• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

B14r accuracy issue

Golfnut721

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Bloomington Indiana
So any b14r experts out there.

Ammo Sk standard+

The small group is 15 shots from 50. The big group is 5 shots from 100.

Did this multiple times. Samar results.

Ammo? Barrel?
2A487441-FEEC-40D2-BC43-33A691C524FA.jpeg
B2BAEED0-1A06-40E2-9FFF-28144D928682.jpeg

Reactions: obx22
There is another variable that you're not mentioning.
Edit: Actually 3 variables.
Ammo, wind and shooter.

Not saying that you're a bad shooter but differences in shooting position are magnified as the distance increases.
Were you shooting over wind flags?
Unless you were shooting indoors or had flags the whole way down you can't say for sure what is happening.

My targets from Sunday were similar at both those distances.
I know my shooting fell apart after shooting 2 days straight and for 7 hours on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golfnut721
The vertical is well within what SK Std + can do, usually is better but it happens, even your 50 yard group shows it unless you know you pulled that one high. The horizontal looks like 3-4 MPH of wind to me. Perhaps your pushing with your cheek and not realizing it.

Try a smaller target like the intersections of the grids if you can make those out at 100.

Reactions: Golfnut721
Maybe chronograph it, in an la101 I find sk (rifle match-pistol match and magazine all about the same) shoots awesome at 25-50m but loses out past that, as it's only doing 860fps

Mine only had a low amount of rounds on it. But noticed things got more consistent on target with more rounds. Particularly more rounds of the same ammo. Like the barrel needs seasoning so to speak.

So don’t clean and put some rounds through it before coming to conclusions. Along with testing different kinds and lots of ammo

Along with testing different kinds and lots of ammo
Bingo! If you give up after trying one type and lot of ammo then rimfire is not for you. LOL You will need to try different types and lots of ammo to see what it likes. Also you need to put some rounds down the barrel. Clean the chamber only. When changing ammo brand put 15-20 rounds through to recoat with different lube before shooting for accuracy.

Bingo! If you give up after trying one type and lot of ammo then rimfire is not for you. LOL You will need to try different types and lots of ammo to see what it likes. Also you need to put some rounds down the barrel. Clean the chamber only. When changing ammo brand put 15-20 rounds through to recoat with different lube before shooting for accuracy.
I never used good .22 ammo until I got my B14R. Just CCI or mostly cheap Wally World federal

Grabbed a box of SK long range and felt like someone threw a load on the ammo. Didn’t realize they lubed ammo like that. Immediately knew I entered a new world of learning

These groups look drastically different until I ran them through ballistic x and realized the 50yd group was just over 1 MOA (1.041) and the 100yd group was a little over 1.5 MOA (1.549). Not as much difference as you would initially think. I'm with the other guys, this probably isn't your 100yd go to ammo. Try some different ammo. I experienced this situation with my first Bergara, frustrated at the not so impressive groups. Then I tried SKLRM. Whew! It made a huge difference.

Reactions: Dstoenner
The rule of thumb on 22 LR is, what ever your group is at a given distance, if you double it the group will grow by 3x not 2x as centerfire would.

The 50 yard group was about 1/2 inch and the 100 group is 1.5. Both groups are more vertical than horizontal so if there was wind it looks to be pretty consistent.

The post above gives the real numbers and jives with the rule of thumb.

David

You have fliers in both groups.
How many rounds of that ammo since your last cleaning?

Do you test with a chronograph to know what is you and what is ammo?

Have you tested at any other distance or on any other styles of targets?

Have you attempted any action screw torque testing?

Which B14-R model do you have, and is the thread protector snug?

There are so many things to consider…..

Chrono the ammo. Those are pretty typical results with SK+ in my experience. I mainly shoot SK LRM but use SK+ for seasoning and practice. Take into account that at 100 yards the difference on POI for an ammunition extreme spread of 30 fps is plus or minus 0.1 MIL at 100 yards. I can almost guarentee you that SK+ will be greater, so that taken into consideration you're actually pretty good at right around MOA. Typically I would use SK+ in positional practice at 100 yards with a 2 inch circle hanging target.