11 twist 300 grain scenar

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
I really want to push my AW to use the 300 grain pills.

I've loaded with retumbo 93gn and loaded the round to mag length getting 2800 fps. Had good results at 300 and 700m

At 100m it shoots a 1 inch group ( not as accurate as the 250 gr scenars).

Should I try to push it more towards the max load to get more velocity ( it 93.5gn or 94)

Also please tell me your experiences with the 1:11 and 300gr projectiles at transonic distances.

thanks

The 300s are really at the edge of what's viable in a .338LM. For ELR shooting they're best suited to long barrels with <1:10 twist, and while this doesn't mean a 1:10 is out of the question, I would be very hesitant to shoot them in your 1:11. The 250s are a better fit but if you want more mass you might try the Hornady 285s as a "split the difference" option.

Well, if that's your problem then it's time to work on fundamentals. I was just trying to make a point about the twist rate being a key factor for most people when shooting 300s, unlike any of the other 338 bullets.

The target tells you what to use. If you can manage the recoil and torque of the 300's then shoot them. At extreme distance they beat the 250's. Also everything's a compromise. As far as the transonic zone. For any bullet designed for long range use stability, Sg , increases as velocity decreases.