• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Badger Ordnance or DD Ross

RIGREG

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2023
Rhode Island
Are the Badger M4 and DD Ross M40A3 bottom metals the same as far as fit and function? I have no plans for a clone build with either, but I like the idea of an all steel trigger guard for a future Remington 700 BDL. Are they both nearly a direct drop in for a standard BDL inlet?

While either one can still be found, I don’t want to wish I had bought one in a year or two, if I decide to build an upgraded REM 700.

Thanks,
Greg

No, the DD Ross M1 profile is different (mostly larger in dimensions) than the Badger Ordnance M4 profile. Both are larger than the standard R700 BDL profile.

Reactions: RIGREG
I guess inlet isn’t an issue at this point. I have an early McMillan SA, ADL, heavy barrel inlet stock that I got for a song, and I’m always looking an older action to put in it. I’m hoping I can find a nice, serviceable 22-250 cheap. I already have a few Weaver T10s and a Redfield 4x-12x Accu-Range for the optic. Basically, I have a lot of by-products from my search for M40/M40A1 parts accumulating.

The BO part is sold in the white, the Ross is blued. That would save me a step, and might be the deciding factor.

I guess inlet isn’t an issue at this point. I have an early McMillan SA, ADL, heavy barrel inlet stock that I got for a song, and I’m always looking an older action to put in it. I’m hoping I can find a nice, serviceable 22-250 cheap. I already have a few Weaver T10s and a Redfield 4x-12x Accu-Range for the optic. Basically, I have a lot of by-products from my search for M40/M40A1 parts accumulating.

The BO part is sold in the white, the Ross is blued. That would save me a step, and might be the deciding factor.
If you are looking to build an M40 or an A1 it uses neither the M4 or DD bottom metal

Post some photos of the stock. Is it an HTG stock? An “early McMillan SA, ADL, heavy barrel inlet stock” can be any number of stocks.

But to the above post’s point, neither a Badger M4 or DD Ross M1 would be appropriate for an older, more vintage, USMC M40 or M40A1 inspired build like you sound like you want to do. A regular BDL floorplate sounds more in line with what you say you want to do. Or if it is an early HTG stock, having an ADL trigger guard opened up to an M40A1 modified Win 70 bottom metal inlet should be doable by an experienced stock worker if you want to go more clone “spec”.

@kft101 Thanks for the replies and guidance. You’ve forced me to actually look at the BDL floor plate fit.
This isn’t any type of inspired build. More of a Frankenstein build. I have my parts for my various M40/xx builds. I just want to use up some excess. In the year I’ve been following this forum, I’ve made some good purchases and almost as many mistakes. I’ve developed an appreciation for McMillan, Redfield, T10/16s and Remington 700s and 40Xs. Im also hoping the MST 100 and LRI base come to fulfillment.

Pics of the stock and a couple mock up fits:

IMG_1358.jpeg

Is that enough meat to inlet the BDL floor plate?

IMG_1357.jpeg

Repro M40A1. I wouldn’t be using one of these.

IMG_1356.jpeg

.22 cal 40X slated for a rimfire M40 build.

IMG_1359.jpeg

Previous bedding. Stock came from seller in CO. Does the name “Pace”ring any bells?

IMG_1361.jpeg

Just any early? bench rest stock, I guess.

All of this aside, if I want a steel bottom metal, to put away for a future, non clone build, it sounds like BO might be a bit more adaptable. Is that a fair assessment?

Thanks for checking these out. Any input is appreciated.
Greg

Reactions: kft101 and lmc08541
That’s definitely an old McMillan stock, lol. Probably a discontinued line, especially since it looks like it has a solid color molded-in finish. If you check out McMillan’s flat-top only stocks page, you’ll see many of their older lines that look very similar to yours: https://mcmillanusa.com/flattoponlystocks/

As for bottom metal, per the above posts, either should work for you. You can also just get it opened up to the BDL footprint, and use either factory aluminum BDL bottom metal or a myriad of aftermarket steel bottom metals that fit the BDL footprint too, which would also look more in-line with the age of the stock.

But you definitely have options. Nice stock.

Reactions: RIGREG and lmc08541
Thanks all. I just ordered the BO. I’ll put it away until an orphaned 700 SA BDL crosses my path. Hesitation cost me about $70. Badger Ordnance had them on their site for $262. Of course they’re sold out. They must have been clearing them out. I went with Midway, but a couple other reputable vendors had them in stock.
If you’re waffling like I was, you might want to grab one now. If Badger was marking them down, they might not be planning another run anytime soon. But what do I know?

I might send a picture off to McMillan for positive Identification. Their FAQ page says they’ll verify if a stock you have is actually theirs.

BTW, I have 2 newer BDL bottom metal if you need one.
Thanks for the offer. I have a surplus of excess BDL floor plates. My 6 digit M40A1 donors are both BDL’s, which will get repro M70 BM. I also bought a few early floor plates prior to that in case my M40 donors were ADLs. I’ve been through a quick, but bearable learning curve.

1. What are the right parts and how correct do I want to be?
2. Which ones are common vs hard to source.
3. What is my Patience threshold when the price seems too high?

Without this forum, I don’t know where I’d be right now.

Reactions: lmc08541
Thanks for the offer. I have a surplus of excess BDL floor plates. My 6 digit M40A1 donors are both BDL’s, which will get repro M70 BM. I also bought a few early floor plates prior to that in case my M40 donors were ADLs. I’ve been through a quick, but bearable learning curve.

1. What are the right parts and how correct do I want to be?
2. Which ones are common vs hard to source.
3. What is my Patience threshold when the price seems too high?

Without this forum, I don’t know where I’d be right now.
You and me both brother!