• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bad Mother Fucker

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.

He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.

Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.

Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.

Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on Wednesday.

The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.

"There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taliban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone," he said.

"I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.

"After that I thought nobody can kill us now -- when we met the enemy I wasn't scared."

Britain's Major General Nicholas Carter, who was commander of allied forces in southern Afghanistan during Pun's deployment, praised his efforts.

"The CGC does not get handed out lightly. It was a most remarkable achievement," he said.

Re: Bad Mother Fucker

Finally someone stood up for something. I see too many people these days just ducking and covering, "its not my war, why fight" type of attitude.

Praises to Dipprasad Pun.

But did he get the wallet?

bmfwallet.jpg

Still waiting to see one of those in an EDC thread ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But did he get the wallet?

bmfwallet.jpg

Still waiting to see one of those in an EDC thread ...</div></div>

Need to mail him one of those!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is this; why didn't this badass Mo-Fo get the Victoria Cross??? </div></div>

Was wondering that myself. I bet if he'd been white he w would have.

Since 1858 there have been only 13 Gurkah soldiers awarded the VC... WW1 and WW2... the last being 1965 for action in Borneo.

I'm not counting the other few VC's awarded prior to WW1 because most all of those were Officers of the Batallion, all British assigned to the Gurkahs.

Interestingly, the Gurkahs are still recruited by competition in Nepal... which isn't a Commonwealth member and has always been Independent from England. Besides Buddhist Priests... becomming a member of the Gurkahs is the highest honor one can achieve in Nepalese society.

It all sounds similar in many regards to Keith Paynes VC, I would be interested to know why this Gurkha gentlemen was denied.

NOTE: below is an account of Paynes actions

Keith Payne VC
    24492 Warrant Officer Class II Keith PAYNE
    Australian Army Training Team, Vietnam
    24th May 1969, Konum Province, South Vietnam
    "On 24TH May 1969, in Kontum Province, Warrant Officer Payne was Commanding 212th Company of 1st Mobile Strike Force Battalion when the battalion was attacked by a North Vietnamese force of superior strength. Under this heavy attack the indigenous soldiers began to fall back. Directly exposing himself to the enemy's fire, Warrant Officer Payne, through his own efforts, temporarily held off the assaults by alternately firing his weapon and running from position to position collecting grenades and throwing them at the assaulting enemy. While doing this he was wounded in the hand and arms. Despite his outstanding efforts, the indigenous soldiers gave way under the enemy's increased pressure and the Battalion Commander, together with several advisors and a few soldiers, withdrew. Paying no attention to his wounds and under extremely heavy enemy fire, Warrant Officer Payne covered his withdrawal by throwing grenades and firing his own weapon at the enemy who were attempting to follow up. Still under fire, he then ran across exposed ground to head off his own troops who were withdrawing in disorder. He successfully stopped them and organised the remnants of his and the second company into a temporary defensive perimeter by nightfall.
    Having achieved this, Warrant Officer Payne of his own accord and at great personal risk, moved out of the perimeter into the darkness alone in an attempt to find the wounded and other indigenous soldiers. He finally collected forty lost soldiers, some of whom had been wounded and returned with this group to the temporary defensive position he had left, only to find that the remainder of the battalion had moved back. Undeterred by this setback and personally assisting a seriously wounded American advisor he led the group through the enemy to the safety of his battalion base. His sustained and heroic personal efforts, in this action were outstanding and undoubtedly saved the lives of a large number of his indigenous soldiers and several of his fellow advisors.
    Warrant Officer Payne's repeated acts of exceptional personal bravery and unselfish conduct in this operation were an inspiration to all Vietnamese, United States and Australian soldiers who served with him. His conspicuous gallantry was in the highest traditions of the Australian Army"
    [London Gazette; 19 September 1969.]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only question is this; why didn't this badass Mo-Fo get the Victoria Cross??? </div></div>

Was wondering that myself. I bet if he'd been white he w would have. </div></div>

No VC for native troops until after 1911: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Order_of_Merit As it is, Blighty has always been a bit cheap with recognition for anyone not her own.

You do know that the medal he got was the second highest right? Also, the critierias(sic?) are completely different.
    The Victoria Cross is given to those who save the lives of others and they are often given to those who have died because of their actions.
    And Pun was on his own because his Afghan counterparts had fled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramrod14(winkie)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do know that the medal he got was the second highest right? Also, the critierias(sic?) are completely different.
    The Victoria Cross is given to those who save the lives of others and they are often given to those who have died because of their actions.
    And Pun was on his own because his Afghan counterparts had fled. </div></div>

Exactly. Self preservation rather than saving others.

During WWII, James Ward almost didn't get his VC for crawling out onto the wing of a Wellington bomber and putting out an engine fire after a night-fighter attack over Germany. The recommendation for a VC was a matter of discussion at the time. Senior RAF officers questioned whether a VC was appropriate since his actions had some aspect of self-preservation.

Sniff