AXMC Fixed Stock

AIfanboy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2020
Hi All,

Thinking of upgrading my AT to an AXMC, just wondering if the bolt can still be swapped without folding the stock? I'm from Australia and the folding stock's banned in the state I'm in. Was planning to get the 308 conversion kit for the AXMC and it's gonna be a deal breaker if I can't do the swap. Appreciate if someone can advise please. Thanks

You can just barely get the bolt out of an AXSA without folding the stock, but I'm 95% sure the longer AXMC bolt can't be removed without folding the stock. I have both and I usually don't fold the stock to remove the bolt from my short action AXSA but I always slightly fold the stock to remove the bolt from my AXMC.

I say 95% sure because I'm not at home right now to pull the AXMC out and confirm with 100% certainty that the bolt will not come out without folding the stock, but I could do so later today. Maybe someone else here has their AXMC handy and can verify.

The missing upper leg under the cheek rest on the butt stock of the AXSR (compared to an AXMC) would appear to let you remove the bolt without folding the stock, but I've never handled an AXSR and can't comment. I suppose you could modify an AXMC butt stock in a similar manner if needed by removing the top leg to allow for bolt removal without folding the stock; the bottom leg of the butt stock appears to be plenty strong by itself to withstand recoil and handling, but you will lose a flush cup doing so.

You can just barely get the bolt out of an AXSA without folding the stock, but I'm 95% sure the longer AXMC bolt can't be removed without folding the stock. I have both and I usually don't fold the stock to remove the bolt from my short action AXSA but I always slightly fold the stock to remove the bolt from my AXMC.

I say 95% sure because I'm not at home right now to pull the AXMC out and confirm with 100% certainty that the bolt will not come out without folding the stock, but I could do so later today. Maybe someone else here has their AXMC handy and can verify.

The missing upper leg under the cheek rest on the butt stock of the AXSR (compared to an AXMC) would appear to let you remove the bolt without folding the stock, but I've never handled an AXSR and can't comment. I suppose you could modify an AXMC butt stock in a similar manner if needed by removing the top leg to allow for bolt removal without folding the stock; the bottom leg of the butt stock appears to be plenty strong by itself to withstand recoil and handling, but you will lose a flush cup doing so.
Cheers for the reply, really appreciate it! Sounds like a no go for my plan. Looks like AXSR would be the only option which I'm not a big fan of.

I have a fixed AXMC. You raise the cheek piece as high as it goes and the bolt slides under it to be removed. Nothing to worry about.

I also have the 308 conversation kit and it works flawlessly.

Reactions: AIfanboy
I have a fixed AXMC. You raise the cheek piece as high as it goes and the bolt slides under it to be removed. Nothing to worry about.

I also have the 308 conversation kit and it works flawlessly.

I forgot to test my AXMC when I got home last night, but I just pulled it out of the safe and you are 100% correct. On the AXMC you can't remove bolt with the stock in the open position unless you raise the cheekrest all the way up, and after you raise the cheekrest all the way up while the bolt just barely clears the upper angled surface of the buttstock it does indeed come right out.

I can remove the bolts on my AX308s without folding the stock or raising the cheekrest from my usual cheekrest position which is what was messing with my memory. On my AXMC the bolt hits the cheekrest, so I just slightly fold the stock to remove the bolt since I have that option; I never tried raising the cheekrest all the way up to remove the bolt.

AI obviously planned ahead so users in regions with restrictions on folding stocks could remove the bolt, so OP is indeed good to go.

I suppose the other question which I didn't check is can you fixed stock owners get a cleaning rod down the action if you remove the cheekrest and buttpad? Or is the buttstock structure high enough to block a straight shot with the cleaning rod? That would be a huge inconvenience if you can't get a straight shot to the action with the stock fixed.

Reactions: AIfanboy
I forgot to test my AXMC when I got home last night, but I just pulled it out of the safe and you are 100% correct. On the AXMC you can't remove bolt with the stock in the open position unless you raise the cheekrest all the way up, and after you raise the cheekrest all the way up while the bolt just barely clears the upper angled surface of the buttstock it does indeed come right out.

I can remove the bolts on my AX308s without folding the stock or raising the cheekrest from my usual cheekrest position which is what was messing with my memory. On my AXMC the bolt hits the cheekrest, so I just slightly fold the stock to remove the bolt since I have that option; I never tried raising the cheekrest all the way up to remove the bolt.

AI obviously planned ahead so users in regions with restrictions on folding stocks could remove the bolt, so OP is indeed good to go.

I suppose the other question which I didn't check is can you fixed stock owners get a cleaning rod down the action if you remove the cheekrest and buttpad? Or is the buttstock structure high enough to block a straight shot with the cleaning rod? That would be a huge inconvenience if you can't get a straight shot to the action with the stock fixed.
I guess I'll have to remove the barrel to clean it which indeed very inconvenience.

I guess I'll have to remove the barrel to clean it which indeed very inconvenience.

Maybe @SSW7 will chime back in how he cleans his fixed stock AXMC. I've never tried, but maybe it's like a fixed stock AW/AT/AE where once you remove the butt pad and cheek rest the cleaning rod will clear the buttstock.