back up iron sights ??

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
any one run back up iron sights on their dmr rifles ?

For a while i have though about putting a 1200 meter sight and an open sight on my rifle, but I am sitting on the fence and though some one could throw their opinions my way

Re: back up iron sights ??

Why dont you decide for yourself, it shouldn't matter what others do... Like seriously WTF, are all your posts like this because Ive seen more then one idiotic post like this from you.

I did, but have since taken them off to save weight. I don't have buis on my bolt guns. So why the need on precision ar.s? I think a lot of folks just look for any reason to add shift to their ar. I have seen ars that more resemble swiss army knives vs a usable weapon. Are you gonna use the buis? Prolly not...so why bother?

James,

The problems you are going to run into with your particular rifle (I'm assuming its your MSG90 clone) and mounting any form of irons are that: 1) there are NO rail mounting points for traditional BUIS sights like the Troy, GG&G, PRI, ARMS, etc., etc. which are found 99.9% of the time on AR type rifles and variants; and 2) to mount any HK sights designed to work with your rifle (the 1,200M rear...any version of it...or otherwise) will require some serious machining work (especially the front sight mount, but both sights actually). It all comes down to what you plan on doing with the rifle and with the irons. I can tell you that when I was building/having mine built, I mulled over this decision and ultimately decided that I wanted the 1,200M rear sight and front sight post...not because I necessarily needed them, but because I wanted them. It was DAMNED expensive just to purchase the sights themselves, then I had ORF doing the machine work to install them. I have used them a handful of times and they are very accurate and its nice to know that they are there if I need them...but it has been a couple years since I last used them. What I'm saying is that from a pure Cost/Benefit standpoint...I don't think you will get your money's worth out of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">James,

The problems you are going to run into with your particular rifle (I'm assuming its your MSG90 clone) and mounting any form of irons are that: 1) there are NO rail mounting points for traditional BUIS sights like the Troy, GG&G, PRI, ARMS, etc., etc. which are found 99.9% of the time on AR type rifles and variants; and 2) to mount any HK sights designed to work with your rifle (the 1,200M rear...any version of it...or otherwise) will require some serious machining work (especially the front sight mount, but both sights actually). It all comes down to what you plan on doing with the rifle and with the irons. I can tell you that when I was building/having mine built, I mulled over this decision and ultimately decided that I wanted the 1,200M rear sight and front sight post...not because I necessarily needed them, but because I wanted them. It was DAMNED expensive just to purchase the sights themselves, then I had ORF doing the machine work to install them. I have used them a handful of times and they are very accurate and its nice to know that they are there if I need them...but it has been a couple years since I last used them. What I'm saying is that from a pure Cost/Benefit standpoint...I don't think you will get your money's worth out of them. </div></div>

iam in the same place, kicking it around, I can see where they would come in handy but like the forward assist i put on their I dont think i would really ever need to use them. But on the other hand i would rather have and not need then to need and not have, but that rear sight is close to 400 bucks

I took the rear sight base off a long time ago because i just wanted a sole precision gun, how ever my rifle has been and will be down for some time until i get money for a new scope, I could still be getting trigger time with iron sights

Well then let me put it another way...

1) New (or like new) 1,200M rear sight (4th Gen)...$400 (delivered); and

2) New (or like new) front sight tower assembly...$40 (delivered).

So before you even start with modifying the rifle to make the front tower and rear 1200M sight assemblies fit, then actual installation, timing of the front sight, etc., you are out almost $450. If you do the work yourself, you can save money, but bet on a wait time for an HK armorer/smith to do the work and a price of around $150 or so for the work itself, plus shipping your rifle back and forth which is never cheap. Now ask yourself...how much are you going to spend on new optics for this same rifle after which you will not likely use the irons ever again (or only on extremely rare occassions)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why dont you decide for yourself, it shouldn't matter what others do... Like seriously WTF, are all your posts like this because Ive seen more then one idiotic post like this from you. </div></div>
I agree, how does one get so many post by asking so many questions? Your the 1000 plus post newb.
Why don't you figure out what you like. Figure shit out for yourself on some stuff. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place to ask for help but you ask even if you don't even give a shit about the answer. I think Outsy hit the mark when he asked if had any friends because I agree that you come on here just for someone to talk to. It is sad more than anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what brand TP is everyone else using to wipe their ass? </div></div>
I have been using that new Tactical stuff I picked up from Black_UMP in the for sale section, why what do you use
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what brand TP is everyone else using to wipe their ass? </div></div>
I have been using that new Tactical stuff I picked up from Black_UMP in the for sale section, why what do you use
smile.gif
</div></div>

I'm using the John Wayne variety at the moment, it's rough, tough and dont take shit from nobody. Just curious as to others out there, what brands chaff the cornhole the least, which ones make my balloon knot smell rosey fresh, and if any are medicated to clear up this massive roid I got goin on

I like to use a trick my grandpa always said they used during "the war" (he never served).

You fold one single square of TP in half, then in half again, to make a smaller square. Tear off just the tip of one corner, then open it back up. You slip your index finger through that hole, and just keep finger swiping until all debris is clear. Once finished, use the TP square to slide all that muck off your finger. Most important part, use the leftover TP from tearing the hole to clean out underneath your fingernail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I wipe my ass with a rake? What do you guys think?
</div></div>

Yes, yes you should do that.

As for myself I prefer mango leaves. When I'm done I throw them onto the compost pile. It makes the world a better place.

As to the original post, it seems like a lot of money for a sight you may rarely use. IMHO. Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what brand TP is everyone else using to wipe their ass? </div></div>

My irons are only good to 1k. I need a set that goes to 11.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what brand TP is everyone else using to wipe their ass? </div></div>

My irons are only good to 1k. I need a set that goes to 11. </div></div>

I am only good to 800.

2h7nf6f.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why dont you decide for yourself, it shouldn't matter what others do... Like seriously WTF, are all your posts like this because Ive seen more then one idiotic post like this from you. </div></div>
I agree, how does one get so many post by asking so many questions? Your the 1000 plus post newb.
Why don't you figure out what you like. Figure shit out for yourself on some stuff. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place to ask for help but you ask even if you don't even give a shit about the answer. I think Outsy hit the mark when he asked if had any friends because I agree that you come on here just for someone to talk to. It is sad more than anything. </div></div>

tell me about it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's absolutely classic. On the bright side, at least you know 800's the limit. That ought to make your dope cards a lot shorter. </div></div>

i dout i could even get to 5 to be honest with you, i went to 300 once and was pissing my pants excited about it

By golly, I have the PRI flip up on gas block and an ARMS on back on my .22LR MK12; I even practice stripping off the 3.5-10 optic (ARMS lever lock rings) in case the optic goes down when zombie squirrels overrun the compound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By golly, I have the PRI flip up on gas block and an ARMS on back on my .22LR MK12; I even practice stripping off the 3.5-10 optic (ARMS lever lock rings) in case the optic goes down when zombie squirrels overrun the compound. </div></div>

practice makes perfect right ?

your threads make me wanna hit myself in the head with a tack hammer. Im a pretty patient guy and always willing to help but your pushing it...

go figure it out! Its half the fun for fucks sake.

I agree. You are the only one that can decide what you need. I don't know your setup, but if there is room for irons with your scope, I would use them. I think $400 is extremely expensive. Why would you need irons good to 1200 if they are only backup sights? Keep in mind that if your optics go down in the field and you don't have backups, you don't have any operational sights!!!!