• 12 Hours Left: Use code HIDE40 to get 40% off subscriptions

You've got until midnight to get 40% off. Pick your plan below!

Subscribe

Backpack/Rifle Scabbard for Hunting? (new title)

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
I'm looking for a way to pack my rifle in and out of rugged terrain for hunting season (hopefully with a rather large load of meat on the way out
grin.gif
)

In the past, I've lashed my rifle to my pack, which is great for carrying, not so great if I want to get to it in a hurry.

The Gunslinger and Gunslinger II look to be interesting offerings, but the Kifaru Gunbearer can be used on the pack of your choice, so size, loadbearing, etc. are not locked in.

Kifaru Gunbearer:

https://kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

I'd really appreciate hearing from any of you that have used either (preferably both) of these products and your opinions about which would be superior for an epic elk hunt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Re: Eberlestock Gunslinger or Kifaru Gunbearer

Although I really like my GS pack, it really isn't sized or setup well for packing meat. Even if you bone everything out there isn't enough capacity. I've used it in conjunction with a pack frame but you can't really use the gun sleeve for carrying your rifle. I've packed four caribou quarters at one time on the GS and although it worked I had to carry my rifle and it was a pretty miserable four miles. I'd look at some of the larger packs from eberlestock that can carry an entire quarter inside them or a rifle boot that attaches to a pack frame if packing meat is a distinct possibility. Good luck with your hunt.

Yeah,

That was one of my concerns about the GS. It looks like it would be great for comps, but didn't look very big for packing meat.

The Gunbearer is cheap enough, I think I'll just get one and try it on my external frame pack. I can carry 100 lbs. on it (Well, OK... it can support 100 lbs.
grin.gif
)

Thanks for the input.

John

If you are interested in eberlestock talk to ceylonc, I have bought 2 packs from him and he answered all my questions and is great to deal with. GS I would think would be too small for what you need, maybe look at the G4 I am really impressed with mine. Good luck.

The g2 would be a little too small for your application. Decent for comps
though if they let you keep the rifle muzzle up. If muzzle down only?
the center of gravity is off and it feels like the rifle is trying to knock
you over the whole match. That's my experience atleast with AI
type rifles.

I like the idea of the gunbearer, but just thinking about having my USO scope right underneath my armpit in between my bicep and ribs...ouch...especially for any length of time. But that's my opinion looking at the pictures on the site...not from experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If muzzle down only?
the center of gravity is off and it feels like the rifle is trying to knock
you over the whole match. That's my experience atleast with AI
type rifles. </div></div>

That's good to know. Good feedback...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of the gunbearer, but just thinking about having my USO scope right underneath my armpit in between my bicep and ribs...ouch...especially for any length of time. But that's my opinion looking at the pictures on the site...not from experience. </div></div>

Yeah, I wondered about that too. When I wear a sidearm on my belt (I much prefer a thigh rig) my shoulder gets tired from holding my arm off my pistol. I'd think the same thing might happen with the gunbearer, not to mention what you pointed out. I have a Vortex Razor... not exactly a streamlined lightweight hunting scope. That thing would probably beat the tar out of me in a few hours.
grin.gif

I like the scabbard idea, I'm just not sure how fast it would be to get to your rifle while hiking with it on your back, if you did run into game. Any experience? Can you get to your rifle with it on your back, or do you have to drop pack?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yeah, I wondered about that too. When I wear a sidearm on my belt (I much prefer a thigh rig) my shoulder gets tired from holding my arm off my pistol. I'd think the same thing might happen with the gunbearer, not to mention what you pointed out. I have a Vortex Razor... not exactly a streamlined lightweight hunting scope. That thing would probably beat the tar out of me in a few hours.
grin.gif

I like the scabbard idea, I'm just not sure how fast it would be to get to your rifle while hiking with it on your back, if you did run into game. Any experience? Can you get to your rifle with it on your back, or do you have to drop pack?

John </div></div>

It can be done, but it takes some practice. I can do it, but I would just rather take the pack off and then take the rifle out. Just seems safer to me. I haven't run into the issue of needing to do a quick draw from the scabbard though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700p</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't run into the issue of needing to do a quick draw from the scabbard though. </div></div>

Neither have I. I'm wondering if it's not worth the compromise for everything else for that remote possibility.

Here's the direction I'm starting to think...

http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm

I was actually thinking of this sort of thing today while cleaning my shop. I was thinking more along the lines of a pack frame with modular attachments (including a scabbard) so you could configure it to meet your needs and still pack a lot of meat out.

Anybody have any experience with the Just One?

John

ETA: <span style="font-weight: bold">Since we've gravitated away from the original subject, I've changed the thread title. What I'm looking for is a pack that I can carry my rifle and stuff in over fairly rugged terrain and then pack the meat back out with.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm

Anybody have any experience with the Just One?

ETA: <span style="font-weight: bold">Since we've gravitated away from the original subject, I've changed the thread title. What I'm looking for is a pack that I can carry my rifle and stuff in over fairly rugged terrain and then pack the meat back out with.</span> </div></div>

Eberlestock builds a pack for you but I do have a question or two...

First, what kind of rifle setup are you carrying? This has to do with whether you're carrying a mountain type rifle that uses a standard stock & a scope with standard turrets & a front objective under 50mm. IF this is the case then the scabbard from the J107 Dragonfly & J34 Just One will be fine. HOWEVER, if you're hunting with an AR, tactical rig, and/or large scope with large exposed turrets, then you're going to have problems with the rifle & scope setup being too big for the scabbard. The one exception here is the <span style="font-style: italic">J107</span>M model pack which incorporates the layout & function of the standard J107 Dragonfly WITH a wide mouth scabbard that will accomodate the larger rifle cross section.

Second question has to do with the specific hunting application(s). Are you going to be carrying overnight camping, food & survival gear in the pack along with whatever meat you harvest or is this merely a meat pack with scabbard? If it is the former then you're going to want as much capacity as possible & I'd steer you away from the J34 Just One. Like others have mentioned, the Gunslinger II does better if you keep the tote weight under 80lbs. It can handle heavy loads but it isn't going to carry as comfortably as one of their larger packs.

We'll get this figured out. One thing with Eberlestock packs is that they are very versitile & each pack can do a lot of different jobs well. However, there are some applications to which some of their packs have huge advantages over others in the lineup. Once you determine exactly what you need the pack to do, then we'll match the pack with the application.

Hope this helps.
Ceylon

Ceylon,

Thanks for chiming in... I was going to PM you if this didn't pick up, but figured other guys might be going through the same thing.

Question #1. Bolt rifle with Manners T2 stock, Harris bipod and Vortex Razor with exposed knobs. Not sleek, streamlined or light.

Question #2. 95% day hunts from base camp. Need to be able to pack the minimum; spotting scope, food, water, rain stuff, binos, range finder, first aid kit, and then have enough room to pack out a mule deer or a couple quarters of elk. There's no way I can carry an entire elk,even boned out. Depending on the terrain, it might be 1 quarter at a time.

I appreciate your understanding about how overwhelming it can be to look at a website and ask, "Hmmm, wonder which one I *won't* sell right after hunting season?" I really don't want to do this three times.

John

ETA: That J107M looks very interesting...

I hope others will feel free to chime in but here is my $.02...

Go with the J107M.

Reasoning:
1) The scabbard will accomodate your rifle rig with no problems;
2) Pack capacity can be compressed for "packing in" and expanded up to 7,900 cubic inches (if you include the J2SD Spike Camp Duffle accessory) for packing out your gear + meat;
3) Designed to comfortable carry & support heavy loads;

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Yet again, Ceylon is a wealth of knowledge. Great guy on top of that, I would get it from him if I were you. J107M would be the pack of choice if I was on a hunt and needed to pack out some meat.

I have had lots and lots and lots of packs for hunting. This is the first season i am heading into without looking for another pack. Mystery Ranch is where its at for me. I do like the Eb-stock packs, but they are better for comps than hunting IMO. Its good in theory to have your rifle in or attached to your pack, but not tactical setups or anything half way heavy. I never could get comfortalbe enough with a rifle flopping around from side to side. Also, be carefull on how large of a pack you get. I like around 2500ci for day hunting out of camp. I can take everything i want for all day and have room for one meat trip back to camp. Back packing in is a bit different and the size depends on the rest of your kit.

NOTHING beats a real ridged pack frame for packing meat. When i get back off goes my MR pack and on goes my meat hauler.

Alaska Range back packs out of Homer AK. For a hunter / frieghter pack, prob no equal.

http://www.akrange.com/products.html

For carrying a rifle, drill two holes in the frame, bolt on a metal hook. Sling your rifle over the hook, very quick and easy access to your pop gun but will stay hooked while hunting. For steep terrain or alder thickets, bunjee clip the sling at the bottom to the frame of the pack pulling slightly down with a big easy to unclip karabiner.

Good info all. Thanks for the comments, you guys are all bringing up things that I want to avoid BEFORE I buy.
wink.gif

Glen, the rifle flopping would be a really big deal to me. I wondered about ease of in/out vs. secure. I'm tall but not big and the terrain that would necessitate the pack would also be unmanageable for me if the rifle were not secured. I *do* like the fact that it is held close to CG instead of lashed on the back, but I'm thinking that lashed might just be the better compromise, then I just use whatever pack I want.

Up until recently most of my hunting was done with a Badlands Monster fannypack. If I shot something we just drug it back out. But wolves, winters, mountain lions and grizzlies have had quite an impact here and I'm having to get in further and further to find any game, let alone big mulies and elk. If it was a matter of simply walking in on a FS road, that would be simple. But a lot of the hiking is straight up and straight down. No more dragging out animals!

I'm thinking right now that Glen's idea sounds the most practical. Really good stout daypack and pack out what I can in the first trip, then put on the external frame and hump the rest out.

Mystery Ranch is in Bozeman IIRC. I'll have to drop by there on a trip to visit my kids at MSU.

Thanks again for your thoughts and continue to chime in if you think of something. I haven't *decided* yet, just leaning.

John

For day trips out of a camp, a freighter pack is hard to beat. You can lash on a day pack to carry the essentials. Every trip will be with a game load. Most of my hunting was by float and fly in. My guiding was by human power.

Mystery Ranch / Dana Gleason packs are known to carry heavy load well but in my experience and other guides in Alaska, Gregory Denali carry odd size loads like meat much better. The stays are bolted onto the waist belt, sort of like an external frame. Gregory waist belt is much stiffer to carry heavy loads better, Dana's designs have a softer more comfy waist belt, feels great at home and backpacking but carrying heavy odd loads like meat, fuel, wood, etc, the Gregory is better. But, no internal will carry meat and odd heavy objects like a freighter pack.

Having access to your rifle is very personal, I like mine hung and lashed, it was a trick learned to me many years ago. Short gun is on my chest in a rig.

Good luck

Very hard to beat a good sling on the rifle instead of attaching it to your pack. Only time i could stand it fixed to something was when walking out in the dark. Too many opertunities to miss.

We hunt in some prety nasty mountains around here. I use a MR longbow pack system. The Nice internal frame would be great for boned out meat, but too small to put a elk hind quarter on.

If you put on a MR pack you will want one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For day trips out of a camp, a freighter pack is hard to beat. You can lash on a day pack to carry the essentials. Every trip will be with a game load. Most of my hunting was by float and fly in. My guiding was by human power.

Mystery Ranch / Dana Gleason packs are known to carry heavy load well but in my experience and other guides in Alaska, Gregory Denali carry odd size loads like meat much better. The stays are bolted onto the waist belt, sort of like an external frame. Gregory waist belt is much stiffer to carry heavy loads better, Dana's designs have a softer more comfy waist belt, feels great at home and backpacking but carrying heavy odd loads like meat, fuel, wood, etc, the Gregory is better. But, no internal will carry meat and odd heavy objects like a freighter pack.

Having access to your rifle is very personal, I like mine hung and lashed, it was a trick learned to me many years ago. Short gun is on my chest in a rig.

Good luck </div></div>

I have a Gregory external frame backpack and I love it. I've carried over 80 lbs. in it and it feels like about 50. It really doesn't have the capacity to carry a lot of meat though. The freighter pack is a good idea too. Very modular.

Glen,

What sling/swivel setup are you using? I have a stiff nylon sling mounted to flushcups on the side (tactical style). It's setup more for offhand shooting support than carry and is NOT quickly adjustable. The rifle does carry very nicely that way with just my fanny back, but with a back pack, at least the one I used last trip, my rifle kept falling down of my shoulder. It was maddening and part of the reason why we just lashed it. Climbing straight up in the dark, in loose shale, in a burned out area that's ripe with Grizzlies, where you can't trust the trees for handholds *AND* fighting my rifle is not an experience I want to re-live.
wink.gif

I know, I should have started this process a LONG time ago.
grin.gif

John

I have packed meat out with a varied number of packs/devices and my go to freight hauling goes to a Dana Designs Longbed (Terraframe,
DanaDesignTerraframe.jpg

I also used a Kely Super Tioga before the DD) external frame and bag. It can easily carry an elk or moose quarter and does not throw your balance off or ride too rough on the back. For hunting I tried the Nimrod waist pack with a bag that folded out to carry out the first load
NimrodPack.jpg

(not bad but not good) several Kifaru packs with the load haulers and now am going to give the Mystery Mountain Crewcab
Cewcab2.jpg

a go. It is basically a day pack that will expand, if necessary into a meat hauler. I am not sure on the rifle carry but am thinking in a scabbard on the back might work well
Crewcab.jpg

while riding the scooter or climbing in the super steeps where hands and feet are required (rather than slinging across the back with a pack on). Time will tell. Like they said the Crewcab feels nice at home but hope to fill er up this weekend and try some climbs and hikes to see how it works.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man I really like that Gregory Denali. To bad it doesn't come in Multicam.
wink.gif

-Pat </div></div>

The sheep hunting forums I use to follow rated the old Dana Designs TerraFrame the best pack for hauling out game in the steep country where sheep reside. The Terraplane and Astralplane ranked well as well (before K2 , then Marmot, bought them out).

My Terraplane is 15 to 20 years old and still works better than anything I have seen for packing. If I am going into the crap hole I will even hunt in the Terraplane but prefer somethig smaller and lighter for the first trip in and out. Pack out the tenderloins, backstraps and antlers then freighter frame out the quarters. I have packed half an elk out in one trip with the DD pack (my knees never recovered
crazy.gif
)

Pat

LOTS of good input form a bunch of guys that I can tell use there equipment. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

When I bought my Gregory backpack, I researched for months, but it was the three hours in the store, loading 50 lbs. of sand bags into backpacks and then walking around with them, that finally told me what I really needed to know.

I think I *might* be to that point. I need to go try some on and walk around with weight in them (I'll take my rifle too. that'll be good for a laugh). Although it IS Montana. Probably won't think twice.
wink.gif

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I'll post back after my field trip to try on packs.

John

Good advice. Was JUST there... ARGHHH! Wife was with me and first I saw Blackhawk's mfg. facility and wanted to stop, then when we saw Mystery Ranch I knew I'd used up my husband points when her eyes rolled back in her head.
grin.gif

Next trip. Probably soon... I think my daughter is getting engaged tonite.
wink.gif

John

When I bought my Gregory backpack, I researched for months, but it was the three hours in the store, loading 50 lbs. of sand bags into backpacks and then walking around with them, that finally told me what I really needed to know.

I think I *might* be to that point. I need to go try some on and walk around with weight in them (I'll take my rifle too. that'll be good for a laugh). Although it IS Montana. Probably won't think twice.
wink.gif

John </div></div>

To be honest, I really hated pack fitting. It took so much time and I would re-fit even after my customer used it. This was the best, have them load it up, use it for a trip then bring it back in loaded up, I would re-fit it. This is the only way to understand if a pack fits you or not. I even fit a few packs bought at REI but once the word was out, I stopped it. I have seen too many wrong packs. But, instead of just sand bags for weight, I used heavy odd objects too and have customer up and down a flight of stairs. I had no issue with customer bringing firearms into the shop, as long as they handled it safely but never had an issue.

I still recommend the Gregory Denali for an internal pack. Do not have the sales numbers in front of me but the shop easily sold 4 to 1 over the Dana's. Once loaded side by side, the Gregory was the clear winner even with Dana having the higher name recognition through advertising, many converts too. But, it did not fit everyone.

Go to a good pack fitting shop, bring in a cup of coffee for both you and the pack fitter, and get it done right.

If you really want the best out there and are willing to pay for it, McHale Packs. They are like ordering a custom built rifle! Once you get your hands on one and it on your back, you will understand why there are those willing to pay $1k for a back pack. http://www.mchalepacks.com/

I use the Kifaru gunbearer and like it very much. My wife and son also use it and like it for hunting: easy to get your rifle quickly.

My current set up is Mystery Ranch packs with the Kifaru Gunbearer. I lash the rifle to the side of the pack rather than using the shoulder strap loop. It is a little slower to release, but carries much better on the hips.

I tried one of the Eberlestock and was not a big fan of that method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Kifaru gunbearer and like it very much. My wife and son also use it and like it for hunting: easy to get your rifle quickly.

My current set up is Mystery Ranch packs with the Kifaru Gunbearer. I lash the rifle to the side of the pack rather than using the shoulder strap loop. It is a little slower to release, but carries much better on the hips.

I tried one of the Eberlestock and was not a big fan of that method. </div></div>

Do you have some photos and verbage on how you rig this up?

Thanks
Pat

Sure, here's my son modeling a few pictures. The pack is a Mystery Ranch Wolf (it's a little big for the boy).

attach to waist belt as far to the rear as possible to get it to sit upright.
9tka6w.jpg

This is one way to carry that allows quick deployment. Just place the butt in the holster and put the sling on your shoulder.
fnspsj.jpg

For hands free carry (slower to deploy), strap the rifle to the pack. This is very comfortable and you just hit the release buckles to detach the rifle. This is great when you don't need the rifle on a moments notice and when you need your hands, like scrambling up a mountainside.
209nlsl.jpg

This last picture is a Mystery Ranch Bighorn: more of a 3-day pack.
64fbix.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure, here's my son modeling a few pictures. The pack is a Mystery Ranch Wolf (it's a little big for the boy).

attach to waist belt as far to the rear as possible to get it to sit upright.
9tka6w.jpg

This is one way to carry that allows quick deployment. Just place the butt in the holster and put the sling on your shoulder.
fnspsj.jpg

For hands free carry (slower to deploy), strap the rifle to the pack. This is very comfortable and you just hit the release buckles to detach the rifle. This is great when you don't need the rifle on a moments notice and when you need your hands, like scrambling up a mountainside.
209nlsl.jpg

This last picture is a Mystery Ranch Bighorn: more of a 3-day pack.
64fbix.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks for the photos.

I will give it a try on my MR Crewcab and see which I like better the Kifaru system or the Nimrod scabbard. I am trying to figure out a bit different application that would provide the hands free convenience of the third photo only a bit more available on a moments notice. I will see if I can figure out an attachment more in-line with the upper attachment point that comes with the Gunbearer. I don't really like the rifle in front of my shoulder as the Gunbearer was designed...guess too old of a dog.
smile.gif

Thanks Again.
Pat

I like the fact that the behind-the-shoulder carry negates the effect of a large exposed turret scope like my Razor. Having that thing under my arm would never work.

John

i have a eberlestock just one j34 and love it so far. only down fall is the size of the scabbord, but it was designed for a hunting rifle and not a tactical rig. right now i have a 26" barreled 300WM on a AIC's with a 56mm NXS and it barely squeezes in there with the mag out. the pack really is a nice pack though and can do many a task.

that side scabard for just the rifle butt is a great idea. it would be better for when i am actually hunting to help take the load off a bit, and make the gun more accessible. i might have to order one for the pack. once the hunt is over the eberlstock scabbord is nice to pack the rifle out with.

I have the eberlestock dragonfly. Having integrated scabbard protects the rifle better, and can be used as a drag/range bag, but is slower. I have no problem getting my rifle out without unshouldering my pack. I use Mcmillian A5 stock with 5-round magazine. Duffle bag is good for packing meat, and gear that can be stored at campsite. Expandable capacity is a great plus.